Back to Yellowstone (again)...

MikeO

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
21st August

I wake to find my leg is feeling fine – which is a pleasant surprise – although it’s fairly swollen and a great colour. I take a couple of painkillers as a precaution, then start to pack the bike. As I do, I notice that I’m not the only motorcyclist here…

7577450-L.jpg

This is Blaine Parks (with Max, snoozing in the chair) and this…

7577451-L.jpg

…is Janet (with Bailey in the sidecar). They are touring the USA raising awareness and financial support for Assistance & Guide Dogs*. The retrievers are remarkably calm – they wear goggles on the advice of the vet – apparently she insisted on it - they’d suffer from cataracts by the end of the journey otherwise.

I set off through Jackson Hole and towards the Great Teton National Park. The road, which, according to Bettie (and Mapsource V5) follows an entirely different path, takes me past Jenny Lake…

7577458-L.jpg

…where some plucky canoeists are braving the less than warm water. The altitude here is 6000 ft plus, and, although it’s not cold, it’s not far away from it. The road continues along the flat base of the valley, with the spectacular Teton range on the left…

7577452-L.jpg

The clouds which cling to the peaks of the mountains are dark and I know I’ll have to watch the weather carefully. I’ve decided to keep to asphalt today (as it turns out, the route I planned sticks to paved road) – I want to give my leg a fighting chance to heal…:D

Leaving the park to the north, past Jackson Lake…

7577463-L.jpg

…I’m soon entering Yellowstone by the South Entrance and, following the road around the north shore of the Yellowstone Lake…

7577467-L.jpg

…and exiting by the Eastern Entrance. There was recently a huge landslide here…

7577471-L.jpg

…and there’s a great deal of reconstruction work going on – the road is closed for 12 hours every night to facilitate this. I ride along Highway 20 towards Cody – it’s a great road…

7577437-L.jpg

…although the 50mph limit is a bit restrictive. Eventually I arrive in Cody and check in to the Best Value Inn.

A better day. :thumb

7584886-L.jpg

7577446-L.jpg

*If you’d like to know more, their website is www.hogsfordogs.org .

Back
Top Bottom