Richard Holmes - RIP

Just heard it on the wireless.

I first came to his stuff through the excellent "War Walks" TV series and have since bought most of his books.

Not only will he be missed for his expertise but his presentation style was so natural and his enthusiasm for the ordinary soldier was refreshing.

That's a real shame, I really enjoyed his historical documentaries and his presentation style. He did seem to have a great enthusiasm and knew what he was taking about.

I'm sure he'll be greatly missed.

FP.

I had the pleasure of meeting Richard at one of his talks/book signings. This was an evening signing (after the bookshop had closed). Richard had arrived early and was quietly waiting outside with the rest of us. I took the opportunity to go over and speak with him. He was absolutely charming. Friendly, modest and self effacing. He gave a great lecture which was about his book "The World at War".

I've several of his books, a couple of which are signed by Richard and these will be greatly treasured.

I now regret that I never booked myself onto one of the war tours when I had the chance on which he was a guest lecturer.

Sad - he was one of those rare things - a TV presenter who knew what he was talking about and was there because of his knowledge, not the size of his tits or who his dad is

I was very sad to hear about his death, I’ve also enjoyed both his TV programmes & his books. I particularly liked the fact that he was interested in telling the story of the ordinary soldier in making the of histories significant events, not just the generals & politicians.

Bumped into Sir Richard on the Somme some years back, a true gent. Will be missed.

As Bigadier TA his staff-officer walks were amazing; a true gent and a mine of information.

I'm shocked.

There's an open Memorial Service at 1430hrs on 8 June 2011 at the Royal Military Academy Sandhurst Chapel, for those that maybe local (and interested).

Very sad to hear this, his programmes were marvellous, so straight and well presented, a wealth of information given in such easy and direct terms without all the waffle and none of the repeating it several times over with special effects wobbly camera shots.

My favourite bits were when he would get on his horse and charge off into the distance.

Very sad indeed.

Back
Top Bottom