S1000RR

Hongkongphooey

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Hi chaps,

Anyone else here have a one? I had a bit of a problem with mine the other day and has now been recovered to the dealer.

Just wondered if anyone had experienced any bother with theirs? Mine just cut out dead at very high speed :eek:

Anyone else?

Cheers

Phooey

I have one - no probs so far in 2K miles. Tell me more :confused:

I had one , now sold and replaced with a Defender 90 :) and a new RT

Mine was a March 2010 version (so the first ones) and I had no issues in 6000miles.

Pop onto www.s1000rrforum.com as that seems to be the most lively forum.

Stu

Not majorly worried, but could have been worse if I was on a different road I guess. Nailed it on an empty (private obviously) road from 1st through to 4th, using the quick shifter, full trottle all the way through, just selected 5th and the engine died instantly.

Thankfully a diet of stink wheels in my youth had the clutch whipped in faster than the quick shifter works :D,
But the back wheel didn't lock. In fact tried bumping it all the way down the gears, but nothing. Pulled over to the verge, battery was as dead as a dead thing.

SO..........what caused the battery to die and at full chat too?

2010 model sport, full BMW service history and 12,000 miles.

???????? Puzzling. Dealer said they need to put a new batter on to diagnose whats been happening.

Will do mate, just got a call today to say the new battery had arrived, so at least they can start it and run fault diagnosis now, there's no money in warranty work, so I could be sceptical and say there may be a bit of a wait at this time of year :rolleyes:

Real shame, as the tarmacs melting and I'm gagging to get out on it.

Phooey. :thumb2

A quick update, dealers had it over a week now and can't figure out what's wrong. Neither can they tell me when it looks like it can be fixed. So it's summer and again I find myself without a bike. Last year KTM managed to Bugger my summer, this year looks like BMW's going to have a go. Think I'll go jap next year.

I'll post more when I know.

After a couple of calls to BMW customer service and BMW assist, I finally got a call back from the dealer at 530pm.

Errrrmmm it's very dry on the bottom end. We think it's seized the bottom end. :eek:

WTF!!!!

They've reported the findings to BMW technical and I was told that nothing like this has ever happened before. So I said I'd read of it happening to a chap in the states who had his own engine replaced because of a seized engine. Oh and didn't they change the crank on the 2011 spec engines?

Ah well, let's hope what ever happens, it's quick and I don't get dry bum f@cked.
:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

Last edited:
I know of another one at least that had "issues"

That was with Williams for at least a month and had a new engine..

My tyre guy reckons his is getting noisy and is about to go kaput...

In fact.. I know of one more.. His is fine..

So there's some heresay to prove they're rubbish! :thumb:thumb:thumb

Hmmmm, if it's rattling like an old 80's Honda on start up, then I'd tell him to start crossing his fingers as that's what mine did. I just put it down to tight tollerances/thin oil on start up.

Have to wait and see what they say, my only worry is that I bought it privatey, not BMW approved used. Shouldn't make a difference, but I have an uneasy feeling at the moment.

hold tight - remember on a GS forum its always doom and gloom when it comes to reliability issues :D

A quick update for those that are interested. Just found out today that BMW Technic have authorised a complete new engine. It's been ordered from Germany, will take around a week and it's been booked in for 4 days to fit. Ok, so by the time I get it back I've missed around 6-7 weeks of summer, but better than many of the alternatives.

All in all, took a while, but faith restored in BMW and a massive thanks to Chester Motorrad. Will update some more when I get more news. :friday

Phooey.

Back
Top Bottom