Brakes question(s)...

NLS

1200GS has ABS + servo-powered + semi-linked (front to rear, rear alone) braking system.

If ABS fails, you are fine, just don't have ABS, right?

If servo fail, I expect that you STILL have functioning brakes, but they are rock hard (like erm... a NON-servo-powered bike?) and maybe the "jump" from servoed to non-servoed can make you think that they don't work? (since they need much more force) Am I right? I have tried to brake a 1200 switched off (me being off the bike and holding it) and indeed they work they are just not "as expected"... so? Am I right? (because I heard people complaining about no-braking situation if servos fail)

Semi-link can fail? Or it's mechanical and works all the time? If it fails what happens? Revert to non-linked?

Can someone clear those things once and for all? (responsibly)

Yes, if the ABS fails, its just like having no ABS.

If the servo goes, then you need a bloody strong right hand to stop the thing. You can try this by just rolling around with the ignition off - the lever isn't hard as such, it just doesn't give anything like the braking force per mm of lever movement compared to having the servo on.

Just the same as in a car with servo brakes or power steering. Sometimes people stall their car without realising it (doh!) and then say "the steering locked solid" or whatever, when all that happened is the servo/pump assistance was unavailable.

this is what I did - rolling with ignition off (on the demo)

my point is (and I need validation) that you CAN stop, it's just HARD

now if it's as hard as having a non-servo bike but the (maybe sudden and unexpected) "difference" makes us feel like it's even harder, or if it's indeed even harder than a normal 200Kg+ bike with no servos, that would need some analysis

and the question if link can fail or it's plain hardware, remains also...

many things float around about BMW brakes (and I always found them great on any BMW I've ridden and 1200 has the best for me) and a bit of a validation would be nice...

My recollection is that it's FAR harder to stop a GS with the engine off than a comparable weight non servo assisted bike.

I'm not sure what the technical reason for this is, though. And I'm just remembering from the test ride, so I may be wrong.

And I'm guessing that the brake linking will work by the computer activating the rear servo when the front brake is applied - so if the computer somehow fails the linking will simply cease to work. Pure speculation though.

I can confirm mouse's recollection. Trying to brake with no servo, e.g. with ignition off is very difficult, far harder than a non servo assisted bike of similar weight. I would be very reluctant to continue riding, even a short distance, if servo was to fail.

Back
Top Bottom