Hi all

KiwiPhil

I'm new to the GS world. Have just picked up a new 1200GS. My other ride is an 1100 Boxer Cup Replica (the Mamola one). I've owned quite a few BM's and have toured around quite a few countries. I owned an R90S when I lived in the UK in the big hair, shiney suit 80's.

I'm currently debating whether or not to keep the BCR - It's a great bike and I really thought I was buying something unique, and then BMW bought out another one - I should have guessed. They are getting a bit like Moto Guzzi - a new limited edition model to replace the last limited edition each year.

Why I did not buy a GS earlier I do not know, but suffice to say, I have seen the light :)

I live in the South Island of New Zealand (Christchurch), which is my bit of two wheeled paradise. The SI has a fantastic combination of roads that really suit the dual purpose bikes.

Anyway, if any of you are thinking of coming down this way and want some local advice, a place to crash, advice on the best roads, pointers to the best bars, advice on renting a bike or whatever then just ask or PM me and I'll send you my email.

Anyway, good to virtually meet you all.

P.S. Are there any other Kiwi's on this board?

I wouldn't eat one of those have you seen where they come from.....

Attachments

• screenshot039.jpg
    screenshot039.jpg
    36.2 KB · Views: 521
Welcome aboard KiwiPhil......

Yes we have several Kiwis and ozzies here.....it's some sort of EU law that we have to accept them in I think ;) :D

A 1200gs huh???

Pretty cool......but when are you going to get a proper bike like a GSA or even a standard 1150?
:p :p

:rolleyes: :D :D

Hi there and welcome!
I am also quite new at this forum, I live as far away from you as is possible, in Sweden!!! :)

I added you to my buddylist...New Zeeland is one of the places on this planet that I dream of visiting someday, I'll keep your adress if I manage to come someday!!!

Hope you will like your new GS! Mine is HOPEFULLY coming end of next week!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I have been waiting for 3 months!!!!

What colour do you have and did you order any accessories?

Hope to hear from you!

*HENRIK* in Sweden

KiwiPhil said:
I'm new to the GS world. Have just picked up a new 1200GS. My other ride is an 1100 Boxer Cup Replica (the Mamola one). I've owned quite a few BM's and have toured around quite a few countries. I owned an R90S when I lived in the UK in the big hair, shiney suit 80's.

I'm currently debating whether or not to keep the BCR - It's a great bike and I really thought I was buying something unique, and then BMW bought out another one - I should have guessed. They are getting a bit like Moto Guzzi - a new limited edition model to replace the last limited edition each year.

Why I did not buy a GS earlier I do not know, but suffice to say, I have seen the light :)

I live in the South Island of New Zealand (Christchurch), which is my bit of two wheeled paradise. The SI has a fantastic combination of roads that really suit the dual purpose bikes.

Anyway, if any of you are thinking of coming down this way and want some local advice, a place to crash, advice on the best roads, pointers to the best bars, advice on renting a bike or whatever then just ask or PM me and I'll send you my email.

Anyway, good to virtually meet you all.

:D :D

Yo.

Are you into Rugby ?

Is the Englands lions tour of an interest to you ?

June 4 v Bay of Plenty
Rotorua International Stadium
June 8 v Taranaki
Yarrow Stadium, New Plymouth
June 11 v NZ Maori
Waikato Stadium, Hamilton
June 15 v Wellington
Westpac Stadium, Wellington
June 18 v Otago
Carisbrook, Dunedin
June 21 v Southland
Rugby Park Stadium, Invercargill
June 25 v NEW ZEALAND (1st Test)
Jade Stadium, Christchurch
June 28 v Manawatu
Arena Manawatu, Palmerston North
July 2 v NEW ZEALAND (2nd Test)
Westpac Stadium, Wellington
July 9 v NEW ZEALAND (3rd Test)
Eden Park, Auckland

Do you know anyway of getting tickets ? - if at all ?
Would be keenly interested if you could.
Anyone else 'popping over' ?

Just got back!

Hiya KiwiPhil

Just got back from a months motorhoming of South Island. You sure have a beautiful country inhabited by a lot of friendly open and pretty stress free people.

Didn't see hardly any bikes South of Kaikoura but then suddenly there were loads. Maybe the snow and gravelled roads put them in the garage.

Favourite places, well there were so many, every corner seemed to open a stunning view. Sea kaying in Marahau (Abel Tasman) was certainly a hightlight as was the Picton coast road, but again the whole trip was a highlight.

Will try to attach a couple of pics: Gravelled road in Catlins, Te Anau in the snow & Lake Wataroa

Attachments

• lake whataroa2.jpg
    lake whataroa2.jpg
    26.1 KB · Views: 474
again!

One picci per post eh. 1st one was Lake

This one Catlins roads.

Attachments

• catlins2.jpg
    catlins2.jpg
    51.2 KB · Views: 470
KiwiPhil said:

Welcome aboard.

There are at least 3 other Kiwis on the board. Steve in Hamilton has an R80GS/PD, KiwiAdventure in Auckland a GSA but will be exchanging it for an R1200GS in December, and I'm in the South Auckland area, with a yellow R1200GS since early April. There may well be others.

and again.

Finally Te Anau in the snow

Attachments

• snow te anau2.jpg
    snow te anau2.jpg
    30.4 KB · Views: 455
motomartin said:
Do you know anyway of getting tickets ? - if at all ?

I can't answer for KiwiPhil, but it's usually not a great problem to get tickets for rugby matches in NZ. There are several methods available. One is through travel agents overseas who organize tours. Another is on-line, where some web sites sell tickets. One possibility is Sports Tickets International at http://www.sportstickets.wb.gs/ although they do not yet have the Lions Tour. Your local rugby union should also be able to get tickets for you. And finally there is always the queue at the sportsground when they open for ticket sales.

I'm not a real Kiwi, but I'm moving in that direction.

I'll be back on the South Island (Dunedin) in October, for the next few years at least. My 1150GS will be following, and should be off the boat in time for Christmas.

Three weeks out there last month was enough to see that I'll be spending plenty of time exploring the place, and ideally looking for like-minded people to laugh at me and help pick the bike up if my skills don't match up to some of the off-tarmac temptations.

Thanks Lads,

Dahoum: is there a version of this site for darkest Surrey?

Fanum: I was told that the 1200 IS a "proper" GS - damn it, you mean I brought the wrong bike :)

TranceDancer: Red, Black (colours of my local rugby team) with Grey seat. Also added the tankbag and engine bars (the larger ones). Just feel free to make contact if you are ever down this way.

MotoMartin: I'm a HUGE rugby fan (I support Canterbury who's colours are the same as the new GS - or was it round the other way). I CAN get good tickets for the ChCh Lions test so let me know if you want some and I'll see what I can do.

Wraith: Glad you enjoyed the trip - believe me its MUCH hotter in the summer. There are many riders in the SI but we probably tend to be more summer riders than you hardy Brits. We do have an annual event called the Brass Monkey Rally which is held in Otago in mid winter. Go to http://brassmonkeyrally.org.nz.

ahutchen: Feel free to drop me a line or give me a call 021 322 718. I'm always keen to meet up for a ride.

Hi KiwiPhil,
I will be on the south Island for a few days in late jan. My email is tiger_moth@hotmail.com. Can't send you a pm on this board for some reason. I have a yellow/black 1200GS but am renting a 650 GS for my tour in NZ.

Hi Marty,

noting your e-mail address I wonder if you were at Woburn Abbey a couple of weeks ago or the DH Moth fly in? It was a wonderful day.

Regards

Reggie (AKA The Cameraman)

Would have loved being there. Owned and flew ex-RAF DE-664 for many happy hours. Visited the old DH factory in the mid 70's in order to purchase bits for the restoration. The Tiger and Chipmunk are my two favorite flying machines.

Cheers.

Back
Top Bottom