let there be light

Mush

can anyone help new adventure owner,its an import from holland. day after picking bike up,took it out for run at night and when out of town couldnt see more than 30 feet on dip. tried adjusting screw but to get enough spread made the load lever slack, also large spread on the left,lighting up fields more than the road. dealer told me its a continental lense? set for uk.anyone else got a import to compare with. :(

Cobblers

Cobblers, its the same lens, it can be rotated for right or left hand drive, its in the book how to do it, also there are adjusting screws accessible from the front with a phillips screwdriver for main & dip beams the one at the bottom of each lamp as you look at the lamp is for elevation and the one at the top of each lamp is for windage, or it might be the other way round, anyway its in the book but not very clear, this is in addition to the lever and screw behind the lamp assy.
Set the lever horizontal if riding solo and then set the right or left hand dip by rotating the lens assembly then set the elevation and windage as required.

HTH

gs advent dipped lense

thanks for that Jim.

I checked the headlight stop,it was the reason i phoned dealer cause the stop was on the right side,which in the book says set f
or riding on right.
dealer said because it was continental bike and had a different lense to a uk spec bike,you had to read the instructions like so:-

left stop A for driving on right (book left)
right stop B for driving on left (book right) Im not saying my dealer is lying but it would be good if i new for sure before 1st service. they said they would check the settings.

what side stop on your uk spec bike, anybody

what does your dip beam look like roughly 10 mtrs from a flat wall

mine is flat on right and slopes up on the left hand side of the beam.

Im doing most of my running in at night,so its a bit of a pain. :confused:

The sounds right, check out " Uprated Lights" on the Technical Board, the pics are my bike with driving lights fitted, £40 at most motor shops, check out "Halfords Spots" in technical, easy to fit.

You'll find lots of info here on this subject, the feeling is fit Philips Vision Plus 50% brighter lamps to dip & main beams www.powerbulbs.com
then make sure they are set up right AND fit some driving lights.

You won't be disappointed.

Hi Mush,

I got my 1150GS from a dealer in Germany, it was an ex demo and a considerably better deal than I could get over here.

I spent ages messing around with the light but could'nt improve it. It was throwing the beam to the right instead of lighting up the near side (ditch!) and blinding oncoming vehicles. The pattern on the garage door showed a flat to the left and angled up to the right - the opposite to yours - so you probably have the right light lense fitted.

I got a UK spec light from my dealer, which was exactly the same as the German one! When I complained they found that the wrong one had been ordered (european spec.)and supplied me with (another) UK one which threw the light over to the near side ie. flat pattern on the right and angled up to the left as it should be.

You will have to face the fact that the lights are crap. I am in the process of deciding which PIAA bulb would be the best to fit the GS. Any ideas anyone? There seems to be quite a choice leaving me a bit 'muddled'.

Martin.

Re fitting PIAA bulbs; I think that I have seen comments suggesting that fitting super bright bulbs doesn't improve, especially dip beam, as much as you would hope after making such a huge hole in your wallet. IIRC the limiting factor is the lens design itself. I also wouldn't bother uprating the main beam bulb as all you will achieve is a very bright pencil beam (I talking about the 1150 GS here). In my experience you get a much better result, possibly at less expense, fitting additional spot lights and angling them out and up to fill the holes in the main beam spread (or lack!). IMHO the lights on the 1150GS are dangerous.

Richard

Re Lights on R1150GS

Thanks for the advice,

I will have a look for any more info on this site

SO much information & advice its hard to remember it all.

:beerjug:

Re: Cobblers

Jimb said:
Cobblers, its the same lens, it can be rotated for right or left hand drive.

HTH

True that it can be rotated, but it's not the same unit. When in the 'usual' position, UK models dip left (and can be rotated to dip right), Continental models dip right (and can be rotated to dip left).

Mush will either have to ride around with a dip beam that looks wonky (but works properly) or buy a UK dip beam lens.

Greg

Back
Top Bottom