filling it up...

tigerwoods

hi guys,

still waiting for my bike so i have not a clue how much a full tank of petrol cost for the 12gs.

also, is SHELL OPTIMAX recommended or just the ordinary TESCO unleaded will do?

happy riding!

Seems to cost me shed loads - about £14 or £15 quid I think.

People have moaned about how slow the tank fills, but mine fills in at full power about 3 seconds flat.

I keep pearing down the hole expecting to see flippin big hole in the base and it pee'ing out all over me boots! :D

Anyway, you shouldn't worry abotu capacity or cost - just ride the thing till it tells you it's thirsty, then drown it in the most expensive super-unleaded you can find :)

p.s. shouldn't you be playing golf?

3 seconds to fill-up, hell you must be using supercharged pumps!
Just fill with the cheapest unleaded you can buy, anYthing else is a waste of dosh (and just too good for it!);-))
Seriously it's very slow to get the last bit in but then it's not worth bothering unless you want to do 250 miles before the next fill-up.

There's a rubber insert in the filler neck which makes it v.slow to fill up the last bit. It also restricts the amount of air that can escape as you fill up (if you insert your nozzle all the way in) resulting in an unpleasant blow-back of air & fuel as the tank nears full.

You can remove the rubber bit quite easily. Open the filler cap, slide your finger in the hole down to the rubber bit, and firmly but gently pull the rubber bit upwards out of the hole.

Also, another suggestion for faster filling is to drill small holes in the filler neck to let the air out as you fill the last bit up. There was a thread about it somewhere in here - I haven't done it yet I have to admit.

In my experience optimax and other 'premium' fuels don't work!

What i have found has worked is using Super Unleaded 98 Octane

When i used it in france my VFR ran sweetly, and when at home i have been doing back to back tests which seems to indicate i gain 1-2mpg extra per tankful, which outweighs the 1p extra cost per litre.

You are probably better of using 98 rather than 'premium branded fules' IMHO

Will try this with my GS (when i get it, and feedback accordingly)

Russ said:
In my experience optimax and other 'premium' fuels don't work!

What i have found has worked is using Super Unleaded 98 Octane

Shell Optimax is 98 octane, and also the only 98 octane fuel sold in the UK. So you will have to pay the extra if you want 98 like you used in France.

Check this out.

:)

Whatton said:
Shell Optimax is 98 octane, and also the only 98 octane fuel sold in the UK. So you will have to pay the extra if you want 98 like you used in France.

Check this out.

:)

I was under the impression that Optimax was just filled with additives, rather than being a 98 RON petrol (the shell website has no information relating to RON rating).

Super Unleaded is reported to be 97 RON although the pumps say 98 RON, but whether this is true or not is unclear...thats product marketing fo you

What is clear to me is that my tuned up VFR run on 95 or Optimax on the same type of journey consumed the same amount of fuel, but on super i got an extra 1-2mpg, and a nice overrun sound from the race cans :D

There must be a petroleum/oil expert somewhere on this board

With the recent outragious 20% price hike at the pumps it costs me nearly 4 (four) quid to fill mine here. :p

Back
Top Bottom