Innovation rewarded with record sales

Dutchman

Reaction score
From BMW Press Club Friday 3rd September 2004

In the six months it has been on sale, the BMW R1200 GS has rocketed to the top of the sales charts. So far, this year, it is the best selling motorcycle over 1000cc in the United Kingdom and is also the best selling machine by a considerable margin in the Adventure Sport category.

The R1200 GS was launched to universal press acclaim earlier this year and has been on sale in BMW Motorrad dealerships since mid-March. Weighing only 199kg (dry) it is 30kgs lighter than its predecessor (the R1150 GS) and has an all-new boxer engine with an improved power output of 100 bhp. There has also been an 18 per cent increase in torque.

Aimed at riders who are looking for a motorcycle that has the agility of a race replica sports bike, genuine long distance touring capability, true off-road ability and unbeatable road holding on any kind of surface, the R1200 GS has been voted 'Motorcycle of the Year' in the current issue of the American Motor Cyclist magazine.

The magazine's road testers said that: "If adventure just means going and never mind the details, nothing beats BMW's new 1200 GS. It's not a dirtbike or a sportbike or a tourer or a commuter. Born as the ultimate niche bike, the GS has evolved into the only motorcycle that does what all motorcycles used to do: just about anything you want. And that's what makes it our 2004 Motorcycle of the Year."

Additionally, the R1200 GS has set new standards for its contemporaries by winning the Gold Award at the Industrial Design Society of America's 2004 International Design Excellence Awards. The prestigious society makes the awards in recognition of excellence in industrial design from around the world.

Enormous demand and advance orders for the new model worldwide have meant that BMW Motorrad has increased production of the R1200 GS at its Berlin motorcycle plant. This will result in improved availability and delivery at the earliest opportunity for customers.

BMW Motorrad's Marketing Manager (and GS rider) Tony Jakeman commented on the success of the R1200 GS: "We're delighted with the universal acclaim bestowed on the R1200 GS since its launch," he said. "Riders are realising that there is a dynamic, agile motorcycle on which you really can 'have it all' - from twisty back lanes and dusty trails, to fast A-roads and motorways.

"The R1200 GS has also put the fun back into daily commuting and a smile on the faces of lots of new owners - many of whom are new to the BMW brand. Without doubt, the R1200 GS is a giant leap forward for all-terrain, sports motorcycling and as next year is the 25th anniversary of the genre-creating GS, who knows what is on the horizon."

For me its certainly true; It really seems to be multi-purpose, and ideal for the potholed, speed camera ladden roads of 21st Century Britain!

It really strikes me as a can do pretty much anything bike...just like its 1150 predecessor, but with more grunt :D

"...as next year is the 25th anniversary of the genre-creating GS, who knows what is on the horizon"

THIS is the part that I found interesting!!!

Emoto said:
"...as next year is the 25th anniversary of the genre-creating GS, who knows what is on the horizon"

Ghastly paintwork allied to useless extras with a premium price tag if experience is anything to go by, but then its a BMW so it should hopefully be tasteful and decent

Emoto said:

Maybe another 50cc :eek:

Alte Wolf said:
Maybe another 50cc :eek:

Naaa.......can't see that......way too expensive to tool up and do the R&D on a complete engine.......

Certainly a limited edition anniversary jobbie though........and quite possibly with a bigger tank (that they'll need to develop anyway for an upcoming 12 adv version so no extra costs to deveop it).....a more lary paint scheme maybe, a few small tweaks here and there......WP shocks or somethhing like that ...already available just bolt on in the production line.

It'll be interesting though

:D

"The R1200 GS has also put the fun back into daily commuting and a smile on the faces of lots of new owners - many of whom are new to the BMW brand. Without doubt, the R1200 GS is a giant leap forward for all-terrain, sports motorcycling and as next year is the 25th anniversary of the genre-creating GS, who knows what is on the horizon."

Gives me a real dose of the warm fuzzies.

Oh and mine arrives in ELEVEN DAYS by the way. :D

Dahoum said:
Gives me a real dose of the warm fuzzies.

Oh and mine arrives in ELEVEN DAYS by the way. :D

I hope it peforms better than the football team you support!! :D :D :D

Enjoy

Howie

Russ said:
Ghastly paintwork allied to useless extras with a premium price tag if experience is anything to go by, but then its a BMW so it should hopefully be tasteful and decent

HAHAHA! you're probaby right about the paintwork. Maybe a bright pink with lime green, or similar "german style"...

:confused:

Back
Top Bottom