Reflctive vests for Spain

sixfootandstocky

Forgive me if you all know this, however, I did not/still do not until this week.

Spanish police were shown on the local television news this week checking lots and lots of vehicles as they entered the land of paella and sherry to ensure that drivers had a reflective ( yellow I think) vest, for use in a breakdown situation.

I dont know if this is a legal requirement for M/Cs and four wheelers, but be aware - johnny foreigner normally wants "cash" if you break his rules!

Can anybody clarify the requirements?

Bonjour.

Don't know about the actual requirements but it's now the same for Italy.

Anyway, if you ride a BMW you should always wear a reflective jacket :D

Cheers

Dick

The following is available from our motoring organisations web sites, but it's not exactly easy to find and obvious
:rolleyes:

The AA gives the followiing advice:

Reflective Jackets
In Italy, motorists whose vehicles break down at night or in poor visibility must wear a reflective jacket when they get out of the car. They face an on-the-spot fine of up to 138 euros for failing to wear the jacket. Spain will enforce a similar law from 24 July, fining up to 91 euros.

Under the new law, according to Italian road authorities, drivers in Italy must carry a yellow or orange reflective jacket that conforms to European Standard EN471. This must be worn if the car breaks down and the driver gets out, on the road, to check under the bonnet, change a wheel, set up warning triangles or walk down the road to phone for help.

The authorities require other vehicle occupants to wear a reflective jacket if they are standing on the road, perhaps to help change a wheel or hold a light, but they will not fall foul of the regulations if they remain off the road.

The AA recommends that when driving through Italy and Spain, you carry at least two reflective jackets in the passenger compartment. If your vehicle breaks down on a fast and busy road, pull over as far to the inside as possible and switch on the hazard lights. Occupants should get out of the vehicle and stand well clear of the road, preferably several metres away. If there is nowhere safe to stand, occupants may be safer staying in the car until help arrives.

Reflective jackets are available from the AA's new shop in Dover.

The RAC state:

All motorists whose vehicle is immobilised on the carriageway outside built up areas at night or in poor visibility must wear a reflectorised jacket or waistcoat. The jacket or waistcoat used by foreign motorists does not need to conform with Italian standards. Police will not check if the garment is on board all cars but a motorist seen walking on the carriageway without one could be penalised.

Compulsory products
A warning triangle
Headlamp converters
Reflectorised jacket or waistcoat

So, niether explicitly mention bikes but it looks like it may be necessary (and safer) to carry them.

Iain

Met an Italian GS rider in France last week. We talked about the Reflective Vest law, he reckons it only applies to cars at the moment but that the Gov't are looking in making it compulsory for bikes also.

As far as I have been informed it's only for cars ... you can either have the fetching orange or yellow versions ...

They can be had for about 4 GBP , even here in Swizzy !!! A tenner from garages .....

Back
Top Bottom