Four Countries Tour July 2011

dazchallenge

Reaction score
Dear All

Both Bigdave and I have enjoyed previous open invite trips off this site and as such have now planned a trip of our own that we would like to offer as an open invite trip.

Ten day Trip from Friday 15th July – Sunday 24th July 2011.

The trip will start at Calais and go across northern France, down through the Black Forest, a loop around Switzerland taking in several passes before we will be having a rest day to take in a day’s stage of the ‘tour de France ’. After which we will continue our journey through scenic France including the champagne region.

The total mileage will be around 1800 miles and as we are trying to keep the ridding to around 200 miles per day on predominantly ‘D’ roads allowing maximum opportunity to take in the whole experience, best roads, scenery, villages, passes etc etc, and to ensure it is a holiday.

It is envisaged we will be predominantly camping.

Depart – Friday 15th July 2011 – midday Euro tunnel

15th July Day 1
Calais – Vouziers

16th July Day 2
Vouziers – the spa town of Baden-Baden (Germany)

17th July Day 3
Baden-Baden (Germany) – Meiringen (Switzerland)
Tour of the black forest

18th July Day 4
Meiringen (Switzerland) – Mulegns
3 or 4 of the famous alpine passes

19th July Day 5
Mulegns – Turtmann
4 more alpine passes

20th July Day 6
Turtmann - Briancon
2 more alpine passes, possible Italian lakes detour

21st July Day 7
Rest day ‘Tour de France’
Whole day of watching stage of T.D.F. or whatever you wish to do

22nd July Day 8
Briancon - Chalon Sur seine
Back across boarder into France passing through more mountains and ski resorts

23rd July Day 9
Chalon Sur seine – Hermonville
Heading north through stunning countryside and into the champagne region

Return - Sunday 24th July Day 10 last day
Hermonville – Calais
Easy run back to Calais for midday train.

Anyone genuinely interested please let us know as soon as possible as numbers will be limited to around ten bikes.

Would be interested to receive input from anyone on great campsites, castles, Chateau, or any other places of interest.

I'm interested... just cleared the dates with the boss lol

I tapped in the route on Google Maps >> http://goo.gl/aOqDi

As for France, I only really shoot though the place on the way to Spain, so as for things to do I wouldn't know where to start.

I would be looking forward to the Alps and Switzerland passes TBH

Please feel free to PM me if you want to meet up or have a chat im free most of the time :thumb

Sounds like a good trip - I am leaving about a week later from Dover, 21st July and heading across to Switzerland. Stopping in Wengen on 22nd/23rd and then making way down Route des Grande Alpes arriving in Monaco on the 28th. From there hugging the south coast then up and over the Millau Bridge and finally arriving in Sarlat, Dordogne on the 31st July. A week then relaxing, HOPEFULLY, with my wife and kids who will already be there on holiday and ferry back from Cherbourg on the 8th August. You never know, we may cross paths during the early part of my trip somewhere in the Swiss/French Alps. Have a good one!:Motomartin

Thanks for the p/m's and interest in the trip!.

We now have 3 bikes on the list and 7 places left.

Starting to add more detail and the first draft of the route within the next week.

:thumb

As promised a little more detail on route, which is now available on mapsource for those interested. P/M's sent to those already booked on trip.

15th July Day 1
Calais – A26 – Bethune – N43 – Cambrai – Catillon Sur Sambre – D5 – D977 – Rozoy Sur Serre – D946 – Rethel – Vouziers

16th July Day 2
Vouziers – D982 – N3 – Verdun – Etain – Doncourt les Conflans – Metz – N56 – Sarralbe – Sarre Union – D8 – D919 – N63 – A35 – D4 – Cross Germany border – B500 – Baden Baden

17th July Day 3
Baden-Baden (Germany) – B28 – Freudenstadt – B294 – Hausach - B33 – B500 – Triberg – Hinterzarten – B31 – B500 – Waldshut – 5 – 26 – Ballwil – 4 – Horw – A8 – 4 – Karsersfuhi – Cross Swiss Border - Meiringen

18th July Day 4
Meiringen – Innertkirchen – 11 – Sustenpass – 2 – Andermatt – 19 – Oberalpass – Laax – A13 –Chur - 3 – Landquart – 28 – Klosters – Davos – Susch – 27 – Zemez – Albulapass – Wiesen (and return) – A27 – St Moritz - Silvaplana

19th July Day 5
Silvaplana – 3 – Julierpass – Mulegns – 13 – Splugen pass (and return) – 13- St Bernardino pass - Moesa – Bellinzona – A2 – St Gothardpass – 21 – 2 – 19 – Furkapass – Grimselpass (and return) – 19 – 9 - Turtmann

20th July Day 6
Turtmann – 9 – 203 – N506 – N205 – D902 – D909 – N212 – N90 – N6 – N566 – T4 – A32 – S24 - Briancon

21st July Day 7
Rest day ‘Tour de France’ (awaiting route confirmation)
Watch days stage of T.D.F. or freetime.

22nd July Day 8
Briancon – N91 – Alp due hues (detour) – N91 - N85 – Grenoble – A48 – N75 – Bourg en bresse – N479 – D975 – D933 – D978 – Chalon sur Saone

23rd July Day 9
Chalon Sur Saone – D978 – Autun – D980 – D21 – D102 – D452 – Bar Sur Seine – N71 – troyes - N19 – D373 – Rd951 – N51 – Reims – N44 - Hermonville

24th July Day 10 last day
Hermonville – N44 – A26 – N32 – Noyon – D932 – D937 – N17 – D917 – Arras – N17 – A26 - Calais

I can recommend two places to stay which are good value and biker friendly:

Two Wheel Moorings is just up the road from Vouziers

http://www.bikersbedsfrance.co.uk/

And Pension Williams just south of Baden Baden (Along B500)

http://www.pension-williams.com/

Travelling from Vouziers to the Black Forest is quite an easy run, you will go close by some great WW1 sites up the road from Vouziers, I can highly recommend both the Verdun Forts (Which you can go inside) and the Ossaury where you can see the bones of @ 130,000 soldiers in the basement!

More details on the Verdun region here:

http://www.ukgser.com/forums/showthread.php?t=249110&highlight=black+forest+tour

Grab a copy of "Motorcycle Journeys through the Alps and Beyond" and have a look at the regions you are passing through, it tends to list a few places of interest on most routes.

Four countries in more than a week? We did six countries in a day trip a few years ago (England, France, Belgium Luxembourg,Germany and Netherlands). :D

Looks like a great trip you have planned. Enjoy!

I've been to most of those places over a few yers, but haven't camped so can't help on that score I'm afraid.

hi

can i come guys what ferry, im in lancashire if your riding down

Is this trip still on, I emailed about 2 weeks ago to ask if you had booked the ferry tickets or if you were going to leave it till closer to the leave date... no reply as of yet :p

Just wanted a heads up

Cheers

Ped

Yes definitely still on

Sorry guy's Andy is on holiday at the mo.

As soon as he is back (next week) we are going to sort the Euro Chunnel times and bookings.

We will be in touch soon :thumb

Hello All,
I have pm'd this message to all the people I was aware of for the trip. However, I think some guy's had pm'd Andy directly so I thought it best to post the message again here.

The four countries trip is still on and today I have booked my Euro Tunnel tickets for Friday the 15th July at 12.50 departure and return on the Sunday 24th July at 14.20 departure.
Andy (dazchallenge) has been unwell recently, hence is absence from the forum and mobile, and I think he will not be coming on the trip.
Please could you pm me back to confirm whether or not you will be joining me on what should be a very enjoyable trip with the Tour de France thrown in for free!
Cheers, Dave (bigdave) :thumb

Roll Call

Hi all this is the up to date roll call for the trip:

Confirmed
Bigdave

No News
dazchellenge
xGSTQ

Cancelled
Homer
Bill Mac

Looks like its just me then! :beerjug:

New Schedule

Here is the new schedule to suit the guy's that are going ;

I've added more Tour de France, including, what is going to be the spectacular Alpe-d'Huez stage.

Places are still available.............

Friday 15th July Day 1
Calais – Vouziers

Saturday 16th July Day 2
Vouziers – the spa town of Baden-Baden (Germany)

Sunday 17th July Day 3
Baden-Baden (Germany) – Meiringen (Switzerland)
Tour of the black forest

Monday 18th July Day 4
Meiringen (Switzerland) – Mulegns
3 or 4 of the famous alpine passes

Tuesday 19th July Day 5
Mulegns – Turtmann
4 more alpine passes

Wednesday 20th July Day 6
Turtmann – Pinerolo Italy
2 more alpine passes, then watch the Tour de France final days climb into pinerolo

Thursday 21st July Day 7
Pinerolo – Galibier – Alpe-d’Huez camp site
Ride over to see the TDF climb the famous Galibier then head over to Alpe-d’Huez campsite ready for the big one tomorrow!

Friday 22nd July Day 8
Day off Bike at Alpe d’Huez
Because of the chaos I intend to leave the bike at the campsite and walk to a vantage point on Alpe-d’Huez, then spend a second night there.

Saturday 23rd July Day 9
Alpe-d’Huez – North of Reims
Taking quicker roads, head to north of Reims for a hotel stop

Sunday 24th July Day 10 last day
Reims – Calais
Easy run back to Calais for midday train.

Back
Top Bottom