PDA

View Full Version : Fat squaddy entered in Great North Run to raise money for Multiple Sclerosis Society.

AdamA
11-04-11, 19:45
Yes, that's me...

At the age of 38, having not run for 8 years through knee injuries, and dropped from 17.5 stone to 14 stone I decided to start running again from scratch last September. It's been a struggle as I'm still carrying injuries, but with perseverance I am getting there.
Now down to just under 13.5 stone I have set myself a goal of running the GNR this September and am asking YOU to sponsor me to get fit enough to do so.

PLEASE give generously at the following link.

Multiple Sclerosis Society (http://beatms.mssociety.org.uk/netcommunity/AdamAbelRun)

For info on the GNR, click the pic:
http://www.greatrun.org/App_Files/Gr_Files/Bupa-Great-North-Run-2010-Route-Map.jpg (http://www.greatrun.org/events/event.aspx?id=1)

AdamA
12-04-11, 18:10
55 views and not even so much as some encouragement.

Thanks guys....

AberdeenAngus
12-04-11, 18:13
Have a pat on the back from me Adam.
I think yer feckin nuts, but respect, all the same.

Mr K
12-04-11, 18:20
I'll pay a tenner to watch that.

:beerjug:

Deleted User O
12-04-11, 18:21

Thanks guys....

:thumb2

AdamA
12-04-11, 19:04
I think yer feckin nuts...
Undeniably. :D

I'll pay a tenner to watch that.

Cheers fella. I'd stick my helmet cam on for it but it would be a tad slow and boring, and the soundtrack would get me arrested if you play it over the phone....

:thumb2
Cheers chap. ;)

Pukmeister
12-04-11, 19:20
I think I may be gaining as much weight as you are losing Adam (also due to bad knees). What's your weight loss secret ??

That MS is a cruel bitch of an illness.

Donation made, go run your arse off.

AdamA
12-04-11, 19:54
I think I may be gaining as much weight as you are losing Adam (also due to bad knees). What's your weight loss secret ??

That MS is a cruel bitch of an illness.

Donation made, go run your arse off.

Cheers Adam. Appreciated.:)

No secret mate.
You just need to watch what you eat.
Firstly eat as healthily as you can bare, but most importantly no matter what you eat, good or bad, monitor your intake to not eat too much of it.
Obviously doing some phys is a good idea too.
Easiest for me is http://www.weightwatchers.co.uk/index.aspx, which has a great iPhone app (http://www.weightwatchers.co.uk/templates/Marketing/Marketing_Utool_1col.aspx?pageid=1213732), which is ideal for keeping tabs wherever you are.

It really IS as simple as eat less energy than you expend. If you aren't very active eat less....

thauma
13-04-11, 12:44
Good Luck:clap:clap:clap, not that you'll need it. It is a superb run with lots of motivation and cheering from the roadside fans. IMHO much better than the London Marathon. Definitely something everyone should try once - the comaraderie is fantastic

Take it easy, pace yourself, don't get carried away and try for a fast start, remember the tortoise and the hare! Watch out for the last bit IIRC, it's a steep short downhill, left turn and a seemingly never ending treadmill of a run to the finish, and for some reason the wind is always in your face slowing you down as you run along the coast.

AdamA
13-04-11, 12:57
Thanks thauma. :thumb2

IanPorter
13-04-11, 13:45
good luck mate,

I did the Silverstone Half last month and started running from scratch last October so know what determination it takes

do you have a target time yet?

AdamA
13-04-11, 20:40
No, not got a target yet.
I did an easy 10 mile XC run in 1:33 a couple of weeks ago, so under 1:45 is more than possible but I think there's plenty of room for improvement between now and then as I wasn't pushing it at all, and I am still losing weight...

My runs are currently 6m easy @ 08:20min/mi monday and friday, 4 miles threshold @7:50 min/mi Wed and 8 miles slow @9:20 min/mi on the weekend, so 24 miles a week.
I'm basically following a modified version of this training programme:
http://www.runningforfitness.org/book/chapter-11-races/racing-a-half-marathon/hm-training-programme-intermediate

I don't want to over do things pace wise tho, as the ligament damage I have means that when my legs are really tired my knees collapse inwards, so I need to run with some energy in reserve to stop that happening IYSWIM?

AdamA
14-04-11, 18:38
Thanks again everyone, as it is now up to 355 sponsorship, so I have upped my initial 300 goal to 500.

Please keep it coming. Whatever you can spare is really appreciated....

IanPorter
15-04-11, 11:40
No, not got a target yet.
I did an easy 10 mile XC run in 1:33 a couple of weeks ago, so under 1:45 is more than possible

that's a bloody good time........

I was more than happy with my 2:17

must get my arse into gear and enter another race

AdamA
15-04-11, 15:05
that's a bloody good time........

I was more than happy with my 2:17

must get my arse into gear and enter another race

Well, I haven't done it yet.:D
Despite not running and putting on plenty of weight over the last decade I've kept active and an elliptical trainer in the gym to remain fairly CV fit. So its mainly leg strength and endurance I have lost but it's slowly coming back....

mr badger
16-04-11, 18:15
few quid from us in the pot :thumb2

AdamA
16-04-11, 19:27
few quid from us in the pot :thumb2

Thanks meester. Appreciated. :thumb2

AdamA
28-04-11, 14:35
Its pay day!! :D

If you can spare a few quid, please do.

Thanks. :)

Bobster
30-04-11, 20:30
I'll re invest some of you sargent seat money into sponsoring you. If you let me have your email address I will send something via Paypal Gift.

regards

Bob Barnett

AdamA
01-05-11, 16:42
Thanks Bob. :thumb2
PM on the way.

AdamA
26-08-11, 14:54
Anyone else feeling generous?

This is just three weeks away now, and after a few weeks off due to injury I am hopefully back on course with the training...

It would be nice to see a bit of support from the forum for a damn good cause.

mark2jag
26-08-11, 17:50

Thanks guys....Good luck with the run Adam. from a fat 15 stone STAB, who is genuinely trying to get fitter preferably really soon!!!!

Mungrel
26-08-11, 18:18
Tenner donated. Now get on with it and get some good done :thumb2:thumb2:thumb2

AdamA
26-08-11, 18:28
Good luck with the run Adam. from a fat 15 stone STAB, who is genuinely trying to get fitter preferably really soon!!!!
Cheers.:thumb2
Take a read of my blog on TRC and see if it gives you some inspiration:
http://www.therevcounter.com/blogs/adam/875-running-scared.html

Tenner donated. Now get on with it and get some good done :thumb2:thumb2:thumb2
Thanks fella. Appreciated. :thumb2

phooey
28-08-11, 08:54
Just remember...its the Great North Run - not the Great North 'Leisurely Stroll' mate !

AdamA
28-08-11, 10:11
Just remember...its the Great North Run - not the Great North 'Leisurely Stroll' mate !

You are welcome to come jog alongside me for encouragement Chris, if you can spare 1 3/4 hours. ;)
My last full 13 mile race pace training run:
http://runkeeper.com/user/Abelrider/activity/36285221

AdamA
04-09-11, 15:54
Less than a fortnight to go, and still 160 of sponsorship to find to reach the 1000 target. :(
PLEASE sponsor me to run 13 miles of the Great North Run if you haven't already.

Bob Jeffries
04-09-11, 16:57
A little something added to your total, good luck - but I can't stop thinking that it would be so much easier on the GS :rob

AdamA
04-09-11, 17:52
Thanks Bob, and Harry!:thumb2

AdamA
04-09-11, 19:45
Just hit the 1000 target. :D

Thanks everyone that has donated.:thumb2

Those that haven't you aren't off the hook. There's 2 weeks yet to get it done. :thumb

geordie156
06-09-11, 11:31
Adam, Just read your post, send me your email address and I'll send you a tenner donation by paypal gift.

Regards and good luck

Geordie (ex monkey)

AdamA
13-09-11, 20:06
Adam, Just read your post, send me your email address and I'll send you a tenner donation by paypal gift.

Regards and good luck

Geordie (ex monkey)
Sorry Geordie, I didn't get a notification of this so only just seen it. I will send you a PM now, thanks. )

Thanks to all who have generously donated to a great cause.

Still 5 days for those who haven't. :thumb

AdamA
18-09-11, 15:28
Officially completed the Bupa Great North Run 2011 in a time of 01:43:24, if anyone is interested.

Thanks for the sponsorship, which currently stands around 1350.

Mr K
18-09-11, 15:32
I think I seen ya.... on the telly..no really.

Top job mate.