Poland question

Zundapp

Reaction score
Anyone have an opinion on whether Sczcecin (Stettin) is worth a two nights visit?

Or is somewhere else within say 100 miles in Poland a better bet? Next stop will be Berlin.

I've stayed up in Usedom, little island on the coast between germany and poland. It's nice we went past Schwerin and to be honest it's all interesting depends what your looking for or to do.... we went up to the coast and along all good in my opinion, more police cars than I expected...:blast

Thanks Mike, checked with Hotel Hubertus but they're booked up for when we'll be in the area.

Lo-IQ - we intended having a look around the Usedom area as we run up the Baltic coast, and having already visited the Lubeck and Travemunde area, it does all look interesting, (why we're going back of course!).

All that's booked are the Newcastle ferry dates, two nights in Hamburg:beerjug: and two nights in Berlin.:friday The rest we'll find as we go. Hope the weather's good...:bounce1

Hi,

If you find the time you should´nt take the A24 between Hamburg and Berlin.
Take the B5(watch the speed cameras) probably you could take the beautiful roads along the Elbe between Doemitz and Wittenberge.
Which time you are in this area?

mike

Hi Mike,
Our rough outline plan is to get off the ferry at Ijmuiden and travel to around Groningen in northern Holland, then to Hamburg, follow the Baltic coast towards Stralsund area, into Poland towards Gdansk, then Berlin, next possibly Wernigerode in the Harz mountains and then to where my son lives near Hameln for a few days. Nothing booked except two nights in both Hamburg and Berlin, so hopefully it should leave enough flexibility to stay longer anywhere we fancy.

When we're in Hamburg I'll check the weather forecast, and if it looks pish at the seaside we'll maybe go Hamburg - Fuerstenberg - Poland if that looks a better option. We'll see!

I intend to only ride 4 hours/200 miles in any day - all the time avoiding Snellweg/Autobahn and whatever it is in Polish...:thumb2

if your going the chap we stayed with neighbour runs a B+B

www.decke.auf-usedom.info

they don't speak english but I can call'em to explain what you want and if the can help.

We also stayed in the Hotel Zur Post it's a spa Hotel really nice and the kaisers Hotel is older and right on the seafront...

it's got very nice west pommerrainain features if your into architecture...:blast

the border between Basin and Poland should now be open so you can ride along the coast road into Poland direction Kotobzreg (Kaiserberg?)... there's more Spa type towns further along that coast the whole place was empty when I was there.

The only thing is be careful sand gets blonw onto the coast road and it's like riding over marbles....:eek:

Thanks for the link Lo-IQ - I can speak just enough dreadful German with a Scottish accent to get by and I can read it reasonably, so I'll take a copy of Herr Decke's contact details in my tank-bag.

I'd already looked at the Hotel Zur Post and marked it on my list, but the Kaiser Willhelm hotel looks interesting...

I don't really want to book in advance any accommodation (except Hamburg and Berlin - cos I was worried I wouldn't get anything central on the day) but everywhere else is less stressful! I hope... :D

Mind you, my Polish is non-existent, so that might be interesting.

"zur post" will take walk in bookings, and they have some really small rooms which are ok... and reasonable in cost....plus it's got a nice underground garage....:thumb2

Klaus and his wife Christel? (mrs decke) don't do walk in bookings being german.... and very straightforward....

there's loads of bars near the seafront which are okay, you'll draw a crowd cos the whole place is full of germans who'll thing your from another planet or they don't get out much. The border was shut when I was there and I got lost in the woods on the bike and had the polish border guards laughing their arses off... with my rather crap explaination that I was lost...in very polite german...

"Ich entschuldige mich sehr Oberst aber als Ich drive up this scheisse strasse und hab ich kein anung wo ich war aber nun bin ich hier!"...:blast

I would say Szczecin is probably not worth 2 nights visit unless you know someone to show you around. I would go north to Swinoujscie and simply stay on the coast the next day. The seaside is nicer and more friendly than the German part in this area...and the bars don't play the awful German folk music!

You can also consider Miedzyzdroje or Kolobrzeg (a bit further and mentioned earlier). Remember Swinoujscie is on the island so you either take a ferry (free) or approach it from German side (watch out for speed cameras).

the whole of that coast is brill...:thumb2 however you can't avoid dieter and klaus folk music....

just think shit 60's- 70's - 80's music being murdered by germans..... with mullets and leather waist coats....:eek:

Thanks for the info baMarek, I think that's what we'll do. Staying a couple of days on the coast sounds more like a holiday, especially when the next stop will be two nights in Berlin!

And yes, I've experienced German schlager music before...:eek They're right into that stuff.

Back
Top Bottom