Whatton goes mad in Norfolk - A Ride Report

• Thread starter Deleted account W
  • Start date

Deleted account W

So my mate asks me and the wife over to his place in Norfolk for a meal to celebrate his 40th.

I’ve done the usual run to his place five times already this year and the A52, A17 then the A47 wasn’t something I was looking forward to.

I had a play with Mapsource and devised a cunning plan, at least I thought it was cunning at the time, I’d go as far as saying fecking stupid plan with hindsight.

The route avoided “A” roads as much as possible. I loaded it up and we set off at 11:30 on Saturday.

6778745-M.jpg

The roads varied from the usual back lanes to gravely tarmac single car width tracks with grass growing down the middle.

We’d told our hosts we would be with the for half three which left us plenty of time, so I wasn’t overly concerned at the sedate pace we were making.

We stopped in Wisbech for fags, fish and chips.

6778549-M.jpg

We left civilisation again (Wisbech is not normally associated with civilisation but it was the nearest we got), the sat nav sending us down the smallest lanes it could find.

During the next leg of the journey we stopped for a fag and a drink

6778551-M.jpg

And one of these passed us

6778555-M.jpg

Then another

6778557-M.jpg

And another

6778560-M.jpg

Nice basket on the back, wonder where he got that idea?

Then this chap stopped.

6778561-M.jpg

Turns out he’s a GS owner as well. He posted once on the board as “Andyabes” about a run to Le Touquet. He’d just got back from a run to Rome on his GS and explained the bikes we’re on a vintage run. His was a 1927 AGS 300cc (?) single. When he rode off he’d left about half a pint of oil on the road where he’d stopped.

We got going and the sat nav directed us into the grounds of a college and down a gravel road for about a mile, wonderful ? A few miles later we turn down a road called Mill Lane, windmill? Cotton mill?

No………. water mill, with a ford.

The waters only 4” deep but the road under the water’s a green slimey concrete slab.

Ah well all or nothing.

So I dropped the bike in the middle of it and deposited the wife on her arse in the water. I made sure I was ok and tried to lift the bike up, but it just slid on the green slime. A couple of blokes who were fishing in the millpond came over and helped get the bike upright. The wife got out the water and told me the new leathers we bought off Metalman’s Georgia last week were definitely waterproof, so that was a bonus.

6778563-M.jpg

The wife had another paddle and a fag.

6778565-M.jpg

We carried on down the ancient highways and byways of Norfolk until we reached the end of "Reedham Ferry Lane"...........I should have guessed what was at the end really?

6778567-M.jpg

It was now five o’clock and we’d only done 146 miles in five and a half hours, hardly a cracking pace.

6778571-M.jpg

We made my mates house half an hour later and got a nice welcome from his youngest son Raff.

6778573-M.jpg

Beers, champagne, meal, micro brewery bitter, Brandy, bullshit, bed, full English and back on the bike with the sat nav set to work out the fastest route home.

We stopped for fuel and then twice for fags.

6778577-M.jpg

We made it home in two hours ten minutes after covering 121 miles.

We overtook everything and nothing passed us. Entertaining but not in the same way as the previous days ride.

A nice warm up run before Ireland next weekend.

Got back in time for a few down the local in a sunny beer garden, which was nice.

Not the same kind of ride report as our overland adventurers but an adventure for Liz and me.

6778564-M.jpg

After this experience I take it you will be leaving a bit earlier for Lachinch.....

Tuesday would be about right!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

Was that a big map you had rolled up and straped on the bike as a back up?

Or more likely tasteless wallpaper.

Excellent story and with pictures - lifes funnier if you take the longer route obviousy!

It was my mates birthday prezie. an extreamly large laminated map of the world.

Bought before I decided to go on the bike. I would reccomend it to anyone doing a RTW trip as it stood the drop in the rageing torrents of the ford.

;) :)

I won't have the excess luggage on the way to Lahinch so I'll be setting a differant pace.

Oh and your a Tosser Tuned, see you in the bar, I'll be there before you. :D

Whatton said:
I won't have the excess luggage on the way to Lahinch so I'll be setting a differant pace.

Oh and your a Tosser Tuned, see you in the bar, I'll be there before you. :D [/B]

OH YA THINK SO ?

Possibly you plan to follow someone who knows where they’re going!!!!

:beer: :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer:

TUNED IN said:

Possibly you plan to follow someone who knows where they’re going!!!!

No, I've a tea towel with a map of Ireland by Auntie brought me back from a day trip to Dublin, so I've got my navigational problems sorted. :beer:

On re-reading your exploits I spotted this....

"So I dropped the bike in the middle of it and deposited the wife on her arse in the water. I made sure I was ok and tried to lift the bike up"

The true love and devotion for your wife seems totally under whelming..
:D :D :D :D :D :D

At least you didn't say big arse :p :p :p :p

P.S I just want to point out that i'm not saying your better half has a big arse before you start. (Just in case she's reading this too):rolleyes: ;)

Whatton said:
No, I've a tea towel with a map of Ireland by Auntie brought me back from a day trip to Dublin, so I've got my navigational problems sorted. :beer:

now that had me laughin' out loud .:D :D :D :D :D :D.........

only cause it might be true

The wife knew i needed to attend to our only means of escape from the situation, and later thanked me for my choice of actions in an emergency. she's very pragmatic.

And very p*ssed this afternoon, in bed now sleeping it off.

:beerjug:

Attachments

• screenshot063.jpg
    screenshot063.jpg
    22.3 KB · Views: 172
Very ressonably priced, this one looks nice and jolly.....

Attachments

• screenshot064.jpg
    screenshot064.jpg
    29.1 KB · Views: 166
the funny bit is there sellin' joey dunlop tea towels too.

p.s. i would think it would be a good idea to bring that tea towel with you to Lachinch. it would go down a treat.....:D

TUNED IN said:

p.s. i would think it would be a good idea to bring that tea towel with you to Lachinch. it would go down a treat.....:D

Ahh now your just trying to get me in trouble, I've no idea about all this kind of stuff.

I'll be wearing my usual camping headwear, a bowler hat and my flouresant orange sash for safety on your unlit country roads.

:)

Whatton said:
Ahh now your just trying to get me in trouble, I've no idea about all this kind of stuff.

I'll be wearing my usual camping headwear, a bowler hat and my flouresant orange sash for safety on your unlit country roads.

:)

I think you'll find a lot of "re-routing" if you wear that gear

TUNED IN said:
I think you'll find a lot of "re-routing" if you wear that gear

Fair enough, should I pack my Celtic/Liverpool top or my Rangers/Man Utd top then. :)

TUNED IN said:

is this your map?

I think you may have the wrong Island on that tea towel. Mines not that shape at all :confused:
According to my tea towel I'll be riding from Rozel Bay via St Helier to St Ouens Bay, which must be near Lahinch as it's on the west coast.

See you there. :)

Back
Top Bottom