Cambrian Rally Update

Bob Jeffries

It's good to be back ..
UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Did the road book for the Cambrian Rally on the 4th (there are about eight 1150GS and four 950 KTM’s amongst the entry to date). The day was very misty with a light drizzle at times which made some of the muddier tracks like ice on the Tourances. I only came off 3 times, losing the front and going down to the left each time (my left arm is still very weak from my accident), and got stuck once (see picture – it’s in the middle of a 14 mile special stage timed to 1/100 sec). The route is doable on the Tourances as long as your careful but TKC80’s would be much more fun. One section is along about 2.5 miles of very green lane with a steep grassy/stony hill at one end, you go down it on the way out and up it on the way home!

I tried posing at the West End Café on the way back to the Castle Hotel in Llandovery and did see a nice shiny 1200GS go by but was too knackered to stay long, a nice hot bath and a pint (or two) was waiting in the Castle.

On Sunday a couple of club members used the road book I had compiles on Saturday to do the route in a Discovery, we got that stuck big time once and then, on the way home, had to have four goes at the hill I mentioned above but the Discovery did the whole course.

Attachments

• 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    151.1 KB · Views: 365
Hiya Bob,
Are you determined to cripple me? Have tried to download the app form but it won't open. Who do i have to write to, to get a form?
Yours still a pain in it
HENRY

Cambrian Regs

Henry

You know you'll love it!

I've emailed you the regs as a .pdf file but if you have any more problems just email me your address and I'll post a set out.

Bob.
I am one of the entries you mentioned. On a GS 1150 adv.
just a quickie, what size will the road book be?, ie A4- A5.
As i need to get a holder sorted.
Or will it be pages, like an LDT.
im looking forward to it.
Thanks for all the hard work you guys put in.
Tony Allen

Tony

You'll have a great time, even I'm looking forward to it - and I've already ridden the course.

It will be printed as two A5 sheets on each A4 piece of paper so that you can cut it up and create a roll or simply put it in a map pocket of a tank bag etc. and it’ll be sent out before the event.

If you need a special size however I can probably accommodate you - just let me know.

Cheers Bob.
I will just put the road book in a map case. And see how it goes.

Cheers,

Tony Allen.

Cambrian Road Book

Bob,

Just been to Halfords and spent a fiver on one of their cycling map cases - velcro's to the bars and looks like it will do the job just fine.

One question, my speedo only shows km's for the odometer and trip - will the road book be in miles or km's?

If miles, is it poss to do a km version, as I'm sure I'll not be the only one in this position.

Regards. Rick.

The only way I can now do a km version is to do a simple one kilometres = 5/8 mile conversion on all the measurements but I don’t know how accurate they’ll then be, but I’ll do it anyway.

I’ll be printing two A5 route sheets on each side of A4 (9 sheets in total) so will probably print the km version on the back of the mile one, you can then choose which to use and how you stick them together, you'll even be able to mix km and mile sheets up if you want, that'd be fun!!

Metric Road Book

Cheers Bob, you're a good 'un!

Really looking forward to the bash, been 20 years since I raced....... Hope there are plenty of toilets near the start!

Hope to see some other of the GS gang there ( even though I have wimped out and not entered on the GS ).

Cheers, Rick.

hi bob
Could you tell me if it is correct that camping is avalable at Llandovery rugby club as stated on the enduro.com web site .If so do you have a contact number so l can get in touch with them
thanks mark

The Rugby Club do usually allow our competitors to camp on their practice pitch @ about £5/night (includes use of showers etc).

The weekend of the Cambrian there is a Rugby match on the Saturday, but it's a minor league match and will all be over and done with by Saturday evening so it should be all OK - but I haven't actually asked them:rolleyes:

I'll try and find out for you and let you know (I don't have a tel no) - the alternative is camping at the Erwlon Caravan Park which is the opposite end of town (Eastern end) but is still within walking distance of all the town has to offer (it's a small market town).

I really wouldn't expect there to be a problem at the Rugby Club though - they have a lot of space.

Erwlon Caravan Park - 01550 720332

Bob

You may be wondering where our entries are. We've decided to give the Rally a miss, as we're still decidedly 'biked out' at the moment.

Probably see you at another event once we're more enthusiastic.

Simon and Georgie

Hi again bob
Went out today and did a bit of green laning on the GS to try out the TKC 80,s on the dirt , it did better than l expected ,great fun(l usually do this sort of thig on a gas gas ec300). l was wondering if you or enyone else out there could advise me on offroad suspension settings (l,m about 17 stone fully kitted). Also wot sort of tyre pressure,s should l be running in the TKC,s considering that they are tubeless
thanks again mark

whoops

Just received my road book and managed to get the pages mixed up already! Yes, I know it should be easy to sort them but because the trip gets re-set a few times, it isn't as easy as expected. My sisters are having a good laugh at my expense (nothing new there!) and are also chuckling at the look on my face when I'm reading the bits where Bob has warned of rough going and then rougher!:confused:

dibdob69
Mark

I'm about the same weight, sometimes a little heavier, and on the GS with TKC80's I'm usually so lazy that I leave the tyre pressures at the road setting, they seem to work OK. If it's really muddy (and the Cambrian won't be) I might drop the pressures a little but with tubeless tyres not very much.

All I do with the suspension is to add about 2 clicks of preload to the front (or wind it fully up if it's particularly rough - the Cambrian isn't) and turn the rear up a little to suit. The GS is so heavy, compared to an enduro bike, that I don’t think suspension tweaks make that much difference riding it off-road.

Tiffany C

You can download more copies of the road book from www.offroad-motorsport.com if needed (even if just to check you have the sheets in the right order – check the instruction numbers in the top right hand corner of the total distance box).

The rough and rougher bits are relative, after a few miles of forest road that I drove my car along you come to a bit that needed a 4x4, I rode it OK an the GSA with Tourance tyres and other riders will always stop to help if you have problems, remember that other than the Special Stages there are no penalties for being late and the average speed for the whole course is only about 18mph. There’s plenty of time to take in the scenery, enjoy the views and take some pictures, that’s what the Cambrian is all about, it’s not just a competition.

I’ll be in the Castle Hotel from Friday evening and look forward to seeing you there, as does Mike Corkery who you met on your way to the GS Irish do back in August.

Bob Jeffries said:

There’s plenty of time to take in the scenery, enjoy the views and take some pictures, that’s what the Cambrian is all about, it’s not just a competition.

That's good to hear as the vote of confidence I've had from my parents were roars of laughter when I said I was going in a competition...

Bob Jeffries said:
I’ll be in the Castle Hotel from Friday evening and look forward to seeing you there, as does Mike Corkery who you met on your way to the GS Irish do back in August.

Great I'll see you both there - Mike also came to the Lahinch Do - after being collared by Annie and myself on our booze cruise (Swansea-Cork 10 hour ferry)- he's one of those honourary GS members who don't actually ride a GS - Mike, who needs reverse gear on their bike?

The Castle on Friday then:beerjug:

Last weekends Cambrian

Respect to all those that competed...especially Saturday!
Respect to all those that lugged a GS around there...
Respect Respect Respect to Tiffany C...'Man of the Match' in my view for grappling the monster through those boggy sections...
Harv (pouffe green KLX....and still knackered!)

Back
Top Bottom