Oil filter tool?

suarvharv

Reaction score
Can anyone help with sourcing an oil filter tool, other than the £40 BMW one? A post back in July said Hein Gericke do one, but I've tried all 5 London branches (sad) without success. Off on a euro tour soon and will go through the 6k mark.
thanks,
harv

Thanks for that. Unfortunately the $ sign usually turns to a £ by the time stuff is shipped to the UK so I doubt I would save much.
harv

suarvharv said:
Can anyone help with sourcing an oil filter tool, other than the £40 BMW one? A post back in July said Hein Gericke do one, but I've tried all 5 London branches (sad) without success. Off on a euro tour soon and will go through the 6k mark.
thanks,
harv

I got one from South London Motorcycles, the BMW dealer in Coulsdon & it was less than a tenner!

Give them a ring or try Park Lane in Clapham.

Re: Re: Oil filter tool?

hops said:
I got one from South London Motorcycles, the BMW dealer in Coulsdon & it was less than a tenner!

For an R1200GS?? Have you test fit it on an R1200GS filter?

Re: Re: Oil filter tool?

hops said:

Unfortunately it was SLM who quoted me £40 for the 12GS tool, so I suspect yours will only fit the previous engines. The filter is 76mm diameter and has 12 flutes (grooves) around the circumference for the tool to grip on. Looks like I'll be doing an oil but not a filter change.

Thanks. A strap wrench might get it off although the exhaust pipe is in the way. Being rather paranoid about working on a new bike I'd like to torque up the replacement though.

I've seen one which i thought was rather nifty.

It had 3 'L' shaped prongs made from 1/4" rod , hinged off a disc that self tightened - using a 1/2" drive.
Sort of thing that would fit into any space and fit any canister type filter.

I 'think' it was MPS, M&P sort of place.

About a tenner at a guess ?

Didn't get one cos i didn't need one :(

(and i'm getting old so my memory is going. )

..........eh? you wanted what ? :)

Ta. That might do it, I shall investigate. Have tried a Halfords version of same but it uses short bits of bar to grip and hence fouls on the engine side of the filter, but 1/4" rod may be ok.

The one at the top of this web page looks favourite.-http://www.justoffbase.co.uk/s.nl?c=317638&sc=9&category=-109&search=oil%20filter%20wrench

Success!

Motomartin's suggestion made me realise I could grind down the arms of the Halfords 3 legged tool I bought. A noisy hour of trial and error with an angle grinder and, it's not pretty, but it works.

Thank you all for your ideas. Not allowed to post attachments, otherwise I would show you a photo.

And here it is. If anyone in London needs to do a filter change you're welcome to borrow it.

Attachments

• img_0322.jpg
    img_0322.jpg
    121.6 KB · Views: 771
I may have stumbled across the solution to the oil filter removal tool!, as i was checking all the fluids, under the bonnet of my car (03 Renault Clio 1.5dci), i looked at the oil filter and thought, that looks familiar, back into the garage i reach for the1200GS's new filter, same diameter, same number of indentations (12), if anyone out there works for, or knows someone who works for a Renault dealer, if they have a removal tool it will fit.

Re: Re: Re: Oil filter tool?

suarvharv said:
Unfortunately it was SLM who quoted me £40 for the 12GS tool, so I suspect yours will only fit the previous engines. The filter is 76mm diameter and has 12 flutes (grooves) around the circumference for the tool to grip on. Looks like I'll be doing an oil but not a filter change.

Unreal thread.......
....not a filter change....
You spend thousands and thousands on a GS then 'bitch' about a few pounds for a critical tool....sometimes I despair!
Get real!:shoot:

Torque

Suarharv,

What is the torque required?

Has anyone tried the Renault tool option?

Thanks

This question (what to use for an oil filter wrench) has come up many times, both here and at ADVRider.com. I have the Jesse tool myself, but someone suggested the following to me. If I'd thought of it first, I wouldn't have bought the Jesse (or the other generic auto-store one that didn't work).

Sandpaper, or steelwool the bottom of the oil filter (and your spare oil filters). Wipe with alcohol for a super clean surface. Mix up some good epoxy and glue a 17mm nut to the bottom of the oil filter(s). Let stand overnight.

Now you can use the open-end 17mm wrench that's in the R1200GS' stock toolkit (even the 'new' improved toolkit with 1/3rd the tools in it).

Neat idea, huh?

Back
Top Bottom