GPS

Mikey

well just a little twisted
UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
In the process of buying an 1150gs and wondered what GPS people use or reccommend

Depends

If you mainly stay on roads then if you can afford it the garmin 2610 is pretty much state of the art. Otherwise the SP3 does pretty much the same job but not as quickly or with such user friendliness. Whatever you get make sure it has nough memory for the useage you want it to do eg if you want A-Z level street maps on a journey up the UK the 2610 has no problem, the SP3 might and the V won't have a chance.

BTW other people make GPSR's, but no one seems to have them, which must say something.

Thanks for that. It's alot of money to spend and I wondered how weather proof these things are.

Any comments appreciated:drackula

Re: Depends

the SP3 might and the V won't have a chance.

[/B]

ahem!! my sp3 does accept all detailed maps of the uk minus norn iron
without a problem and tis well waterproof in the rain.. tis a fine machine without a doubt..
and its getting cheaper ..

Thanks for the feedback, afraid the 2610 is a little out of my price range however I've found a site where I can get a new SP3 for £407 which sounds like a good price and yes I know it's old technology.:fiddle

Thanks for that more or less convinced myself to get the SP3, from the site that you mentioned as it happens.

I'm from Bridgend so it's not that far away.

STOP !!!!!!!!!!!!!
B4 you part with your cash check the prices against www.sportextreme.com . A few of us GSers have used them to good results and great prices. Delivery is by UPS within a couple of days anywhere in Europe . It's your money but I'd be surprised if yuo can find cheaper anywhere else. They are offering the SPIII at GBP 603.42 at the moment. How does that compare ?

Gecko maffs!

Gecko, do you really mean GBP £603.42 when Mr Evans has said he bought one for £391 ex VAT. Mind you, that could be Welsh £'s

:D

Surley the best thing to do on a budget is to wait for the Garmin Quest to come out. September should be about right.

Up to date GPS with 234 megabytes of memory.

Parfait....

BigCol said:
Do you really mean GBP £603.42 when Evans has said he bought one for £391 ex VAT. Mind you, that could be Welsh £'s
Welsh pounds are the same as the English ones :D Straight up, the price was £391 exc VAT. Even if I had to pay the VAT, it would be £459 + £15 postage, but as I will be using it 100% for business use, AND as the business is VAT registered I don't have to pay the VAT.

Hi Mike
not taken delivery of that blue and white GS yet??

I am using a Bmw navigator in other words a 2610

totally brilliant and head and shoulders above it predessor:D :D

went through some seriously heavy wet weather in czech rep

and germany with it not a problem at all.

:D

As a "first" GPS, could be worth waiting for the "Quest", as it's only a month away. Looks like the replacement model for the "V"

It's £10 cheaper than a StreetPilot III.

Looking at the screen shots I get the feeling they've made a smaller StreetPilot III, but with fixed memory.

For £10 difference tho, I've just gone for the StreetPilot III and the ability to use chips, albeit the Garmin ones, to be able to have more maps. It comes with car kit, City Navigator V6 etc, all ready to go.

As PanEuropean says, the map data is only going to increase in size, not decrease.

Difficult personal choice tho, 'specially if you've never had a GPS.

Gps

Hey Ming

Picking it up tomorrow, can't wait.

Just wondered if the 2610 was £200 better than a SP111. I suppose that the ability to upgrade the memory cheaply must count in it's favour.:jester

Back
Top Bottom