Questions about my new 12GS

Plankton Pete

It's coming at last. My spankin' 1200GS arrives next week and two weeks earlier than the original date so that's good. ::D :D

Just a question or two for those with mileage on theirs, if I may .....
apparently the bike comes with quasi road/ trail tyres, such as Metzler Tourances (which I thought were great on my 1100 and 1150 GSs) but I've heard that Bridgestone have done a fitment for the BT012, which is a blinding road tyre. The nearest I'll be going off road will be bumping up a kerb at the garage, so has anyone heard the same about Bridgestone and has anyone tried them? :thumb
I'd also be very grateful for any feedback on experiences with fender extenders, aftermarket cans and Cat replacements, huggers and Baglux tank harnesses.
Yours in tail wagging excitement.
Pete.

Pete,

As far as I know, Bridgestone do the BT020 in GS sizes... The BT020 is a more distance oriented version of the BT010... and the BT012 is a more track oriented evolution of the BT010...
I've only got experience of the BT010 on a GSX-R1000, and to me that was a superb tyre..

TheJoker said:
Pete,

As far as I know, Bridgestone do the BT020 in GS sizes... The BT020 is a more distance oriented version of the BT010... and the BT012 is a more track oriented evolution of the BT010...
I've only got experience of the BT010 on a GSX-R1000, and to me that was a superb tyre..

Joker, you're absoutely right, I meant the BT020, not the 012 - the 020 might be a more distance oriented version of the excellent 010 but it has always had excelent reports on grip, both wet and dry.
Has anyone tried them on the GS?
P

Pete

I put BT020 on my 1150GS a few thousand miles ago and they are great!

The bike "feels" lighter and grip in the dry and wet is superb. They are a different profile from the OE tyres and are much more suited to the road as that's what they're designed for. Cornering is a pleasure and they haven't "let go" yet.

HTH

Plankton Pete said:
It's coming at last. My spankin' 1200GS arrives next week and two weeks earlier than the original date so that's good. ::D :D

Just a question or two for those with mileage on theirs, if I may .....
apparently the bike comes with quasi road/ trail tyres, such as Metzler Tourances (which I thought were great on my 1100 and 1150 GSs) but I've heard that Bridgestone have done a fitment for the BT012, which is a blinding road tyre. The nearest I'll be going off road will be bumping up a kerb at the garage, so has anyone heard the same about Bridgestone and has anyone tried them? :thumb
I'd also be very grateful for any feedback on experiences with fender extenders, aftermarket cans and Cat replacements, huggers and Baglux tank harnesses.
Yours in tail wagging excitement.
Pete.

My first 1200GS came with Tourances, which I found offered a good grip/durability compromise, with hardly any noticeable wear, front or rear, after 3050 miles.....

My current 1200GS has Annakee's fitted, which seem grippier but a little twitchy in the wet....and they are already showing signs of wear after just over 1000 miles.....

You'll find details of our long front fender, which is 7" longer than OE and our rear hugger here:

www.bmwridersscotland.com/Merchandise.htm

Cheers

Dutch

I had Bridgstone OM tyres

If i was more energetic I'd walk the 5 mins to the car park and check what they are called but I think it is "Trailwing"

Anyway just over 3000 miles and they are great. Very little wear, very good grip in the dry and wet.

Had BT 010's on the kwak, and these on the GS are just as good. better wear but just as good grip wise. I have no chicken strips left and never have teh tyres felt like they will let go.

The front end hover has felt "skittish" when hitting cats eyes on wet roads, but the tyres are ok. I dare say more fiddling with the suspension would help, but as others have written this settles down over time, seems to need breaking in along with the engine.

Not tried BT020s on the GS (still on the OE Anakees) but was very disappointed with the front BT020 on my R1100RS - knackered after 4000 miles, although the rear had lots of life left in it. The rear was much better than the previous BT57, the front much poorer than the previous BT56.

On the GS the Anakees work fine for me.

Chrysostom

Re: Re: Questions about my new 12GS

Dutchman said:

You'll find details of our long front fender, which is 7" longer than OE and our rear hugger here:

www.bmwridersscotland.com/Merchandise.htm

Cheers

Dutch

Cheers Durch. The hugger looks gorgeous although I'm not certain about the front mudguard, from the pics - looks a little 70s?
Does the hugger replace the little OE pooper scooper thing at the rear or can you have both on?

PP

Dunlops

My R12GS just came with Dunlops and after a mere 800 miles they show little if any wear. Usually dry out here so I don't have the wet weather concerns you have over there. But the past week has given us more rain than we usually get most of the Summer. The Dunlops seemed to do pretty well.

FN in MT

Back
Top Bottom