Fast idle adjustment

robc

Reaction score
Afternoon all,
For a few weeks the fast idle hasn't done it's job on the GS. I have to open the throttle a bit when starting the engine. When it's cold the engine will stall if I let go of the throttle even when the fast idle is "on".

So, on Sunday I decided to adjust it. I adjusted it at the throttle end (above the right cylinder head). All was fine. Fast idle on, engine on, hand off throttle and revs at about 2k. Great
A 20 metre test drive in my street and the bike was popping and banging and loosing power. This with the fast idle on and off.
Adjusting the fast idle back to where it was and the problem goes away.

What's the correct way of adjusting this?

It occurs to me now that I didn't do a throttle reset. Is that my mistake or did I just the whole thing wrong?

Regards

Rob C

I think you've done it all wrong! Looking at your posts I think you have a 1150 and the fast idle adjustment is done at the handlebars - next to the clutch cable adjustment. If that doesn't do enough, you'll have to adjust both the cables from the splitter box to the throttle bodies. This obviously means you'd have to re-synch the cables with a carbtune or similar but it sounds like you've already messed this up :augie

As a 'get you going' fix, just back off the adjustment you did yesterday - see if you can judge where the adjuster was - and then start on the plan above.

hth
Dick

Cheers Dick. I thought it was too simple to be correct.

I did set the adjuster back to the original position and all is well.

You mention throttle bodies; now I think about it this has just been happening since I had them balanced.

I didn't look at the handlebar end because I couldn't be bothered to take off the muffs - it was getting cold and dark, the coffee had run out and the beer was calling.

Regards

Rob C

Back
Top Bottom