Off road tyres for Western Russia?

nrg

Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm in the midst of getting things organised for my first trip to Russia and amongst the many doubts I have I am wondering about the condition of Russian roads. I intend to stick to western Russia making my way South from St Petersburg to the Black Sea. ...what sort of tyres should I put on my F800GS? Something more off roadish than the stock Pirelli Skorpions?
Cheers!:mmmm

They'll be fine, I prefer to use Tourance in those conditions.
The roads will be 'variable' in the west but generally quite rideable on road bias tyres:thumb

Hi all,

I'm in the midst of getting things organised for my first trip to Russia and amongst the many doubts I have I am wondering about the condition of Russian roads. I intend to stick to western Russia making my way South from St Petersburg to the Black Sea. ...what sort of tyres should I put on my F800GS? Something more off roadish than the stock Pirelli Skorpions?
Cheers!:mmmm

Nrg, whats your plan, have ben thinking for sometime about going into Russia so would be interested how/where you intend to go?

Roynie and I were in Russia first week of July.

Tourances will be fine. Some of the roads (e.g. M10 - St. Petes to Moscow, M2 - Moscow to Bolgorad) are in pretty poor condition, but you'll get better road holding from tyres with a road bias than knobblies.

If you are spending any time in Moscow, I can recommend a couple of (quite civilised) biker bars.

P.S. Don't, like us, be fooled by the "M" road designation. A lot of these roads are three-lane highways, some dual carriageways and some single carriageway.

I rode from Vladivostok all the way across back to UK in July/August this year on a set of Tourances - no roads in places - no punctures and no problems with my 2007 1200GS either.

In all I probably rode about 400 miles or so on non paved roads and Tourances were OK. The last of these unpaved sections was in Kansk - from there onwards it was all paved.

You can get details from my blog http://strimstrum.blogspot.com

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom