Ride to Chernobyl 2011 - 5 spaces left

brucewayne

Reaction score
If you have 2 weeks in June/July we still have 5 spaces on this charity adventure which will take in the Stelvio Pass, Transfagarasan Highway, Chernobyl Plant, Orphanage in Gomel, BMW Bike factory in Berlin.

www.chernobylchallenge.co.uk

My friend and companion on previous outings to Chernobyl and Pripyat has booked yet another trip for this easter, and reports that central government is tightening up on tourism in the zone of alienation. Access fees are going up drastically after the 25th anniversary of the accident in April, and the insides of all buildings in Pripyat will be off-limits soon too.

Sounds to me as though somebody has gotten wind of how much money is to be made, and is about to levy a little 'tax' to help with the new sarcophagus for reactor 4.

My advice would be to get there while you can - don't pass this up!

Access fees are going up drastically after the 25th anniversary of the accident in April, and the insides of all buildings in Pripyat will be off-limits soon too.

I've just booked the reactor tour and the price came in around £75 each for a group of 12, for that we get transport to the site and back from Kiev, lunch (food brought in from off-site) an English speaking guide for the day and a full tour of Prypiat.

I did this tour in 2007 and the costs were very similar, but like you say - things may change?

Hi There.

Been thinking of going over there for a while as I work in the Nuclear Industry. One of our guys has been trying to get a contact over there to take a party over for a guided tour. If you don't mind me asking who were you using as the cotact to organise the trip on that side. Think I prefer to go with the bike to be honest but cotacts are always handy.

Cheers Ali

Checked out web -site and interested but no contact details! Leave some contact details or PM me

I've just booked the reactor tour and the price came in around £75 each for a group of 12, for that we get transport to the site and back from Kiev, lunch (food brought in from off-site) an English speaking guide for the day and a full tour of Prypiat.

Sounds like a bargain! I can't remember exactly what we paid for the tour aspect, but I recall that the whole 4 days including flights from Heathrow and a night in a 'top russian hotel' in Kiev wasn't much short of £700. Well, I say 'tour', but it was just two of us and we had the guide take us wherever we wanted to go for two whole days so that we could spend as long as we wanted getting our photos.

Our initial contact was Dylan at Lupine Travel, but it doesn't matter which agent you book with, you'll ultimately be guests of Sergei who runs the only tour operation that's allowed inside the zone of alienation. Can't remember the name of his company right now ...

My mate is going over again this easter, but taking his own food along. :augie

See http://www.muppix.net/chernobyl for the pics.

Glad to see you now have 10 riders, would have loved to have done this with you but my boss still has not confirmed those dates so I lucked out :tears

Yes sorry Dave, the last week has seen all of the places filled and it's all thanks to this forum I think :beerjug:

Out of the 10 riders, 8 have BMWs and 5 of those are GS's

gonna be a tractor fest!

thanks for all the interest and don't forget to follow us on twitter/facebook
or you could even sponsor us :angel

Tried youe email on the web site but dont have Outlook running on my PC so couldnt volunteer to come or help with sponsorship, good luck with trip if you need a spare rider give me a pm.

If anyone else was interested, but has missed out on this group, you could always link up with our Moscow to Moscow ride. Charity supports National Spinal Injuries Centre at Stoke Mandeville. Itinerary is on-line at www.offonaweeride.com.

We will be staying in Kiev 3rd and 4th July, with the idea of doing a day trip to Chernobyl/Prypiat on 4th.

Sounds like a bargain! I can't remember exactly what we paid for the tour aspect, but I recall that the whole 4 days including flights from Heathrow and a night in a 'top russian hotel' in Kiev wasn't much short of £700. Well, I say 'tour', but it was just two of us and we had the guide take us wherever we wanted to go for two whole days so that we could spend as long as we wanted getting our photos.

Our initial contact was Dylan at Lupine Travel, but it doesn't matter which agent you book with, you'll ultimately be guests of Sergei who runs the only tour operation that's allowed inside the zone of alienation. Can't remember the name of his company right now ...

My mate is going over again this easter, but taking his own food along. :augie

See http://www.muppix.net/chernobyl for the pics.

do you have any details for sergei at all? even if its in russian it doesnt matter.

Ahh, will miss you by a day! We are in Kiev 2/3rd and doing the Prypiat tour on 3rd!

You've got to be kidding?! :tears I'd say we'd catch you up, but we are guests of a Harley Davidson chapter in Moscow, and we said we would ride up to Suzdal with their annual rally on 1st July. We are travelling in the reverse direction to you, but it might be fun to meet up for a drink on 3rd - unless you plan to ride on that evening?

Where are you staying in Kyiv?

We'll be here on 2nd and 3rd, it's pretty central and there's a McDonalds opposite if you fancy meeting up?

Have got a long day on the 2nd though so may be late to the hotel, Sunday evening after our reactor tour may be better?

:beerjug:

hi

is there still room ple im new to computers forgive me, is the ride to raise money for charity

is there still room ple im new to computers forgive me, is the ride to raise money for charity

I think the OP's ride is full, but we're leaving between 11th - 16th June (various UK-based send-off events) for a trip from Moscow, Ayrshire, to Moscow, Russia and back, with money raised going to Stoke Mandeville Hospital. We've lost a couple of our riders due to family issues and ill health and are now likely to be just three (with no support vehicle). We would welcome joiners for all or part of the ride. As discussed above, our return ride takes us via Chernobyl. We are due back in Moscow, Ayrshire, 13th July. If you are interested, there is more detail on our website: www.offonaweeride.com, or PM me.

Back
Top Bottom