Currently ride a Hayabusa, but would like an R1200RT.

Shipwreck

Reaction score
Hi Guys, New to the Forum. I currently ride a Suzuki Hayabusa 2008 model. while the bike is great, I have found that I am doing more and more longer trips with the other half onboard and all tha this entails (luggage, comfort etc) it has been found wanting. I get fatigued at the front end, mainly with weight all on the wrists. While the Mrs is not too comfy at the rear. The bike is a hoot for shorter trips and sweeping a and b roads, but I intend doing more trips abroad like I did last year on the busa and would like a more practical bike this task.

My shortlist is down to the BMW R1200RT and the R1200GS. A friend of mine has the GS and I have taken a spin on his bike on a couple of occasions. It definitely has the grunt and will keep up with most other bikes up to 70mph or there about. So cannot fault it there and it appears to be comfortable. Yet to take the RT for test ride. Just thought that I would seek the impartial wisdom of you guys as to which Bike s best suits my needs. I must admit I am leaning more towards the RT, based on the logic that I would be doing more miles on the road and every review I read about the bike rates it the best touring bike out there. I await your thoughts and experiences with either bike with anticipation.

I have a 2005 1200GS and a 2010 1200RT. Not what you wanted to hear, I know:D Do you know what model year you will be looking at when you buy?

From 2010 the GS and RT got the newer twin cam engine which is an improvement on earlier models, though not a quantum leap as some seem to think. The RT is better value in terms of standard equipment. For example if you were comparing new then a 1200RT SE comes as standard with ABS,panniers, heated grips, ESA, cruise control, heated seats, onboard computer, chrome exhaust and electric screen. Price of the RT on the road is £13655.

A standard 1200GS lists at £10550. To add ABS, ESA, panniers, heated grips and the onboard computer would cost £1060 for the premium package (ESA, heated grips, OBC + chrome exhaust and LED indicators) and £990 for the ABS. The panniers are about £550 for the vario panniers if memory serves me correct. That's £2600 on top of the list price bringing it up to £13150.

Heated seats and cruise control are not available as options on the GS. You also get the full fairing on the RT. The RT has a 25 litre fuel tank against 20 for the GS and the RT is also more economical than the GS. If you were to compare the price of the adventure model against the RT then add another £1050 on to the list price of the GS.

My 2p, i found a 2008 1200rt bland and lacked charachter, 2010 gsa superb, did ride a 2010 rt prior to purchasing my 08 and there was not that more difference, personally i would go down the gs route:thumb

The K1200GT \ K1300GT would be close to the Busa for performance, exitement and handling plenty around and not much difference between the 12 and 13
Loads of comfort and luggage

The K1200GT \ K1300GT would be close to the Busa for performance, exitement and handling plenty around and not much difference between the 12 and 13
Loads of comfort and luggage

The handling of the K12/1300GT is like a barge and wouldn't be anywhere near the 'Busa in that respect, though I don't disagree with the grunt. The new K1600GT handles a lot better than the 12/1300GT's.

Great handling, even two-up :D

s_t04_18034316.jpg

I had an R/T yesterday as a loaner while mine was in for it 12k service. While I found the R/T quick, the riding position was like being fetal position. I'm sure it would improve with time my comfort level with the bike but I felt a bit like being on a space ship. To be fair the bike was a bit high for me as I have a low seat on my G/S. I can take the corners much quicker on my GS. I did like the motorised screen though on the R/T. I was glad that I got my tractor back. While the GS ain't pretty the R/T is butt f*ck ugly. I also didn't like the where the mirrors were located. What's the point looking at my hands? Different strokes for different folks but just opinion.

My 2p, i found a 2008 1200rt bland and lacked charachter, 2010 gsa superb, did ride a 2010 rt prior to purchasing my 08 and there was not that more difference, personally i would go down the gs route:thumb

I will need to ride the RT to get a feel for what it is like. I know the GS well, as mate of mine has one. Going from sports bike to a GS is like moving from a car to driving a truck, you see a lot more of the road but you still have decent performance. Like you say it is down to personal preference.

I have a 2005 1200GS and a 2010 1200RT. Not what you wanted to hear, I know:D Do you know what model year you will be looking at when you buy?

From 2010 the GS and RT got the newer twin cam engine which is an improvement on earlier models, though not a quantum leap as some seem to think. The RT is better value in terms of standard equipment. For example if you were comparing new then a 1200RT SE comes as standard with ABS,panniers, heated grips, ESA, cruise control, heated seats, onboard computer, chrome exhaust and electric screen. Price of the RT on the road is £13655.

A standard 1200GS lists at £10550. To add ABS, ESA, panniers, heated grips and the onboard computer would cost £1060 for the premium package (ESA, heated grips, OBC + chrome exhaust and LED indicators) and £990 for the ABS. The panniers are about £550 for the vario panniers if memory serves me correct. That's £2600 on top of the list price bringing it up to £13150.

Heated seats and cruise control are not available as options on the GS. You also get the full fairing on the RT. The RT has a 25 litre fuel tank against 20 for the GS and the RT is also more economical than the GS. If you were to compare the price of the adventure model against the RT then add another £1050 on to the list price of the GS.

I would definitely be the new DOHC model. A friend has just traded his 2005 GS for the triple black DOHC model. He says there is definite marked improvement in acceleration and grunt. Agree, if I went for the RT it would defo be the SE version.:beerjug:

I switched from ZZR1400 to GS for similar reasons (plus it was hard to keep it below 100mph)

Find the GS works very well, handling is very decent (even better with Wilburs Suspension and Roadsmarts fitted) and I like the whole quirky feel of the bike.

I really could not see this engine being good in a tourer, as it goes from quirky to a touring bike that is underpowered and vibtrates like a f***d washing machine - but I have never ridden a road based BMW with such an engine so am probably talking bollox - just not my cup of tea.

I think test rides will hold the key, but do not rule out the GS because you do not intend riding off-road, the position is very comfy and the bike works very well on all roads / road surfaces and since buying mine I have been discovering more and more nadgery B-Roads and unclassified roads, they would be horrible on any sports / sport touring bike, but are a joy on the GS and tend to be pretty traffic free.

Good luck

I really could not see this engine being good in a tourer, as it goes from quirky to a touring bike that is underpowered and vibtrates like a f***d washing machine - but I have never ridden a road based BMW with such an engine so am probably talking bollox

You are, as usual :rolleyes: :D

If you test an RT just make sure you do a good distance and try it in lots of different environments. Personally, I find the RT soulless
and too tutonic. Just my view!:D

I really could not see this engine being good in a tourer, as it goes from quirky to a touring bike that is underpowered and vibtrates like a f***d washing machine - but I have never ridden a road based BMW with such an engine so am probably talking bollox - just not my cup of tea.

Yes, I would agree with the bold highlights. Go and ride one first to see how the bike performs.

Thanks for all the advice guys. I will keep you posted. The Mrs is not happy with me wanting to part with the Busa. Not read for the pipe and slippers yet. But I know when I did a 1500 mile trip across Belgium and Germany last year, the weight was all on the wrists and that was just my carcass on the bike.Especially coming down the steep hairpin bends. Though the B500 was a hoot. With a pillion on board the extra weight magnifies the issue. If I could I would keep the Busa and buy a nother, as yet undecided bike. I will keep you posted. :beerjug:

Back
Top Bottom