Another new member

HOOVE

Hello fellow GS'ers - I am a new member with a GS1200 on order even though I work in the motorcycle industry and get the use of a COMPANY BIKE f.o.c !!!

I've been into bikes since 1979 and will admit to owning amongst others a KH250 Kawasaki. Through my current job I have ridden most of the current BMW range (apart from the hilarious cruiser range - too embarrassing!) and there is nothing to touch the new GS 12 as an all rounder. I can confirm they will do 138mph even with a fat b*stard like me on board, and will frighten the crap out of most sports bikes on the right road.

As I work in the retail side of the bike industry I look forward to being able to share info and opinion with other GS'ers from a dealers perspective.

Cheers for now

The Hoove
:beerjug:

HOOVE said:

As I work in the retail side of the bike industry I look forward to being able to share info and opinion with other GS'ers from a dealers perspective.

Cheers for now

The Hoove
:beerjug:

Like have you a got a Glass's bike price guide to hand and can tell me how much my VFR is worth?:D :D :D

Welcome to the club, looking forward to my 1200 too, only 5 more weeks to go!:beerjug:

your VFR

I could give you the Glasses Guide figure but that doesn't neccessarily mean the bike is worth that figure in the trade. A few of our regular trade buyers are already saying they wont underwrite any more bikes as their showrooms are stuffed! VFR's are generally good news, although surprisingly the VTEC versions are not liked as much.

Give me the age and plate, mileage, service history and general condition and I'll come back with the book figure for you.

Cheers

Hoove

Re: your VFR

HOOVE said:
I could give you the Glasses Guide figure but that doesn't neccessarily mean the bike is worth that figure in the trade. A few of our regular trade buyers are already saying they wont underwrite any more bikes as their showrooms are stuffed! VFR's are generally good news, although surprisingly the VTEC versions are not liked as much.

Give me the age and plate, mileage, service history and general condition and I'll come back with the book figure for you.

Cheers

Hoove

You sir are a gentleman :beerjug: :beerjug:

2003 (03) VTEC (April 03), ABS, heated grips, 14.5K miles, FHSH, excellent condition.

I need to sell it to pay for the GS, but i need to get my price realistic. It also has race cans, powercommander and a few other mods, but i don't believe these provide any extra value for trade-in so are not worth mentioning. A trade-in price, and a suggested (not that i'm going to hold you to it ;)) private price would be appreciated :)

Of course if you know someone who may be interested i'm sure we can come to some arrangement as sticking it in Biketrader et al. will cost me a good few quid IYKWIM ;)

Hi Hoove,
Do you know if there will be any special editions of the 1200 GS next year to celebrate the 25th anniversary of the GS genre? I'll be keeping my 1200 GS for quite a while and I like the idea of having something a little rarer than usual.

I'm looking to order my 1200 GS in the New Year and I've been told by my dealer that BMW may change the colours that are available. Let's hope so, I don't like the current selection and I am investigating the possibility of a respray before the bike is even registered!

VFR Value

The book figures are based on a standard bike having done just 4000 miles:

Dealer retail selling price - £6525
Dealer trade price - £5200

With yours having done 3.5 times the book mileage these figures should be reduced by at least £1200 and the original pipes should be refitted as neither dealers or Joe Public like them on VFR's.

If you were going to try and sell privately via MCN, I would try £4995

As a general rule, valuations of used bikes are dictated by how cheap you can buy a new one, and not manufacturers list prices. Most Japanese bikes are discounted to death and if you want to know what your shiny new Yamasakionda will be worth in a years time, just look at what the big discounters are knocking them out for and deduct £2000!

Hope this has been of some help and not depressed you too much!

Cheers

The Hoove

So i'd be better off turning it back to standard and flogging all the extra bits seperately?

Thanks for your input :)

i owe you a :beerjug: or 2

Sounds like your gonna be a busy member Hoove!

Welcome to the hilarious world of UKGSER/GS Club:beerjug:

GS 1200 Special Editions?

Hi Rob

No word whatsoever from BMW on any Special Edition GS's for 2005 or new colours, but to be fair they are pretty good at keeping that kind of information totally confidential from the dealer network until they are ready to announce it themselves.

They know we cant be trusted not to tell everyone!

There will be two further new model launches in 2005, but the exact models are not confirmed yet, but my money is firmly on a 1200 RT.

Regards

Hoove

Most Japanese bikes are discounted to death and if you want to know what your shiny new Yamasakionda will be worth in a years time, just look at what the big discounters are knocking them out for and deduct £2000!

So, going by this my 20 month old Kawasaki ER -5 with 30,000 miles is actually worth less than nothing :mad:
Dec 2002 I paid £3095 after discount. Add in lots of mileage and I may have to pay someone to take it away. Hmmm....perhaps I ought to hang onto it to keep the GS company in the garage. It's a weak excuse but a spare bike may be handy one day :p

Hi Hoove,

Thanks for the reply on the Running-in thread, great to hear from someone in the industry. I was just wondering when the BMW model year changes over? In other words, when will they announce the 2005 model range - including colour, etc. I'm also very interested in what they might do for the anniversary as I'm about to order my 1200GS for April delivery. I think this forum will owe you many beers in a very short time.

Cheers, AusSteve :beerjug:

2005 model year

AusSteve said:
Hi Hoove,

Thanks for the reply on the Running-in thread, great to hear from someone in the industry. I was just wondering when the BMW model year changes over? In other words, when will they announce the 2005 model range - including colour, etc. I'm also very interested in what they might do for the anniversary as I'm about to order my 1200GS for April delivery. I think this forum will owe you many beers in a very short time.

Cheers, AusSteve :beerjug:

Hi Steve

Here in the UK and Europe 2005 model year changes are usually announced around November in time for the UK Motorcycle show

Regards

Hoove

Thanks Hoove, the advice is most appreciated.
Cheers,
Steve

Re: 2005 model year

HOOVE said:
Hi Steve

Here in the UK and Europe 2005 model year changes are usually announced around November in time for the UK Motorcycle show

Regards

Hoove

Close, but no cigar,

Model years commence from when the factory return from thier Summer Closure in August, although this year the Berlin factory did produce bikes during August to help reduce the world wide demand for the R1200GS and start full production of the K1200S

So 2005 production started in September '04, '06 production will start Sept '05 etc etc. Having said that, BMW will also introduce changes or tweaks to series production rather than wait for a new model year.

It would also be nice to think the the NEC show is considered a major launch platform, but Intermot or Milan would always be the preferred venue for such an event due to the world wide press interest these shows pull.

Hoove, glad to see another dealer on the website, wouldn't be from NOG would you?

Intermot

Thanks for the further info PL1. As I'm going to Intermot, my fingers are crossed for BMW revealing more there. We know the K1200S will be there, not sure what else, maybe R1200RT, perhaps new colours for the 1200GS... not long now!
Cheers, Steve

If you can read german....

(BMW press release)

Neue Sonderausstattungen und Farben.

Zum Modelljahr 2005 werden einige Modellpflegemaßnahmen in das BMW Motorrad Programm einfließen. Die neuen Sonderausstattungen und Farben können ab sofort bei allen BMW Motorrad Händlern bestellt werden.

Neue Sonderausstattungen und Modellpflegemaßnahmen:
F 650 GS und F 650 CS
Diebstahlwarnanlage als Sonderausstattung

F 650 GS Dakar
breite Fußrasten im Serienumfang

R 850 R und R 1150 R

R 1150 R Rockster

R 1150 GS Adventure

R 1200 GS
niedrige Sitzbank (810 mm) als Sonderausstattung
weiße Blinker als Sonderausstattung

K 1200 GT
serienmäßig Außentemperaturanzeige im Bordcomputer enthalten

Neue Farben:
K 1200 GT
titansilber-metallic (ersetzt graugrün-metallic)

R 850 R und R 1150 R
granitgrau-metallic mit Sitzbank bronzitbeige (Sitzbank schwarz als Sonderausstattung) tiefblau-metallic mit Sitzbank schwarz (Sitzbank bronzitbeige als Sonderausstattung) (titansilber und nachtschwarz entfallen)

R 1100 S
titansilber-metallic/alpinweiß uni (ersetzt mandarin/titangrau –metallic, piemontrot-metallic enfällt)

Back
Top Bottom