Best Byways

DollyRocket

Reaction score
I would like to compile a list of the best byways in the UK (which are still open for vehicular traffic). There are a number in Hampshire and I think I have ridden them all, but there aren't that many that stand out particularly.

Some are mildly technical, some are vaguely picturesque and some have strands of history associated. I have done the rallies in Wales, but they weren't all byways but would like to find the good trails that it is worth putting the bike on a trailer for a day out and an explore.

I understand that it may not be right to post all the details (including grid refs) on the board as some of the best lanes may get swarms of people down there - but if you could point into the right direction and I will dig out my OS maps :D

Already a member, and have been for about 5 years or so. I was hoping to gain a few pointers from people who may have nice lanes on their doorstep. I especially like the bleak lanes up steep slopes with a good look out at the top, especially if there is a river / lake alongside. I rate the view as a true high point on a good byway:)

Whilst I enjoy riding H&H and Enduro, I also enjoy pottering along a few quiet byways and occasionally stopping for a few minutes rather than the continual pushing along that you get with some group ride outs. (GS rideouts aren't normally that fast anyway as there usually is quite a mixed bag of skill).

Understood : Hence ...

I understand that it may not be right to post all the details (including grid refs) on the board as some of the best lanes may get swarms of people down there - but if you could point into the right direction and I will dig out my OS maps :D

I was hoping to get some information either by PM or to point to a particular area or region and I will buy the OS map and plan a route. I will post a similar question on the TRF members section too.

Understood : Hence ...

I was hoping to get some information either by PM or to point to a particular area or region and I will buy the OS map and plan a route. I will post a similar question on the TRF members section too.

It may worth your while going on TRF rides from other regions:)

I will never publish exact details of legal lanes on the internet

I'll take pics on the lane, but never of the start and finish

It like 'the knowledge', comes from years of dirt rides from well respected ride leaders and friends

I'll happily lead a ride, but no track logs etc

It's so easy for the inexperienced to get the route wrong - the wrong gateway, the wrong side of a stone, which hollybush etc - a lot of it is using your eyes to see the ancient roadway - most are 'sunken' into fields and tracks and not that easy to spot, unless you know the area

Just my take:D

Have to say I'm with JB on this one. I was press officer for the TRF many moons ago, and the shizzle riding a motorbike along a dirt track attracts is far in excess of invading a small country.

For heavens sake, don't make this info public. The Land Rover crowd & yuppie 4x4 scene did this in the early 90's which resulted in dozens running night rides and winching trees up getting unstuck, etc.

We have lost so many beautiful & simple lanes through over use, we will never recover them. Sad, but true.

It was the constant confrontations, be it on site, verbal or by letter that really wore me down & I moved on to enjoying the riding thing with the MCC.

Don't be the one that causes more loss of lanes through putting things on here, please.

I was out in Wales yesterday (Heartbreak Hill has Dave Emsley heartbroken! :D) and we did about 85 miles.

Trails like this ....

IMG_0092.jpg

... run so close to houses that they are actually in the front garden!

There are many threats to our sport, but I believe that loud pipes cause a lot of resentment from non-riders. I can't see what else they achieve.

Greg

I was out in Wales yesterday (Heartbreak Hill has Dave Emsley heartbroken! :D) ...

A YouTube has just arrived ....

<iframe width="560" height="349" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/aJ8xJ0koyu4" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

:D

Greg, that photo depicts a rider with any human facial features completely hidden. To a bystander, just imagine how threatening that is. Where is the eye contact, the smile, the simple acknowledgement that the rider is NOT a threat to humanity or peace?

I know all about safety, and waterproofing, but that photo shows someone kitted up for full competition, not someone who wants to bimble about on a green lane.

Add loud exhausts, smoke, riders shouting to each other & a bid of bantering, and I wouldn't want it near to me.

I'm afaid it all adds up, whether we do it intentionally or not. THAT'S the issue on green lanes.

IMG_0092.jpg

Greg, that photo depicts a rider with any human facial features completely hidden. To a bystander, just imagine how threatening that is. Where is the eye contact, the smile, the simple acknowledgement that the rider is NOT a threat to humanity or peace?

The photograph was taken a couple of years ago - nobody was in the house at the time - I know that because I knocked on the front door, without my helmet, to check that the byway actually went through their front garden.

Yesterday I waved at the householder as I rode past .... and got a cheery wave back.

But the point you make is entirely valid - it is important to interact with, and make space for, other byway users whether they be mountain-bikers, horse-riders or, ...hem ...., ramblers.

Greg

I will never publish exact details of legal lanes on the internet

I'll take pics on the lane, but never of the start and finish

It like 'the knowledge', comes from years of dirt rides from well respected ride leaders and friends

I'll happily lead a ride, but no track logs etc

It's so easy for the inexperienced to get the route wrong - the wrong gateway, the wrong side of a stone, which hollybush etc - a lot of it is using your eyes to see the ancient roadway - most are 'sunken' into fields and tracks and not that easy to spot, unless you know the area

Just my take:D

JB

Surely the point of publishing the routes is so that the 'Inexperienced' (Like me to green lanes) don't get the wrong route, the wrong gateway etc etc?

Unfortunately some people, me included don't have the time to spend exploring (Doing the knowledge) due to work and young family commitments, not laziness, but would love to be able to enjoy (Sensibly) some local routes that I might not ever find on my own.

It would be good to see some sharing of knowledge amongst like minded people.

Josh

JB

Surely the point of publishing the routes is so that the 'Inexperienced' (Like me to green lanes) don't get the wrong route, the wrong gateway etc etc?

Unfortunately some people, me included don't have the time to spend exploring (Doing the knowledge) due to work and young family commitments, not laziness, but would love to be able to enjoy (Sensibly) some local routes that I might not ever find on my own.

Josh

and this is were joining a group like the TRF will help you achieve, this while also giving something to help the fight to keep what lanes are left open - :thumb

and this is were joining a group like the TRF will help you achieve, this while also giving something to help the fight to keep what lanes are left open - :thumb

Pdiddy

I have no problems making a donation to TRF to help fight keeping the lanes open, but that's not going to help me and others that don't have the time as said previously to go on days out at the moment.

I grab a couple of hours when possible, but am limited to what I've found in the O/S, which isn't very much, work and kids permitting.

So unless upon joining the TRF I get access to online maps etc all I'm actually doing is donating money?

Josh

There are loads of lanes in Hertfordshire - few of which would rate as 'Best Byways'. Keep looking on here as there are often people who oprganise ad hoc trail rides.

Greg

There are loads of lanes in Hertfordshire - few of which would rate as 'Best Byways'. Keep looking on here as there are often people who oprganise ad hoc trail rides.

Greg

Hi Greg,

I've found quite a few on the O/S round Herts (I'm in Welwyn Garden City), but like you say they have not been great for various reasons, mainly length.

I'll keep my eyes open on here for ad hocs as you say.

Thanks

Josh

JB

Josh

Join your local TRF.....................they will show you where to ride, when you join them on a published run and in time they may share their intimate map knowledge

If you have little time, join them for a ride for a few hours and then go home at lunch, your group will have runs twice a monh or more

20 years ago - That's what I did, I went on runs twice a month all over Yorkshire/Wales/Lakes, great fun they were.....................BUT it took me a year of dedication to have a sniff of a look on an OS map of where I'd been and no GPS in 1990:blast

Call it an apprenticeship....................that's the way I did it.........you won't know the right way to go unless you've ridden it a few times, looking online or on an OS map will not be the same, once you're on the land (hard to explain)

Legal off road routes are closely guarded, because they are easily lost by the actions of w@nkers

Back
Top Bottom