West coast road trip Advise

richard polley

Reaction score
Work has agreed to give me 5 weeks off at very short notice 24th Augusthttp://www.ukgser.com/forums/images/smilies/smile.gif

Travel insurance booked

Flights booked

Bike rental nearly sorted

Route 1 San Francisco to Seattle Rocky Mountains ,Zion,Bryce Canyon Canyon de Chelly, kings canyon Yosemite . Any other suggestions.

I would like to camp most of the way and take back roads were possible
Do you have any recommendations for Rental 1200 GS if possible,
Camping info cheap hotels
and great routes I should not miss.
Has anybody had experience of advtouring.com

Trip of a life time not much time to plan but will take it as it comes will try and attempt a trip report.

Help greatly appreciated Richard.

R1200GS rental - www.dubbelju.com E-mail Cherie and tell her what you need.

Canyon de Chelly - on the basis of my experience, I'd avoid it; there are more interesting places in Arizona, including the North Rim of the Grand Canyon.

Ride some of the Sierra passes - Sonora Pass, Monitor Pass, Hwy 89 to the Mormon Emigrant Trail, taking you toPollock Pines, then up Hwy 50 to Ice House Road & Wentworth Springs Road into Georgetown -

http://www.californiatravelexpert.com/Georgetown_California.shtml

If you can fit in a trip to Death Valley and then Las Vegas you could then ride to LA and back up Hwy 1 to San Francisco.

Actually, there's far too much to put in a post, or even a thread but you might also want to take in some of the San Francisco Bay Area's finest goat tracks - Tunitas Creek Road, Ice Cream Grade, China Grade, Stage Road and ride up Mt Hamilton to the Observatory then take Del Puerto Canyon Road out to Paterson and Mines Road back to Livermore.

You might want to join, or at the very lurk on BARF - http://www.bayarearidersforum.com/forums/ and Pashnit - http://www.pashnit.com/forum/index.php

Oh and go up to Alice's Restaurant on Skyline Blvd for lunch. Go on a Friday when lots of the Apple Corp. motorcyclists are there. If you see an Irish guy on a silver '07 GS, say "Hi Jack..!".....:aidan

Schtum is right Richard all bar the Canyon de Chelley. It's a Navajo spiritual canyon and stunningly beautiful. Ride along the southern Rim and you will find the walk down to the canyon bottom and the 1000 year old paintings:thumb

If you run up the coast toward's Seattle, you have the Giant Redwoods in Northern California. Mount St Helens just East of Portland is worth a visit and then ride across to Yellowstone through Oregon and Idaho. If you have time, you can get across to Mount Rushmore.

You can drop down to Colorado and ride some awesome routes down through the Rockies and Moab. From there you can do Chelley, Monument Valley and then across to the Northern Rim of the Grand Canyon then Bryce and Zion. Bryce is simply gorgeous but watch the mormons don't convert you:augie.

Then you can get across to Yosemite and Kings Canyon via Death Valley. Schtum mentioned Sonora Pass which is awesome. There is also an old gold mining town there called Bodie. Well worth a visit. I like to go through Sequioa National Forest as well and then if you go across to LA, take Hwy 2 which is called Skyline (I think) and runs across the north side of LA and is a glorious ride. Just to be different, I wouldn't bother with LA or running the PCH to SF because north of SF is better. Instead, run inland from a town called Ojai on the 33 which is a great ride and stunning scenery. Go all the way up past the oilfields and turn toward the coast at a dump called Coalinga. It has one saving grace which is a great old fashioned burger bar! The 198 to King City is a brilliant road. From there, take the Carmel Valley road to Carmel. Up the coast a bit and up through teh redwoods to Skyline Blvd and Alice's.

Plenty of KOA campsites around they are cheap enough but when you get into the sticks, motels can be much the same price. No need to book ahead for rooms as long as you get into town early. Avoid the chain restaurants and eat at local cafe's. You'll get great food:thumb

My advice is to have a vague plan in your mind and see where you get. You'll find travelling on your own is a brilliant experience and the biggest issue you will have is getting away from people who just want to chat. There are back roads everywhere and buying a few good maps will give you the routes you need.:thumb

Tioga Pass [120] to Mono Lake should keep you busy for nearly a day if you stop and take photies: then head to Utah for the geology.

Don't miss Bryce NP [better than the Grand Canyon imo] and allow time for walk amongst the Hoodoo and exploring the rest of the park.

For what it's worth, I too would not detour to see Canyon De Chelley. Taken in isolation then it would have a chance to shine but along side the other NP's it does fall down somewhat. I wouldn't fancy camping too near the indian reservation either: it not exactly bison, teepee's and open fires.

Whatever way you go you can't fail to have a great time.

Tioga Pass [120] to Mono Lake should keep you busy for nearly a day if you stop and take photies: then head to Utah for the geology.

Hold your nose at Mono Lake....:eek

Don't miss Bryce NP [better than the Grand Canyon imo] and allow time for walk amongst the Hoodoo and exploring the rest of the park.

Canyonlands as well.

For what it's worth, I too would not detour to see Canyon De Chelley. Taken in isolation then it would have a chance to shine but along side the other NP's it does fall down somewhat. I wouldn't fancy camping too near the indian reservation either: it not exactly bison, teepee's and open fires.

Chinle, in particular is a complete shithole. It's actually very disappointing to see the squalor in which the Navajo live. Ironic that a people who were once so close to the land now strew it with junk.

Mesa Verde on the other hand...:thumb2 In fact, the Four Corners is all pretty amazing - follow the Green River.

It's actually very disappointing to see the squalor in which the Navajo live. Ironic that a people who were once so close to the land now strew it with junk.

I thought they had found some new wondrous way of surfacing roads with beer bottles as I entered the Res. :D

I thought they had found some new wondrous way of surfacing roads with beer bottles as I entered the Res. :D

I don't know about you, but they pointed at me and sniggered. I guess they hadn't seen my like since General Custer.....:rolleyes:

Wife and I (before we were married) did a three week trip by car around these areas. Start & finish at San Francisco.

Yellowstone certainly worth spending some time (several days) in. Look for the crowds at the side of the road as an indication of wildlife, etc. (Moose, Elk, Bison. We never saw any bears, but Yogi and his friends are there!) Old Faithful Geyser, lots of sulphur/mud ponds, fumaroles, to see, waterfalls, etc. If you want to back pack in back country, you will need a permit and take precautions against the bears, etc.

Bryce Canyon well worth the visit. We actually did an early morning helicopter trip through it when the sun was low and that highlighted the rock formations. I thought it was expensive at the time ($60/head but that was in 1987). Also lots of deer about if you drive to the canyon very early in the morning, before the hoards of tourists arrive.

Death Valley & Furnace Canyon were interesting. It was a holiday and we nearly ran out of petrol (or should I say gas!) Living on our nerves as we wouldn't want to spend the midday at the salt lake (lowest point in America) in furnace like temperatures.

Yosemite is very worth a visit and take a walk up to Twin Falls. Spectacular scenery and if you had time, a walk up Half Dome would be on my agenda (there were guide ropes, but don't do it if a thunder storm is pending, as lightning can travel down the guide ropes I understand :eek:)

Zion NP. Take a walk up the Narrows. Very impressive and the water is not too cold. Lots of signs there, that they may be inconsiderate to release a load of water upstream without notice and lead to a sudden rise in canyon water levels.

Grand Canyon (south side) was impressive, but we didn't have time for a walk to the bottom (3000 ft) or even a mule ride down. Very busy also and we had difficulty finding accommodation anywhere nearby.

Snake River Canyon if on route.

Sequoia NP as mentioned already.

Hoover Dam worth a look.

Maybe a night in Reno or Las Vegas. Food and accommodation were cheap, as they make their money from the gamblers. Maybe also take in a show there. Lots of old names appearing there regularly.

Grand Teton NP to drive through for superb scenery.

We never book accommodation and usually just drive until we find a cheap motel. Accommodation and food was certainly cheaper than that typically in Europe and the UK.

I would have liked a bit more time. Five weeks sounds pretty good. I would book accommodation for the first and last nights only. It's a PITA if you cannot find something close to the airport and have to drive miles to the next urban centre, followed by an early morning flight back.

A German friend did a two week holiday two years ago, to the States with a group of Germans (maybe 20 or so) and they hired Harley's over there and had a guide. That cost about €5k in total, but the guide and the Harley hire would be big ticket items.

Sounds like a good trip. Enjoy.

Grey Beard

Oregon is just wilderness. Avoid I5 at all costs. Mt St Helen and then Rainier. The Colombia Gorge is good too, up into Yakima and then the Scablands, before crossing to Seattle over the Cascades from Winthrop.
Don't go to Leavenworth, it's faux german and shite.
Alternatively after St Helens, head for the Olympic Peninsula for backwoods USA, take in Windy Ridge.

Look at couch surfing options too, it's a big thing in the USA.

Oregon is just wilderness.

And the problem there is?:nenau

LOADS of great trails suitable for ATV or a trailbike. What more could you ask for?

The Oregon Dunes are a fantastic play area too, and absolutely stunning....

Buy an annual park pass for $80 at the first National Park you go to - it's good at all parks and will get one vehicle in regardless of the number of people in / on the vehicle. Time saver and a money saver if you hit enough of the parks. They vary from $5 to $10 or so per person. Gramd Canyon costs a bit more.

If ya need any help with routes, let me know.

And the problem there is?:nenau

LOADS of great trails suitable for ATV or a trailbike. What more could you ask for?

The Oregon Dunes are a fantastic play area too, and absolutely stunning....

And if you're an old hippy, you'll want to visit Eugene.....
hippy.gif

And Portland is well worth a visit.

And even I-5 has its uses, especially if you need to get from Portland to San Jose in a day.....DAMHIKIJKOK. :blast

Back
Top Bottom