R1200GS Adventure - Spy Pics.

you are really funny (but it's 2:20 in the morning and I am not loughing)

Hey dude!

The adventure model is slightly better in the road holding department.

I'm not laughing either....

There appears to be 2 bevel drives on this model....

:beerjug:

Nou ja meneer! Goed om nog n Suid Afrikaner te hoor!

Interesting how BMW chose SA to launch the 12GS. I only wonder why its taken them so long to figure out that this is the ideal place to do such things.

Tot later boetie!

I was innocently tooling along (in a microlight) in the vicinity of Haverford West a few years ago when I was unacceptably and suddenly "buzzed" by one of these engines.

They come from the Netherlands I believe and are quite popular with our wackier brethren in the model aircraft fraternity.

Putting out about 1500 times the thrust of the old Jetex solid fuel engines of the 60's, they actually comprise a proper reverse flow combustor jet turbine engine with a good 160 N of thrust from just a couple of odd kilos of engine mass.

fd3a.jpg
fd3b.jpg

What made the one that "buzzed" me particularly memorable was that instead of being fitted to the expected R/C airframe, this power unit was batting along at 55 knots on the back of a lifesize MDF likeness of Bart Simpson on a skateboard.

Which one would have found impressive in the school playground..... but at 1200ft on the QFI? It was more of a matter of considered clenching for some minutes, wait for it/he to clear my position and hope it wasn't a full blown temporal lobe seizure that I was about to have.

bart-skatezoom.jpg

Back
Top Bottom