buying an RT

slimpickings

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Am thinking (again ) of buying an RT

have now sold the GS
Got sick of the buffetting
and it was rather a lot of money to have sat in the shed

Any views or comments on what you would buy 1150,1200, new, or a few years old :rolleyes:

RT

Just back from a trip to Germany visiting friends on my R1200RT...

Left tuesday morning arrived tuesday evening in time for dinner...returned thursday, arrived home same day in time for dinner.

Absolutely brilliant bit of kit, poured with rain through Belgium then around the Pas de Calais encountered very high cross winds, dealt with all conditions with consumate ease.

Comfortable quick and surprisingly economical.

IMHO After owning 2 GSA's and 1 GS I can honestly say that for fast touring this beats them hands down, and it's faster.

BTW it is as easy to thread through traffic as a GS/GSA with panniers, did it for about 8 miles of standing traffic on the M1 and during the rush hour in Bruges.

I've always be repelled by the hideous looks of all the RTs but got one cheap earlier this year.

Just an amazing machine for covering miles, and so pleasant to ride.

feels just as chuckable as a GS

Am so impressed, am looking at another for spares !

(even starting to get used to the looks and image :blast)

Going to take it on the Stella next month so should find out what its like off road as well !

I'd consider how you ride before selecting the engine size.

I've had a twin cam 1200RT from new and really liked it until I got a well worn 1150GS. The GS has a bit more excitement about it and makes power from a lot lower down the rev range.

The 1150 makes decent power from 2000rpm whereas the 1200 really needs 3000rpm to get going. Ultimately the 1200 is faster, but the 1150 never feels any slower, and for pottering about then its the better bike (although thats as much about it being a GS as beng an 1150).

But for high speed, long distances, then the RT is superb. A few weeks ago I had a week in the Alps and it was great. It'll sit at the speed limit for as long as you want when you just need to get there and is great in the twisty bits when you arrive.

Mark

Back
Top Bottom