new and help please.

neal chadwick

Reaction score
HELLO FELLOW TOSSERS, YES IM NEW, YES IVE JUST PASSED MY TEST AND YES IVE BOUGHT A R850GS IN RED AND DOUBLE YES I LOVE IT.I WONDER IF WE HAVE ANYBODY TO HELP ME. WHILST RIDING (ive only done 4 hours on it upto now) i seem to be getting a lot of wind buffering. ive altered the screen in a coupe of directions but does not seem to help. Is this normal, im not doing mad speeds when this occurs 40mph - 50 mph.Neal.

welcome along and good choice of wheels :clap

you could look for 'tobinators' which lift up the screen and extend the range of adjustment. They're fairly common for the 1150 GS but I've seldom seen them for the 850 or 1100 GS (which both have the same screen IIRC). Someone wiser will be along in a bit to say where you might be able to get them.

Otherwise, it's a different screen (i seem to remember a taller screen was about £60 at motorworks) - lots of peeps swear by the MRA vario screen which has an adjustable flappy thing at the top. About £100 new I think, or post in the wanted section here.

Trial and error seems to be the way .....

Hi Neal and welcome :beerjug:

First off, it has been pretty windy recently. Have you been out and about in adverse weather? It's also pretty hard to see where the issue is when we don't know how all the variable (tall you are, helmet, screen angle, how you sit) :nenau

Secondly I suggest you find your local region on the forum and see if there are any local riders with similar bikes. There's also a section just for your model as well. You'll never find two identical GSs over 6 months old so you'll be able to see what modifications others have made. You'll get loads of advice on here but it's always worth seeing them in the flesh before you part with money. :thumb

Hi Neal & welcome :thumb2

If you don't do much high speed, you could take the screen off. Makes the GS look even more fugly, but it'll be nice & quiet, and you won't miss the wind protection below 60 mph.

To fit Tobinators to the 850 or 1100, you need to buy an 1150 screen too. There are loads of other aftermarket screens of various sizes, shapes, prices and adjustability, and a whole bunch of opinions on their effectiveness- look no further than this site and its search features to find more info, suggestions & links.

If you do buy a new screen, it's a matter of a few seconds with a bandsaw to chop down the original black screen to a tidy cockpit size, if you prefer to go naked sometimes but don't like the post-apocalyptic survival bike look of an un-screened GS.

Enjoy your new bike!

screen

Hi Neal/
I am in chester dont know where you are in cheshire but if you look for tobinators ,(adjustable brackets that hold screen to fairing)as said above you will need an 1150 screen ,I have one you can have ,just sat in the shed so if it helps to get you started let me know.

:beerjug:Brian..

thanks

Thanks Brian , im in Dukinfield just outside Manchester, very nice offer that . I might take you up on it. Im going to do a few miles this weekend on and off the motorway and see how it feels. I ve only done about 4 hours on the bike upto now and its a bit different than my YAMAHA WR 125R so i think i need to get use to things especially the indicators being on either grip.

Greetings & salutations, welcome to the site & congrats on passing your test, and getting your bike....:thumb2

Most advice has been covered, so take up the offers made / visit the model specific section and you'll be sorted I'm sure...:D

Back
Top Bottom