Rocking bike off centre stand

Reggie

Hi chaps,

well our mate Basil showed us a new technique in getting the bike off the centre stand yesterday.

The bike was sat on it's centre stand, fully loaded, complete with passenger. He got onto the bike and rocked it gently. It rolled off the stand however Basil's timing was a little off, the bike was a little off centre and it came crashing to the floor.

The good news was that both him and his passenger were OK and the H&B bars did their stuff (I must buy a set as I'm guaranteed to drop mine one day). Anyway that's one battle scar for the bike!

Regards

Reggie

LOL....tell him it's not damage, it's CHARACTER:D

I ride mine off the centre stand from time to time but I don't think I'd do it fully laden, two up....particularlyu on a 12!!!

I used to ride my R1100RS off of the center stand quite frequently, particularly when it was heavily laden. Never had a problem. BUT... the R1200GS seems to be differently balanced. Unlike most (all?) other BMWs, the rear tire is off the ground instead of the front, and it is not so close to the balance point that loading it up puts the back tire firmly on the ground. what this means is that the rear tire never seems to get enough grip to be able to ride off the center stand. It does make for dandy "burn outs", though...

:D

Have the rest of you found it to be this way, as well?

Emoto said:
the R1200GS seems to be differently balanced. Unlike most (all?) other BMWs, the rear tire is off the ground instead of the front

Well it was probably designed that way to let people check their final drive in an easy way :p

Jeez Reggie, Basil must look like Goliaths big brother! :D

The official line is retain your foot on the stand as you gently lower it.

My technique is - kick the pillion off, get off, put on stand, push off stand, get on bike, ask pillion to carefully remount.

Pushing it off the stand with pillion and luggage isn't doing the rear shock, stand, heart palputations or bank balance any good!

Alternative technique - kick pillion off, get off, detach panniers, get on bike, bellow 'buy your own bike ya free-loader' at ex-pillion / pedestrain, and thrap off up the road with the one you love!;)

Hi Captain Scarlet,

I totally agree with your alternative option!

I have enough trouble reaching the footpegs never mind the floor!!!

regards

Reggie

Capn' Scarlett is right!
Heard in the Joker-household: "Just 'coz the GS has got a good pillion seat doesn't mean it'll be available for you..." :cool:

Hi chaps so the secrets out ,on slight camber over we went ,pulled bike back up ,mi daughter spanner had words to say,alas the bar were only scracted ,yes they do work them h/becker e/bars.Not bother as i have yet to modify to fit a bash plate aka true yorkshire grit.Reggie is this the start of war of roses 2 .:rolleyes:

have always rocked all my bikes off the centre stand. will continue to do so, will buy new stand if neccesary. try to get a fully laden adv with a higher seat off on hill without gasing it. Anyway the babes love it!;)

Spanish Bob said:
have always rocked all my bikes off the centre stand. will continue to do so, will buy new stand if neccesary. try to get a fully laden adv with a higher seat off on hill without gasing it. Anyway the babes love it!;)

Hey Bob, you got a real attitude problem dude...:D

Back
Top Bottom