AfghanHeroes.org.uk

Mutley

Reaction score
Formerly known as 'Heroes in Afghanistan', the organisers of the Wootton Bassett Afghan Heroes Charity Ride and the Mother's Day ride in the same location, appear to have a few problems controlling their costs. :(

There's a web site been set up to question them and the information posted looks dissapointing to say the least. Still, this is one side of the story. Maybe they can explain it all. :nenau

I have no connection with the S.O.T. charity, the RBL, Help for Heroes or Afghan Heroes, apart from donations made :hide

As an ex Soldier this saddens me, no....pisses me off!

I've put money into this charity also.

Very sad but not totally shocking these days to find out that a 'charity' is fleecing those who donate in all good faith.

Not nice at all :mad:

Worrying stuff, I've attended the Wootton Bassett rides and made other contributions. Let's hope we get some answers. :mad:

It's the same as the air ambulance brigade that come around trading estates collecting.

They're nothing to do with the air ambulance, but a company that collects "on their behalf" I seem to remember it's about 15p-£1 that gets handed over there as well.

I don't give a brass penny to any charity that I don't know personally where the money goes.

Having completed work for Help the Heroes and The Army Benevolent Fund (ABF), I always find it odd that a “new” collection for monies comes along advertising charities for the same source i.e. injured personnel.

If you want to hold an event, you can ask either of these, or even the RBL and they may help with the details, web site, sponsor ship forms ect..... and sometimes some of the initial cost in setting up the event, Unless ??, call me sceptical!, if it wasn’t in fact such a selfless act?:eek:

Thought this rang a bell...we had a high pressure call from Afghan Heroes yesterday...said they should send us their stuff and we'd consider a donation. "Can I just put you down for a £50 donation in the meantime?" No you feckin can't. Received their blurb through the post today including a fancy certificate, made out in our name, in recognition of our support. I think it's called an "assumptive close". Dodgier than a dodgy thing. Looking forward to their call back...I'll stick with the Legion.

Thought this rang a bell...we had a high pressure call from Afghan Heroes yesterday...said they should send us their stuff and we'd consider a donation. "Can I just put you down for a £50 donation in the meantime?" No you feckin can't. Received their blurb through the post today including a fancy certificate, made out in our name, in recognition of our support. I think it's called an "assumptive close". Dodgier than a dodgy thing. Looking forward to their call back...I'll stick with the Legion.

I had this to, when i suggested that he was pressuring me for the £50 he got pissy with me!!! Left me feeling annoyed.

Interesting (hypothetical) question....if the best charities spend, say, 80% (tops) of what they raise on the intended purpose, you might accept that 70?-60?-50?% was acceptable? At what point does a charity become an evil scam? I'm not sure I'd choose to offend ex military.

Yup, I only ever give to the Legion. Have never trusted any of the others, as I have often wondered why they dont raise funds for the Legion instead of their causes. After all the RBL have an extensive support network and years of experience assisting ex servicemen.
Its a disappointment to read though.
BTW the website does not appear- Link seems to go to a prize winning (maybe spam???) site

Back
Top Bottom