Servicing costs

Stonker

Reaction score
I have a hankering for an ADV990 or SMT but am a bit put off by the short service interval. Is it still 4,500 miles? How much do you pay?

Still 4500 mls dude, mainly due to dry sump lub system aka dirtbikes so the oil gets a bit more grief and there aint so much of it :thumb2

Just paid £156 for my 4,600 mile service on my 990 SMT and that included fully synthetic Motorex 10 / 50w oil

Stonker if your thinking of buying a KTM just go ahead and do it, the SMT is the most fun bike I've had for a long, long time!:thumb2

At the risk of repeating myself, I dunno if you saw my original post when I first bought the bike, this explains more how I arrived at choosing the SMT :-

http://www.ukgser.com/forums/showthread.php?t=274942

Everything I said still stands, I've got almost 5,500 miles on it now and apart from a healthy appetite for fuel and tyres ( which is mainly the fault of my right hand! :augie) I can't fault the bike.

Get a test ride on the ADV and SMT, depending what you want from your riding ( do you ever go off road? ) one of those bikes will fit the bill, the SMT handles better and has much better brakes.

The next service at 9,000 miles is the valve clearance check, I'm told this will be around the £300 mark, which is ok to keep the warranty up.
When I bought the bike I asked about extending the warranty for another 2 years and I was told this would cost me about £230 and I don't need to pay for it until I'm in the 23rd month of the original 2 yrs warranty so it doesn't seem a bad deal to me.

Let us know what you decide

I have ridden both the ADV & SMT a couple of times. I do quite a few miles (Poland & Sardinia last year, Sweden, Romania & Germany this year) so for those kind of trips the ADV would probbly be best. Although I have a Kawasaki Versys that I took to Sardinia and it coped exceptionally well. I actually run 4 bikes do it's a question of which bike I want to replace.

The 2011 SMT I did try back to back with the Multistrada and thought it's an excellent bike if I'm looking to replace the Versys but I wonder how it would cope with all the luggage.

I do quite a few miles too, that's why mpg & servicing costs are a factor.

I'm also considering the new Triumph if it gets good write ups

Back
Top Bottom