Getting started - mud plugging - Bath Area

Marty

Reaction score
First things first - I'm not really interested in taking the GS off-road so don't go there! Versatile it maybe, but I'd rather get to grips with something I can lift up/get out of the muddy stuff without needing to ask a local farmer for the use of his tractor for starters.

I'm looking at trying the Yamaha Off Road Experience as an intro to off-roading and quite fancy maybe geting an old DRZ or similar to get myself started on a limited budget (that's if I like it of course!!).

Have recently moved to the Bath area and already noticed some potential green lane terrain with a quick glance at the OS map. Anyone from the area got any suggestions or maybe even contacts who'd be up for the same stuff or able to point me in the right direction?

Any thoughts on the above (other than being called a complete wuss for wanting to leave the GS at home) greatly appreciated.

Mart

:bounce1

Marty,

Your first point of call would be your local TRF group, then go to a few meeting to see wot its all about.

Do the Yamaha Experience with Geriant Jones, it is excellant. I did the full weekend with him a few years ago.

BTBR

Thanks BTBR...

...for the above.

Yamaha ORE is basically fully booked until next spring, so am currently trying elsewhere. Clearly a popular choice, sounds like good value as well.

Have contacted both Wilts and Bristol TRF to fine out about meet ups etc.

Anyone else in the area got any experiences they'd like to add - all seems a bit quite when messages get posted under the 'Off Road' heading.

Does that mean that most of us stick to the black stuff for kicks then?:p

Last dates for Level 1 this year is 8+9 Oct, which I can't make. Quite pricey as well although I realise others that have been on it rate it.

Maybe next year....maybe

Ady Smith also does some very good off-road schools as well, but they are normally for those that wish to improve, rather than those just starting out.

You should be able to get a good DRZ for around the two grand mark. I have had two now (S & E models) and they offer excellant value for money. Just be careful, coz some of the early ones were prone to all sorts faults!!

BTBR

Try this Chappie

Allan Whittington [allanwhittington@blueyonder.co.uk]

or

www.cotswoldtrailrides.co.uk

He runs 'Cotswold Trail Rides' and holds 'novice' days.

Top bloke with good routes, he was selling his old bike too last contact I had with him, KTM 400 EXC...done about 5000 miles and was up at 3k I think.

Can also help here as used to guide groups etc round the lanes. Meet at the next meet second wed of month at the Holford arms near the Arboretum. Will bring the maps for you to copy if you need them.

cheers guys - the ball is now well and truly rolling - think mine will be as well (the pair of them that is!!) when the missus gets light of the scheme to spend less time with her!!

:grndevil

There is some one selling a ktm 520 exc in the for sale section if you are interested.

TRF

Marty,

I joined the TRF and went to my first meet last month, top banannas, then went out on a ride just suitable for me.

They will be meeting next Monday 27 Sep at Tennis Court Inn in Warmley Bristol.

I am a complete novice so do not feel shy about coming along as they will make you feel welcome and tell you about local rides etc.

Fred

Done it!!!

As mentioned above I have been out with the TRF boys. My first ride out was on road tyres so it got a bit hairy.

Last Sunday, equipped with off road tyres I went out again with the club and I must say the tyres make all the difference. I still managed to fall off but in better style!!!!

Bloody good fun!!!

Fred:D :hapybnce:

Back
Top Bottom