La Coupole V2 bunker

Excellent place

A really good museum, well worth a visit. Allow yourself 3 or 4 hours to do it justice if you like reading all the information panels. There's another called the blockhouse not too far away thats worth a visit too, though not as well presented it's very interesting, especially seeing the effects of a tallboy bomb hit on reinforced concrete.
Both are not too far from Calais, worth having in your satnav in case your looking for somewhere to kill a couple of hours before your ferry/tunnel crossing.

Been to them both and they are both well worth a visit. The blockhouse is otherwise known as the Eperlecques bunker but from memory, the road signs to it are 'Le Blockhouse'.

This has been on my list to do's for some time,anyone been here recently...fancy crossing the water for the day soon.
Andy talks sense and yes, it is well worth a visit. :thumb2

There is a campsite on the edge of the village by The Blockhouse. It's in the grounds of a small chateaux. I've stayed there once and it is literally just a couple of minutes ride from the Blockhouse. If you need the co-ordinates, I kept them on Mapsource.

If you have a bit of spare time after the V2 site visits its worth an short detour on the way back to visit the V3 super gun site. The site is approx 10 miles south west of Calais near Guines. (Specific Web sites give more info)
The gun was considered a greater risk than the V1 or V2 and the Allies tried all sorts to blow it up, one of the Kennedy clan was killed while flying a remote control B25 bomber into the site. It construction was eventually slowed down when an Earth quake bomb hit home, unfortunately this caused an underground aquifer tho burst into the lower levels drowning hundreds of slave labourers.
There is not much left to see, once overrun the Canadians were ordered to destroy everything. Its just such a massive construction and an in-site into why Hitler thought the V weapons were his war winners.

If you have a bit of spare time after the V2 site visits its worth an short detour on the way back to visit the V3 super gun site. The site is approx 10 miles south west of Calais near Guines.
Looks interesting. See HERE.

Great looking at going in a week or 2..Could i pretty please have the campsite ords..is there facilities on the grounds...
Much appreciated.
:thumb2

Garmin waypoints...

Attachments

• waypoints.gdb
    752 bytes · Views: 50
Could i pretty please have the campsite ords..is there facilities on the grounds...
The campsite we stayed at is at N50 49 08.1 E2 10 44.1 and is just 2 mins ride from Eperleques and 12 miles from La Cupole.

Its a combined caravan / camp site, so the facilities were good and the setting was pretty. :thumb2

The campsite we stayed at is at N50 49 08.1 E2 10 44.1 and is just 2 mins ride from Eperleques and 12 miles from La Cupole.

Its a combined caravan / camp site, so the facilities were good and the setting was pretty. :thumb2
Cheers Taff, campsite 'Chateau du Gandspette' http://www.chateau-gandspette.com/

Waypoints updated
(note, links included in waypoints)

Attachments

• waypoints.gdb
    903 bytes · Views: 32
I`m going over tomorow,firstly to Ypres for the Menin gate,overnighting in Ypres and then on to La Coupole on the way home.Plus anything else that we have time for.

Thank you for all the info guys...:bow I went last week headed for the tunnel 0400hrs below zero temp and a ground frost in Calais but the sun come out to make it a cracking day.

La coupole V2 bunker and the blockhouse was fantastic....stoped for lunch in Saint Omer and found Etap hotel for 40euro...with secure parking..
Next morning headed to Ypres for breakfast and the menin gate..:beerjug::thumb2

Next trip will be to Holland to the resistance museum liberty park....and a tank museum in germany munster i think..
anyone seen these.

Back
Top Bottom