D-Day 70th anniversary

big albig

Reaction score
I know its a long way off but I am going to book my camping pitch in Arromanches for the 70th Anniversary of the D-Day landings.
If anyone fancies coming allong for the trip your more than welcome.

If you've never been before to see the beaches this is a great trip, and a good starter trip if you've never been over to Europe before. :thumb

I was there for the sixtieth anniversary 7 years ago, one of my most memorable trips, outstanding. I believe that was to be the last official large scale celebration. If it looks like there will be a bit going on I'll be up for it stick a post up nearer the time, do you have any Knowledge wot will be going on Big Albig?
Bikenav

Did ...

... the 60th and hope to be back there next year; Sports Day permitting :rob

Was there for the 50th and 60th, and a few in between, really moving , will do my best to be there for the 70th:thumb

We did the beaches, museums and sites of interest earlier this year (May) we stayed in Bayeux, a lovely little town apparently undamaged by the war, we had good weather, it wasn't very busy and there were no queues for anything, we pretty much came and went as we pleased, we were about a month too early for the opening of the new museum/exhibition at Utah beach, I would like to go back and visit that one day but I wouldn't want to go at the time of an anniversary I don't have the patience for queues and crowds but each to their own :nenau

I know its a long way off but I am going to book my camping pitch in Arromanches for the 70th Anniversary of the D-Day landings. If anyone fancies coming allong for the trip your more than welcome.
I never knew you were so organised Al, the 6th June 2014 is quite a way off.

Having said that I'm tempted, but no doubt I'll see you before then. :D

What about West Wales Weekend Taff, Then we can talk about the finer points of the forth coming trip. And have some red medicine mmmmmm.:thumb

Thats 3 confirmed then.
Big Al
Scott
Glan
Any one else want to go please phone me,
Or post your names.
any one else want to go

Damn.. would love to go! Waiting for my Schengen..... and was told it could take up to 3 weeks :blast

Hi Bikenav. There will be a procession of millitary vehicles as well as a ceremony unveiling a new plaque of the D Day landings, and a flypast with a firework display in the evening.

Just had a phone call from Big D and Steve Xjr1300.and Dauville
will be added to the list.
Cheers boys:thumb

Damn.. would love to go! Waiting for my Schengen..... and was told it could take up to 3 weeks :blast
Am I missing something here gents?

Forget the 3 weeks for any paperwork you're waiting for, Als 70th Anniversary trip isn't for 3 years.

Am I missing something here gents?

Forget the 3 weeks for any paperwork you're waiting for, Als 70th Anniversary trip isn't for 3 years.

Yep it's 2014... but wasn't the idea to go over now to eyeball sites....unless I'm missing the bus here...? :comfort

Al would this be better off moved to the open invites section to give people better chance to see it.

You could always put a limit on the numbers if your concerned about over subscription.

If anyone fancies going please put your names below.
If you've never been abroad before this is an ideal starter trip.
This will be limited to about 20 place's and it will be camping.

Cheers all.
Big Al.

We did the beaches, museums and sites of interest earlier this year (May) we stayed in Bayeux, a lovely little town apparently undamaged by the war, we had good weather, it wasn't very busy and there were no queues for anything, we pretty much came and went as we pleased, we were about a month too early for the opening of the new museum/exhibition at Utah beach, I would like to go back and visit that one day but I wouldn't want to go at the time of an anniversary I don't have the patience for queues and crowds but each to their own :nenau

Did exactly the same in 03 not long after buying my 1150GS . The beaches were quiet, really liked Bayeux and the audio tour of the Tapestry was more interesting than I expected:thumb

Back
Top Bottom