Anyone tried adjusting the bar position

JayGee

Reaction score
I've had the R12GS for over a month and being built like an orangutang (long arms) I find the bars would be better a bit further forward, has anyone tried moving the bars? They look like they would roll forward an inch or two but I'm not sure that the levers can be rotated or whether they've got locating pins etc. Obviously I could try but first I'd have to buy some star sockets and Tork bits and I wondered if anyone else had tried.
Cheers JG

Obviously I could try but first I'd have to buy some star sockets and Tork bits

You haven't looked in the tool kit yet then???
:D

As an addendum, might be worth asking if anyone's added bar risers and mounted them on backwards (ie rise and push away rather than towards).........I'd have thought that might well work nicely.

Fanum said:
You haven't looked in the tool kit yet then???
:D

Yep, I have, there ain't no star sockets in mine and the Torx are so flimsy they are only for emergency use.
OOPS! best not say that we'll only get more whines about the 12GS
Not sure about bar risers, the bars are already too high. Oh shit! another bit of ammunition for the 12GS moaners
:)
Cheers JG

being long in the arm myself - on both my 1100's i've always pushed the 'bars forward as much as they'll go - within reason.

the levers don't rotate so there is a limit dictated by functionality.

but they'd go forwards ( and upwards ) by at least 1 1/2" -ish

which was nice.

the levers don't rotate so there is a limit dictated by functionality.

You certain?

Seem to remember reading about a minor mod that would enable them to be rotated......removing a locating pin or something???

Someone'll probably know.

they CAN be made to rotate - by removing a pin or filing a tab etc.

i just didn't want to - BTDT with jap bikes and the throttle ends up rotating the m/c after a few years of wear.

also the mirrors will act on the m/c and tend to try and rotate the lot.

it can be done - but ultimately better if you don't go down that road.

Eh? I rotated my levers down and forward a little bit. Not a lot, but there was nothing preventing me from making the small adjustment that I needed...

Jonboy, my dealer told me that the bars 'are' Renthals; but visually I think they are high quality Magura made items so bunging cheap Renthals on might not be as good! Can play with size to suit (you & cabling) though, so maybe worth a go; personally I really like the stock bars and position setting ont he two bikes I've ridden so far.

Mine arrives tomorrow... Mine arrives tomorrow. Mine arrives tomorrow....

:tigger

Captain Scarlet said:
Jonboy, my dealer told me that the bars 'are' Renthals

respectfully tell you dealer that he is full of S^^T.
the stock bars on the R12GS are made of Steel(no idea if is a fancy alloy or just plain steel) and they are not even close to the quality standard of the Renthal "fatbars" they weight about 2,3 kilos(when a real "fatbar' is about 1,2Kilos) and the wall thickness is quite sustancial..

about the bend,,well we better not even go there..

Captain Scarlet said:
Mine arrives tomorrow... Mine arrives tomorrow. Mine arrives tomorrow...

So, um, you get your bike soon do you? :D

Let us know what it's like...

I just put touratech 25mm bar raisers (i tried the wunderlich 25mm also) and i'm really happy with the result.
The stering feels lighter and my shoulder isn't hurting any more.

I rotated my bars forward at least 2", making it much more comfortable when I ride standing up (which I do often to stretch on long days).

A worthwhile note: You can use a std 8mm socket on the Torx bolts holding the handlebars on.

I also mounted Fastway footpegs (the model for the R1150GS works fine) which help even more in riding standing up. You then have a much wider platform to stand on, and the improvement in comfort and control is amazing.

In addition, they lower the footpeg position by 1" or so.

Back
Top Bottom