Molten Pannier Repair

Wegby

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Hi all

An unhappy experience with a Y-piece cat replacement left a 3 x 1 inch hole in the corner of my BMW system pannier (for a 1150GS).

I found the following plastic repair kit on eBay, and am pretty happy with the job it's done:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=220291129608&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT

First photo is of the damage from the exhaust, and the other is after I've sanded the repair down.

Not too sure whether I'll give it a coat of paint, as the colour isn't that too far away from the black of the pannier. Either way, next step is to test its fitment alongside a Carbon Can Company endcan and Y-piece I've recently put on the bike (thanks to gabriel_GS).

Attachments

• Pan01.jpg
    Pan01.jpg
    32.2 KB · Views: 228
  • Pan02.jpg
    Pan02.jpg
    72.6 KB · Views: 219
I keep umming and arring(?) over fitting a Y-piece in place of the cat.
Would run it with standard silencer. But I just can't get away from the fear that this may happen (System panniers, too). Bummer. :(

Nice enough repair, btw.

Thanks, DutchBryn!

My initial plan was to run standard silencer with Y-piece, but I think I was foiled by a poorly-manufacrured item. I since went looking for a Remus kit (I've been told by Brian at BGM - oracle of all things BMW in SE England that these are the best to go for), but gabriel_gs offered me his CCC set for silly money. :D

If it's dry tomorrow, I'll go for a quick 'burn' with the pannier attached, and if it doen't melt, I'll deem it a complete success.

Off the back of my limited knowledge, the Remus Y-piece would seem a fairly reliable alternative to the Cat - at least they'll be jigged up properly.

John A: How I wish I'd read some stuff here beore I put the dodgy Y-piece on! Still, we all learn...:blast

Oh, and if anyne is interested in what a CCC sounds like - this is my first You Tube post:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D0L8C2uMM40

Apologies for the pathetic video quality, but as I paid less than 20 quid for the camera, I can't rag on it too much...

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/SPORT-DIGITAL...ctronics_Video_Camcorders&hash=item4aa8f26c7c

If anyone's interested. It's amusing to see how similar a video can be to a Salvador Dali painting, as a result of the vibrations eminating from a GS...(when it's attached to the bike, that is...)! :D

IIRC the first time I noticed a hole on my single spark 1150 with Remus y-piece 0and OEM end can was after a long motorway run in +20 degrees C temps.

I had the BOS system on an 1150 R and then a GS. THE solution as it was y-piece, end can and chip, so you felt that they'd taken a look and designed the package rather than bits and pieces approach.

Morning Wegby. I've done my due diligence. Read the views on this or that combination of exhaust components. And the only guaranteed solution is to buy a set of Vern's Worldbeaters. But atm I simply don't need panniers that often.

In a nut shell, some get problems, some don't. There is an absence of scientific repeatability in all this which does not instill confidence in the wary (me). I had wondered if there might some unlucky / careless combination of angles during the final fitting of the down pipes, y-piece, silencer that may result in the gas flow heading too close to the pannier. There just don't seem to be definative answers to this.

Perhaps the fitting of full-system is indeed a happier combination in some mechanical sense, though, for me, a bit more noise is fine, but a fully homologated moto GP approved (etc) race system, on a long ride, may prove beyond what ear plugs can protect you from. Have a look-see. Many on here seem tried and then retreated from this set-up.

Motad make a collector-box, which might have been interesting, but they only sell them through one of those uber expensive German Co.s . :(

Anyway, good luck with it all. I'll be interested in how you get on.

B.

Hoorah!!!

Just been out for a blast - gingerly at first, then gave it some and the pannier repair held! :JB

So, the verdict (on this bike at least) is that the Carbon Can Company done good!

Oh, and I'm not bothering to test to see if the repair is waterproof - like you expected it to be waterproof in the first place! :toungincheek

Back
Top Bottom