poorly demo bike at Rydales

wessie

Reaction score
I had a 24k service done at Rydales today. They also did some safety recall stuff so I have shiny new front brake lines courtesy of BMW.

Very thorough job with some good feedback from the technician.

However, I had hoped to have their 1200GS for the day. "It's off the road," says Crampie. He did not elaborate the precise nature of the problem.

Further enquiries with other members of staff established that it is flashing up a bunch of warning lights. The puzzled expression seemed to indicate that they have not fixed it yet.

They gave me a 650GS which I must say is quite the most bland bike I've ridden in some time. The 650CS I had last time was much better as it had very low gearing and was much better around town.

I heard that someone took it out for a test ride, thought that it was low on oil (it wasn't) and put a litre of low grade shite oil into the sump.

That would knacker it, for sure.

?

retroman said:
I heard that someone took it out for a test ride, thought that it was low on oil (it wasn't) and put a litre of low grade shite oil into the sump.

I heard the oil overfill tale about 3 weeks ago:confused:

I reckon a flush and re-fill should have sorted it out,if that's really all it was:eek:

wessie said:
I had a 24k service done at Rydales today. They also did some safety recall stuff so I have shiny new front brake lines courtesy of BMW.

Very thorough job with some good feedback from the technician.
Hmm, my right brake line in the front snapped off today, I completely lost front brake. Quite alarming I would say, I will take the bike to the dealer tomorrow. It's quite nervous to ride with just rear brake.
I wonder if they are coming out with updated more stronger ones.

retroman said:

1)Why would they think it was low on oil if it wasnt?

2) What exactly could one call 'low grade' available from any UK source that would be lower grade than the oil put in at new by the dealer?

wessie said:
They gave me a 650GS which I must say is quite the most bland bike I've ridden in some time

Bland, eh?? Bu**er, I'd never actually realised it. All this time I thought I was having fun thrashing the nuts off of mine, touring, trailing, commuting, grinning, filtering, whatevering.

But now it'll never be the same again.... bland... dammit. Ho humm.

?

retroman said:

Rydale's 1200 is still in the sick bay:confused:
It was supposed to be booked out to me whilst they replace my Adventure gearbox.
Sales staff were not forthcoming about what the problem is,but they seemed not to like it when I suggested that their 1200 had spent more time in dock than actually "demonstrating":eek:
The local rumour mill suggests that it's an electrickery problem,maybe connected to the alarm-maybe not,I'm told that when the ignition key is turned the rider display shows thousands of faults:rolleyes:
Feck the 1200,think I'll keep my Adventure;)

Mike O said:
Bloody Hell Kave - how/why did it happen?

Mike:eek:

Hopefully Kave will spill the beans but have you seen the fluid splitting system on the front of the 12gs Mike??

The pipe goes into the fork brace via a banjo fitting where it's presumably split and comes out ito two more banjo fittings...I didn't like the look of it when i had a good poke around (think I posted about it at the time actually)......I bet the banjo fittings have failed.

Fanum said:
I bet the banjo fittings have failed.
this is correct... the problem is known by bmw and affects a number of bikes (don't know how much). dealers are informed about the problem (i don't know for the uk but i presume also) and they must check the banjo fittings

if this is checked and found ok one have to sign a paper that this controle/repair has happened.

grtz

Mike O said:
Bloody Hell Kave - how/why did it happen?

Mike:eek:
I am sorry to keep you waiting but since my bike was at the shop until Wednesday last week I thought I won't comment further since BMW are very keen about this problem.
On my bike the L shaped brake pipe that is mounted on the brake cylinder snapped off. It happend when I noticed something wet on my shoe. I stopped and had a look. I trued shaking every part on the front and when I came to the L part it snapped off. This resulted in a total loss of brake on the front wheel. I elevated the brake pipe to keep it from spilling out all brake fluid and disabled the ABS system. Then I drove home very gently that day.
I drove to the shop who emmediatly ordered a set of new brake pipes which arrived after a week.
Now the bike is working fine again.
The Swedish BMW service manager have inspected the bike and have come to the conclusion that someone have tampered with the pipe, either when on a ferry or another occasion.
The service manager also inspected my final drive and said it is all ok.

Kave said:
The Swedish BMW service manager have inspected the bike and have come to the conclusion that someone have tampered with the pipe, either when on a ferry or another occasion.

Tampered with..?!

'Scuse my ignorance, but "tampered with" - that sounds quite far fetched to me.

For brake parts to "break" someone has really got to make an effort. I've seen bikes in huge accidents, and still have brakes...

Of course, I don't know exactly what piece it is that you're talking about, but still...

How sure was he about this?

Good to see the bike's back on the road tho!

Back
Top Bottom