MPG v Riding style...

Wrigsby1

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
I swapped down for an XT660R a few weeks back and its good fun and easy to look after. One thing is... I was looking forward to the 60 to 70+mpg that reasonable riding might give me according to all the feedback. After a few back to back checks I am still in the low middle 50's though. I have fully serviced the bike and checked the set up via the on board electronic log and nothing is untoward.

Only mod is the tickover setting set to 16/17 as per the advice for smoother pick up.

I am wondering if the 60-70+ is achieved at low to no fun riding and i haven't been ringing its neck like a twat (even though it's tempting:D)... AND it is/has been pretty windy up here of late and there is not much riding at town speeds:augie Usually cruising at 60-70 mph so nothing stupid there.

Any thoughts...:confused:

PS Now temped with the popular Tenere. I will wait for another higher miler/scruffer...:D

Oh no, everyone must have sold their XT660R/X/Z's and moved on.... No posts on this section since early March apart from this..... I can hear the echo:D

I think the mid 50's mpg is about right unless you are riding super careful/no fun.
Mine is the same- never had better than 60mpg.

I also find that I am having to work the gears a lot more than a larger bike -
3rd 4th 5th rather than just sitting in top and rolling on and off the throttle.
It reminds me a little of the old 125 suzuki I had when I was 17.
I like the xt and its lots of fun offroad.

4k miles of mixed commuting on a Tenere, rural Kent into London, no motorways. Average mpg = 62. Doesn't seem to make much difference whether I'm pootling or making progress. Worst I've had is 56 and best was over 70. I've got an iphone app to keep track which I've used every fill up since the bike was new, so these are accurate figures.

Thanks for the replies...

Just been away on a shortish trip of approx 400 miles and on the way back had low 60's (heavy rain, steady riding:augie). In town it was a bit of a bitch which they can be but I found out through Google about the TPS replacement (on recall?) for the early bikes. I am going to hassle YamUK for more info and hopefully a replacement as I have one of the old ones.

Good "peerie" bike and easy to live with, loads up well. It's actually more comfy than I expected and more so than many Beemers I have had...:D Sort of the everymans plodder do anything type o bike...:D

Back
Top Bottom