Power to iPhone. Help!

Bamber

Reaction score
Hi there!

I've mounted my iPhone on the dash using a Biologic case and am using the Co-pilot app as my satnav. The only thing i have yet to do is get power to it.
Can anyone out there recommend the best/easiest way to do it?

Cheers!

Great, but please tell me, if it is wired direct to battery, is there any power draw when no accessory is plugged in? i.e. if leave bike for a long time with this connected and no accessory in it, can t drain your battery?

The quiescent current (current with nowt connected) for such devices is usually low enough to be ignored (if it's a quality product).

However, as its for low current application why not take it off a Canbus controlled circuit such as the aux power socket. That way it'll shut down when the ignition goes off.

Got ya, I have a fuseblock connected that way. But was hoping to have use this as a live power feed as sometimes you want to use power without bike on - and canbus powers down so fast it doesn't help. So looking for the option, without the worry...if that makes sense? Primarily looking to power an old i pod, so options are usb/power lead to ipod dock connector, ipod dock connector to the usb lead (more options this way but more wires!) I already have 1 usb mount for phone on dash, looking at options for ipod/other now)

Hi there!

I've mounted my iPhone on the dash using a Biologic case and am using the Co-pilot app as my satnav. The only thing i have yet to do is get power to it.

Cheers!

Ultimate addons waterproof case and power and fuse converter to battery been on bike for 2 years

I put a Burnsmoto weatherproof USB socket on my bike hardwired onto the battery and its been faultless so far.

Also very handy for charging your phone up when you get to the campsite.

I cable tied it onto the headstock and its been VERY secure and not moved at all after a recommendation from someone on here who went round Morocco with it like that.

That's the same power supply I have on the bike for the iPhone has worked a treat for a few years:thumb

But for charging the iPhone while camping I have a waterproof 12 v socket connected straight to the battery (via a fuse) mounted just under the seat area and use a long lead ,
The socket is also handy for charging the battery and using a mini compressor :thumb

Are you sure it will work?

Hi there!

Cheers!

Yes, it will work, but for how long in satnav mode whilst in the case?
TomTom app, after around 30 mins you could fry eggs on the phone, and, if there is no airflow round it, it cuts out on overheat.
Myke

Overheating

I have an ultimate addons case and use Navfree app. Its very good (I'd say as good as Garmin or Tom Tom but free).

Although it gets hot I've never had it cut out. Inevitably the battery is drained or I get to my destination before it gets that hot.

I'm woundering how to power mine the same. I have a 12v super seal hard wired and fused to the battery or there's the spare canbus by the headstock. I'd like to keep the hard wire for heated kit as it'll accept the draw so am probably going to go for the can bus to a waterproof socket.

Back
Top Bottom