Scott oil alternative (is there one )

corsicandreamer

I,d rather be ski-ing
UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Is there an alternative to "SCOTTOIL " My good ladies f650 gs is fitted with a Scottoiler but i can't seem to locate a supplier here in France. Most places have heard of it but don't stock it. I will probably use 3 in 1 or sae 30 if no one can suggest an alternative. [ or carry the spray grease we use on the trail bikes ]
What do the knowledgeable suggest ?

E-mail Scottoiler and ask them where in France stocks their oil. Their customer service is excellent and I'm sure they'll get back to you tomorrow.

There are all sort of alternative options, including chainsaw oil but, in my experience, nothing works as well as the proper stuff.

Very few people I know who use a Scottoiler use the genuine Scottoil. Most have switched to cheaper alternatives with chainsaw oil being the favourite.

If you want to be "green" you can even use vegetable oil. It doesn't really matter what you use as the oil doesn't lube the chain to any great extent, other than contact with the sprockets. The job of the oil is to keep the O rings moist so the actual lube sealed in behind the O rings does not escape.

If you really want the genuine stuff then BMW dealers will start to stock it soon as Scottoiler have become an approved accessory for the F800. They will be selling kits with BMW branding, and BMW extra mark-up presumably...

I used car engine oil for about 10 years. Mainly because I had a Halfords bottle lying about. Seemed to work as well as the proper stuff I used for 10 years before that.

Back
Top Bottom