Best Practice?

Timolgra

reformed
UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Here's a few pics from where I've been practicing for a couple of hours or so this afternoon.
1235092524_FwGDQ-XL.jpg

1235094409_uWNkK-XL.jpg

By the end I was knackered and had a couple tumbles, I'm feeling they were caused through a lack of focus which you have at an event.
So what do any of you do for practice, I'm begining to thing I should get some markers and set sections to get that focus?
1235096158_bXWNi-XL.jpg

1235099580_5kRkT-XL.jpg

I was having success with this stream but a tight rh turn out of sight over the stream and rocks brought me back over the logs, I dabbed that turn every time, yet 2 months ago I cleaned the turn in a trial:confused:
1235101138_69cPd-XL.jpg

1235103030_UoYuw-XL.jpg

Part of my hinderance was Jake, my 3 legged hound, who loves to run in front of me:blast...by the end of 2 hours he was even more knackered than I was:D
1235097952_DBk3S-XL.jpg

I think with everything you do, the more tired you get, the more uncontrolled and erratic you become.

Love the pic of Jake, seems very contented though.

When Ferret and I were out the other week in Shatterford the experience changed completely for me when we actually marked out a section with some flags. So much so that I've gone and got my own flags from
http://www.trialsuk.co.uk/

I agree with setting out a test section, we used to do this and you could only claim to have mastered it if you could clean it 3 times in a row then we would either make it harder or set out a new section

When Ferret and I were out the other week in Shatterford the experience changed completely for me when we actually marked out a section with some flags. So much so that I've gone and got my own flags from
http://www.trialsuk.co.uk/

I agree with setting out a test section, we used to do this and you could only claim to have mastered it if you could clean it 3 times in a row then we would either make it harder or set out a new section

Yes, I'll either make or get some markers:thumb
It seemed the problem was that having a few options when it's going critical causes a lack of focus...ie. it goes completely tits up:D

I know less than feck all about trials riding, but I know a cool mutt when I see one:D

I know less than feck all about trials riding, but I know a cool mutt when I see one:D

All the locals know him, little kids knock on the door and ask if jake's coming out to play....they all want him to have his own Facebook page ffs:rolleyes:

Ha, not so cool know are ya:green gri

Attachments

• SDC10776 (Small).JPG
    SDC10776 (Small).JPG
    37.5 KB · Views: 146
Practice makes perfect

Tim -- With the notable exception of Jake, were you practising on your own?

We all know that we need to practice if we want to improve as much as we can, and we all know that we should ideally always ride with others, as a silly mistake/slip/fall can result in a turned ankle, or worse.

That being so, when practising on our own we ride with the knowledge that if anything were to go belly up, we might be at the very least embarrassed, if not actually hurt and waiting for someone to discover us.

That knowledge hovers about in the back of our minds affecting how we ride, often resulting in frustration and increased tension - hence being unable to clean a section that has caused us no problems previously.

Then, as Grizz says, when you add in tiredness you find yourself looking for somewhere to fall!

All the best, Jim.

ps. - your practice ground looks remarkably similar to Swaine Woods in Leeds.

Tim -- With the notable exception of Jake, were you practising on your own?

We all know that we need to practice if we want to improve as much as we can, and we all know that we should ideally always ride with others, as a silly mistake/slip/fall can result in a turned ankle, or worse.

That being so, when practising on our own we ride with the knowledge that if anything were to go belly up, we might be at the very least embarrassed, if not actually hurt and waiting for someone to discover us.

That knowledge hovers about in the back of our minds affecting how we ride, often resulting in frustration and increased tension - hence being unable to clean a section that has caused us no problems previously.

Then, as Grizz says, when you add in tiredness you find yourself looking for somewhere to fall!

All the best, Jim.

ps. - your practice ground looks remarkably similar to Swaine Woods in Leeds.

Hi Jim
That also crossed my mind as I was alone, the landowner did ask if I was and I promised to behave as it's pretty remote.
I made sure I wore boots, gloves, helmet even armoured trousers:eek: and checked my phone coverage but realise now I was holding back, the tumbles occured before I became tired though, possibly a result of both riding half heartedly and the lack of focus.

Next time I'll get a few of us together and set some courses.
Good advise, cheers:thumb

At least you had the sense not to call your dawg Tripod, as someone who lives near me did in similar circumstances. :D

At least you had the sense not to call your dawg Tripod, as someone who lives near me did in similar circumstances. :D

Ha ha, I did consider it and Trident, but came very close to calling him Yard:D

Back
Top Bottom