scottland to see the northen lights

Raymond B

hi there every one

i got a trip planned for Friday the 19 / Saturday the 20th which leaves from London in the wee hours to catch a ferry to Dublin where i plan to spend the night before riding up to Belfast where another ferry is to be had back to the mainland. iv arranged a small or large depending on the response for a self catered house at the top of Scotland for 3 nights so this will give the best chance of seeing the lights , if it happens that is ? and then a ride back down to London for the 25/26th :D sorry if its a bit slap stick but im open to any changes

thanks for looking :D

Northern lights!

We sometimes get them as far south as here but i've not seen them for a while. When you do though they're always amazing!

Best Northern Lights i've ever seen were in Iceland(november 2008) at a small town on the south coast called Hofn. It was a fantastic display for about half an hour and the best thing was they were over Vatnajokull Icecap.

I really hope you do get to catch a glimpse and i'm thinking you'll have a better chance on the east coast as it's more likely to be clear and a bit colder. It's always been a bit frosty when i've seen them.

Good luck

FP.:thumb

Unfortunately the sun is not at the part of it's 8 or so years cycle where the amount of solar activity is conducive to producing aurorae that are noteable.
But as FP says, get north and east at the moment for the best chance.

You can get email alerts from:
http://www.dcs.lancs.ac.uk/iono/aurorawatch/cgi-bin/subscribe

It's as flat as a fart at the moment though.

Their sensor is up Aiburdeenshire somewhere...
You forget you had the alert until one day after a year or so it goes off!
About 6 years ago we had stunning aurorae for a couple of hours over Tayport/Broughty Ferry but a pity it's as dead as a dodo just now.

We're a mile and a half from Torness Nuclear Power Station and there's always a 'glow' in the sky above that.......!:augie

When it's clear I can see the mountains north of Dundee aswell as the lights further up the coast so we can see a very long way if the weathers good.

Our farm rises from sea level up to about 600 feet and the sky is usually clear over the sea to the north and east.

I'm really looking forward to seeing the Aurora again!

Been here 15yrs and seen the half a dozen times

Mainly August time.

via dublin for a day or so is to see old friends and the guinness factory :)

We're a mile and a half from Torness Nuclear Power Station and there's always a 'glow' in the sky above that.......!:augie

When it's clear I can see the mountains north of Dundee aswell as the lights further up the coast so we can see a very long way if the weathers good.

Our farm rises from sea level up to about 600 feet and the sky is usually clear over the sea to the north and east.

I'm really looking forward to seeing the Aurora again!

Do you do camping at your farm Mr P?

well off tonite hope to catch some of those solar storms the bloke to the tv is on about if i get any good pics il post :)

Back
Top Bottom