Noise through Autocom

beemerbird

Please help! I have an Autocom Pro 7 Sport on my 12GS, running a UHF and an iPod. This was installed by the local BMW dealer on Friday, but they had never installed one with either UHF or iPod before.

With the ignition ON, there is just the very slightest hiss, almost inaudible. But as soon as I start the engine, it builds to a totally unacceptable level. As I am leaving Tasmania tonight for an 8 week, 18000km trip through the outback, I'd really like to have it working properly.

Has anyone any helpful suggestions, please? I'm NOT technically/mechanically minded, so please keep it as simple as possible!!

Thanks in advance

Margaret
blue/black/black

Hi

1) Where is the Autocom, iPod & UHF unit located.........?

2) Are ALL power & ancilliary cables screened?

Cheers

Dutch

Just took delivery of my GSAdv with Autocom - Active7. No hissing here, although I can hear a ticking noise which sounds like the HT side of the ignition.

Its definately not a major prob though.

Not to derail - but as I've never had a autocom - and it sounds like the lady above hasn't either. Is it normal to hear *any* engine related noises through the autocom?

Had my autocom fitted on my 1150GS for a couple of years and on a K12RS for about 3 years before that. Never had any noise on it so no, don't think it is 'normal'.

Same here.........ticking RF interference from HT current....

Well worth speaking the the guys at Autocom...they seem very helpfull and knowledgeable......sounds like perhaps the suppression isn't geared to sort out interference in the UHF range....if anyone will know though, they will.

I guess that since you are leaving "tonight", this and any other reply will be too late.
The simplest solution may be to fit an isolator cable, available from http://www.accessoryworkshop.com/products/index.html
However, delivery will take a week.
I am having the same problem.
I fitted the BMW auxiliary power outlet on the top-front of the fairing, and run power into my tankbag using the accessories from http://www.powerletproducts.com/
My iPod works fine using its own battery, but there is a significant noise with the ignition switched on.
There is no problem with the Autocom itself.
I suspect that the BMW power cable routed to the front is the problem, and I am going to try re-routing it, but may be unable to do so due to it being a standard BMW item meant to fit where it was designed to fit.
I am going to try picking up the power from the rear outlet, but haven't got to that yet.
Good luck on your trip, this is the ideal time of year,
Ciao,

Yes, Wayne, I've now worked out that the problem seems to be the additional accessory socket, which is wired direct to the battery. It works fine if I run the iPod on its own battery/power through the Autocom, but as soon as I plug the cable into the aux socket to power the iPod, the noise level increases tremendously.

Thanks all, for your advice.

Margaret

beemerbird said:
Yes, Wayne, I've now worked out that the problem seems to be the additional accessory socket, which is wired direct to the battery. It works fine if I run the iPod on its own battery/power through the Autocom, but as soon as I plug the cable into the aux socket to power the iPod, the noise level increases tremendously.

Thanks all, for your advice.

Margaret

If you want a system that works 100% then have a look at the Baehr intercom. It does cost a lot more than autocom, but its a BMW compared to a Skoda (Autocom).

www.baehrintercoms.com

kiwiAdventure said:
If you want a system that works 100% then have a look at the Baehr intercom. It does cost a lot more than autocom, but its a BMW compared to a Skoda (Autocom)
That last sentence is actually a load of marketing B...S....
There is no problem with the Autocom itself, and the Baehr would suffer exactly the same problem in the same configuration, as would any other intercom system.
The issue stems from the comms cable to the iPod picking up interference from the ignition system via the external power source. If you ditched the intercom and listened to the iPod using simple ear buds or other headphones, you would still have exactly the same problem.
And incidentally, the Baehr distributor claims, and I believe him, that the Baehr system is no more expensive than the Autocom for equivalent capability.
But I applaud your loyalty to Baehr, and am delighted that you are happy with it.

Vampire said:
That last sentence is actually a load of marketing B...S....
There is no problem with the Autocom itself, and the Baehr would suffer exactly the same problem in the same configuration, as would any other intercom system.
The issue stems from the comms cable to the iPod picking up interference from the ignition system via the external power source. If you ditched the intercom and listened to the iPod using simple ear buds or other headphones, you would still have exactly the same problem.
And incidentally, the Baehr distributor claims, and I believe him, that the Baehr system is no more expensive than the Autocom for equivalent capability.
But I applaud your loyalty to Baehr, and am delighted that you are happy with it.

I have tried both! I never beleave what distributors say. I try before I buy. When you have let me know. Try them both at 200kph with an open face helmet on. I can talk and hear on the Baehr just like sitting having a coffee at home. All other systems where toast at 100kph

kiwiAdventure said:
........at 200kph with an open face helmet on....
Why would you want to do that ???
Now I know that you Kiwis are an adventurous lot, but this strikes me as, well, silly.
I wear a full face helmet, and would do so even if there was no helmet legislation. The amount of bugs, twigs, rocks, leaves, branches, and other debris that rattles my helmet visor during a day's ride is enough to convince me that riding without that sort of face protection is not in my best interests. Not that I am not brave, well maybe not, but unnecessary damage to my eyes and face is not a practice I would promote.
So riding at 200kph with an open face helmet, nah, I want to be able to ride again tomorrow.

Vampire said:
Why would you want to do that ???
Now I know that you Kiwis are an adventurous lot, but this strikes me as, well, silly.
I wear a full face helmet, and would do so even if there was no helmet legislation. The amount of bugs, twigs, rocks, leaves, branches, and other debris that rattles my helmet visor during a day's ride is enough to convince me that riding without that sort of face protection is not in my best interests. Not that I am not brave, well maybe not, but unnecessary damage to my eyes and face is not a practice I would promote.
So riding at 200kph with an open face helmet, nah, I want to be able to ride again tomorrow.

Pussy (Joking)

I've been riding for 31 years and only had one bee sting and that was last year.
I don't drive all the time a 200kph, but it is fun.
The lastest news is full face helmets break to many necks. An open face helmet my take half your face off, but they can rebuild most of it and you can get up and work out.
I must say I have changed to a fullface without the visor. I'm looking at changing back.
I love the BMW evo system 4 helmet as I can use all 4 options in a days ride.:beerjug:

Back
Top Bottom