Running in

Capsize

I have to admit that with previous bikes I have not paid too much attention to running in. Just tried to give plenty of rev variety for around 1K miles and avoided redline revs. This is an approach that is even advocated by some - witness the Hawk ZX10's, raced straight from the crate and reports suggest almost no engine problems.

However, the big BMW maybe requires just a touch more sublety. I have been told to watch the oil level and to expect some blue smoke on start up but would rather that I did whats needed to make this stop at some point - rather than getting ever worse.

So,

What ways have you used to 'run in' your GS - and why?

Hi if in doubt read the book! use roads that are hilly with plenty on twists keep the revs below 4000 miles for the first 600 then 5000 revs up to 1200 miles. if this is what BMW tells you why trust anyone else. Regards Mike

Yep - read the book and thats what the dealer said too.

But - the book is set out to protect BMW as well as provide instruction.

So what I am asking is in the real world has anyone found anything else that works and is maybe better - only for those prepared to give it a go, obviously.

Hi Capsize,

on on old R1100S the mechanic suggested not to be too gentle with the running in period. OK keep to the rev limits but use hilly twisty road and make progress. This I did and everyone who rode the bike said that it was the smoothest running and quickest R1100S that they'd tried.

So with my R1200GS I stuck to the first 600 limits and was gentle with the throttle. After the 600 service I started to open things up a little and now with nearly 2000 miles on the clock I'd suggest that the tickover's pretty smooth and the engine feels to be bedding in nicely.

Regards

Reggie AKA The Cameraman

Running-In Links

Hi All, I haven't been on board for a while as I've been busy doing the Sydney to London move. Given my impending order, I've also been wondering about running-in. Here's a couple of links, the first of which has appeared in the forums before:

http://www.mototuneusa.com/break_in_secrets.htm

http://www.ntnoa.org/enginebreakin.htm

I'll order my 1200GS as soon as I get back from drooling at Intermot in a few weeks time and will probably be looking at February or April delivery - can't wait! In the mean-time, I'd appreciate the advice of those that have gone before me.

I ran mine in fairly "firmly". I wasn't overly anal in keeping to the prescribed rev limit, as the odd burst over that limit is a good thing in my view. Also, I wasn't shy with giving it full throttle.

I ran my Aprilia RSV in "by the book" but it used loads of oil for the first 15k miles due to it having been run in "too gently" according to my knowledgeable Aprilia mechanic.

The 1200 hardly uses any oil now (5k miles), and certainly much less than my 1150.

Ran mine like the book said....for 100 miles and it didnt blow up..... so then I rode it like I stole it. :D
7,000 miles and runs like a dream...and has stopped using oil. :D
It has 2 years warranty so I,ve decided its the guys at BMW who need to worry, not me:p

Ya see, now this is the justification that I was looking for.

I shall now proceed to follow the 'ring the nutz' procedure, safe in the knowledge that I can blame:

Reggie and Tobers and Panzer and Austeve's links and - well anyone but me really if it should by some chance destroy itself during the process.

Sincere thanks to you all. :D

Ran mine in with a track day after the 600 mile service!

Was not overly careful before 600 miles, just did not labour it or keep it at constant engine speed for extended periods.

I can feel the extra power coming in as everything beds in!

Remus melted the number plate -- specify metal plate if you have the full system

Quentin

Warmed it up until the odometer read 4 miles, then thrashed it for at least ten miles keeping it near the rev limiter the whole time, then did about 100 miles of hilly twisty b-roads at normal (read up to 5,000-5,500 rpm 'ish) revs, with lots of over-run to let the compression push the rings firmly against the bores.

Only done 150 miles so far, but hasn't used a drop of oil or missed a beat despite the firm use. Will add a further 450 miles of mid-range use this weekend and get it serviced on Monday. After that I'll just ride it as intended.

I firmly believe that warming an engine up on it's stand, thrashing it from cold and generally treating it too gently once at normal operating temperature are all really bad for the engine. Still, you paid for yours so do with it what you will!:p

running in

I work in a dealers and our GS1200 demonstrator was thrashed from day one, has had in excess of 200 people test ride it, and has now done 6000 trouble free miles. Fuel and oil consumption have got better and better, and it has suffered no 'running problems' whatsoever.

When I get mine I will be very careful for the first 100 miles but then as long as the engine is at operating temperature I will not worry too much about the 4000rpm limit. Personally I believe running any bike in too carefully is a recipe for future problems and high oil consumption.:beerjug:

Re: running in

HOOVE said:
I work in a dealers and our GS1200 demonstrator was thrashed from day one, has had in excess of 200 people test ride it, and has now done 6000 trouble free miles. . Personally I believe running any bike in too carefully is a recipe for future problems and high oil consumption.:beerjug:

Hoove, boy am I glad to see that - picked mine up on Saturday and as soon as it was warm used it like "properly".
300 miles yesterday using all the throttle range except I didn't actually get to the rev limiter.
This morning I had an attack of the conscience and started worrying that I've been a silly boy and it's going to break!
P

Personally I feel (without any hard evidence to back it up) that "using the whole throttle range" is more important to running in than redlining the engine.

From what I've read around this subject, the idea is to force the rings against the bore using the gas pressure that results from a wide open throttle. As long as the engine is revving freely (not labouring) I don't think being near the red line will have any extra benefit.

But like I say, that's just my theory.

Back
Top Bottom