Kawasaki GT550 G Series 1989 ? where is the air filter?

Robbo1200ADV

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
I am looking after my lads GT550 and Cant find where the airfilter access is ? Took the side panels off no access any one had one / a diagram of where it is? The haynes says remove the filter ,no more than that!! Cheers in anticipation. it looks like this:thumb2

Attachments

• filter.jpg
    filter.jpg
    2.6 KB · Views: 1,321
Ohhhhh.... the silencer is contected to the headerrrr.... the header is connected to the cylinderrrr head..... the cylinder head is connected to the inlet manifolddddd...... the inlet manifold is cxonnected to the carbbbbbeeeee...... the carb is connected to the.........airbox...... inside the airbox is the ?????:rolleyes:

I owned and despatched one of these nearly 20 years ago... after 50,000 miles the bike just wears out. Carb Diaphragms, coil(s), CDI unit, lipped brake discs. Still, got to know the owner and staff at Chasbikes and then bough a Revere.

Sorry, doesn't help much

I owned and despatched one of these nearly 20 years ago... after 50,000 miles the bike just wears out. Carb Diaphragms, coil(s), CDI unit, lipped brake discs. Still, got to know the owner and staff at Chasbikes and then bough a Revere.

Sorry, doesn't help much

You owned and despatched one and you don`t know where the air filter is:eek:

This looks like the air box, if that is any help.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Kawasaki-GT550-GPZ550-Air-Filter-Box-Filter-Assy-Rr-/330405492617
If it isn`t accessed via side panels it must be under the seat I would presume:nenau

Thanks Mark ,.I looked under the seat and there is an air intake but not like the one I have bought,:blast Looks like I'll have to quote the chassis No to a Kawasaki dealer and get the right part,I know where it is its getting to it!! Cheers anyway chaps:thumb2

Alas, my memory has faded... I think it slides in from the side and one the access cover screws might be a little recessed. However, the inlet rubbers bake hard, crack, leak and add to the lumpy running. The clutch cable has a daft routing and needs regular oiling. I could go on but I was so glad to see the back of it after 93000 miles...

The Horn/Flasher assembly catches fire too.... Well my one did :blast.....

better than my Suzuki GS850G then. :rolleyes:
when water got in to the switch, you'd end up with a set of disco lights :blast
the indicators, hi/low and horn all taking it in turns to flash and bleep - confusing the feck out of surrounding traffic :pullface
and leaving me thumping the left hand 'bar to try an get it to stop! :D

I had a bad experience with one of these as well. It turned out (when Kawasaki admitted it years later) that on one of the model upgrades (G6 to G7 ?) the new carbs were all set up wrong. Result... after 3000 miles of running weak the exhaust valves were all burnt and needed replacing. I traded it in shortly afterwards for a GT750.

GT550.jpg

Peter

I had a bad experience with one of these as well. It turned out (when Kawasaki admitted it years later) that on one of the model upgrades (G6 to G7 ?) the new carbs were all set up wrong. Result... after 3000 miles of running weak the exhaust valves were all burnt and needed replacing. I traded it in shortly afterwards for a GT750.

Peter

that showed 'em :blast

Back
Top Bottom