Cant get final drive to pull off

bmbob2

Reaction score
Following the haynes manual i have started to strip swing arm for bearing replcements, but have got as far as removing torque arm and the two large studs on the parralever but the final drive housing will not pull off like the manual says it will. Am i missing something out or is there a technique to this any suggestions much appreciated

Before you go Hauling and pulling any more Strap the centre stand forward to the wheel so it can;t collapse!

Sounds like your driveshaft slide isn't sliding anymore and is stuck

More hands needed and a gently prise backwards thru the paralever holes BUT be careful not to damage the threads

Aye i did look at trying prizing it off, but damaging the threads did come into my thoughts. Hence i came on here looking for alternative methods, sound cheers for that i will persist with it and try and release it

Had the same trouble couple of weeks ago, its likely your driveshaft center splines are seized, see here;
http://www.ukgser.com/forums/showthread.php?p=2675381#post2675381

You'll get the final drive off and find it has come off with the F/D end U/J still attached to the shaft, its worth working on the shaft to release the seized splines and get things sliding again, the shaft needs a bit of movement in the splines or it rides over the sping clips at each end.

Use a block of wood and lump hammer, place the wood against the big lug that holds the torque arm, hold the drive housing and clout the wood....difficult with only 2 hands I know.

The two parts of the shaft are seized together.

On a couple I've used a 20 ton press and some serious heat and they still wouldn't part.

Back
Top Bottom