Białowieża Forest

Johnnymac

Reaction score
Hi, have been fascinated by this place since I first heard about it. Not sure what you can do there as a tourist, but anyone been, and any thoughts. It'd be 2012 if I went...

Hi Johnny,

I've been there in 2006 and absolutely understand your fascination. The Bialowieza Forest is huge and home to a wide range of animals -

Wisent
105109347_6jSLi-M.jpg

Wolves
114295175_gfdjU-M.jpg

Moose
105107818_CMwQt-M.jpg

Wild boar
105108252_UPUqW-L.jpg

Deer
105107312_PgAgu-M.jpg

... and Aurochs
105107653_VJ2oA-M.jpg

You can watch them either in enclosures or, if you're lucky, in the wild.
105106466_xvJqC-M.jpg

And you can walk for days and days through the primeval forest.
105110547_QMHys-M.jpg

It's a magical place...
105109546_hTPMB-M.jpg

I think you can also cross into the Belarusian part of the park - the border might be open to hikers and cyclists only though.
105111208_AvD5A-M.jpg

Bialowieza and the National Park are very popular with the rich and beautiful, especially during hunting season. Although the area is one of the least populated in Poland, around 200,000 tourists visit every year. On the plus side, you can choose from a good range of hotels and restaurants.

We stayed at the Dwor Soplicowo in Bialowieza itself and paid about PLN 100 for a single room with en-suite and breakfast; but I see on their website that the prices have gone up a bit since to PLN 210 (£46).
105112002_AuGxB-M.jpg

If you need more current information, pm Marcin_gda2 on Advrider - his mum lives on the outskirts of the national park and makes wonderful honey. Say that Ela/Pumpy sends you... :)

Have a fantastic trip! :thumb2

P.S. The rest of Poland is also well worth a visit - have a look at our ride report from post #88 (my fellow travellers' photos seem to have disappeared over the years, and I also apologise for the banter in between the relevant posts... ;))

When I made tour arround Poland this Dwór (hotel ) was burn out, so you need another accomodation
Regards Marek

Hi guys!

Białowieża is very nice place for hiking. If you are in eastern Poland i recommend to go there. (But i know places where you can see these animals living in freedom, also bears:) )

If you want to make a ride on your Gs's north-east part of Poland is amazing.
You can start your trip near Suwałki, places like Supraśl, Sejny. Take GPS and keep gravel and forests roads and go south.
If you have lot of time you can finish your trip in Bieszczady - beautifull mountains in south-east of Poland near Ukraine border.

We call it Exotic Poland - because this area and people make you feel that time stopped there 100 years ago.

If anyone of you will be in Poland - just call me - i can show you lot of amazing places.

Here are some pictues from Bieszczady:
https://picasaweb.google.com/sitek.cnc/Bieszczady#
https://picasaweb.google.com/sitek.cnc/BieszczadyUZrodeSanu#
https://picasaweb.google.com/sitek.cnc/WKaskuNaTarniceGSemPrzezStokowkiCzyliBIESZCZADYJESIENIA#

Back
Top Bottom