GS1200 Engine Recall

Barrie

Reaction score
I just heard from a reliable source that there is a recall on all new 1200 GS engines and that BMW are not saying what the problem is, just changine the whole motor, any one else heard about that? Serious job of about 10 hours I understand!
Has any one had engine problems?
Barrie.

Nothing heard here or over the pond.......

Maybe it's for the rear drive problems rather than engines???

Nope - not heard anything about this either, and I spent time in Vines and SPC today. Not a dicky bird.

The whole engine???

That's got to be more than a little bit costly if it's correct!

Was at Vines today and I heard nothing from Service either. (Just done the 600 mile service)
On another point, I might be having to get new front brake pads under warranty as mine squeel like a pig. :(

anyone remember early CX500's ??

cam chain tensioner prob's caused engine changes at first - later on a mod was introduced.

When i was a mech. we did so many of them we could get a cx engine out of the bike and on the bench in 12 mins !

- using air tools...........

1200 engine recall

Well lets hope this is a poor rumour, I hope so.
I am awaiting some more confirmation which I will keep posted if there is any!
We can discuss it tonight at Doggetts for those who live nearby,
regards.
Barrie.

Surely gotta be rear drive and not engine?

Any more news Barrie?

Just spoke with my dealer and they say they are not aware of any recall of the engine or final drive.

They say only problems they've had and rectified were the fuel guage and fuelling re-map.

Any more news anyone?

Captain Scarlet said:
Just spoke with my dealer and they say they are not aware of any recall of the engine or final drive.

They say only problems they've had and rectified were the fuel guage and fuelling re-map.

Any more news anyone?

Same here in NZ

1200 engine recall

The source was a top bike wrench who has been in the business for years and to my knowledge has worked for 2 BMW dealers as workshop foreman,
I am trying to contact him again (by email) to see where he got his info from,
will have to wait till he gets in this evening to elaborate, as I said before I will keep it posted if I have more to add.
Barrie.

in about one week time 3 owners reported oil leaking from the engine. according to them, it is oil from the engine and not from the gearbox or the drive shaft.

could it have to do with this?

grtz

10 hours to change an engine? So that includes breakfast, lunch, dinner...

Someone's pulling a flanker methinks.

Dahoum said:
who and where?
in the netherlands.

at one bike the oil comes from the top of the engine (according to the owner)

an other is leaking oil at the right side

so far cause not found

mine's fixed now, the transmission breather near the airbox has a "condom" on it. it was faulty and replaced or repaired. my bike was in the shop for more than a day while they tried to find the problem.

Panzers mate had a new 'short' engine in his wifes bike because of an oil leak. I met them at Alston Cafe shortly after the first deliveries. If I remember right...the dealer stated the factory had nipped an oil seal whilst putting the engine together.

Still waiting for all the little niggles to get ironed out!

Back
Top Bottom