PDA

View Full Version : Harley on a Budget, Advice please?

The smudger
27-09-11, 12:51
OK, Ive been thinking about this for a while but having looked after & ridden a mates 99 FatBoy for a while i have decided i want one.

I have been looking around and seen a lot of bikes & and sort of restricted to a budget so what about this?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1991-HARLEY-DAVIDSON-ULTRA-GLIDE-BLACK-/120784959174?pt=UK_Motorcycles&hash=item1c1f5836c6#ht_500wt_1204

Ive looked at the whole range and if money was no object i'd have a Softail Deluxe, but it is and i want to keep my RT as well so i have to be realistic.

Budget could be up to about 5k but that would be stretching it.

I've looked at the Sportster range and quite like the 48, but their still a bit new & pricey!!!

Everyone ive spoken to says dont buy an 883 but why not??

I quite fancy a road king but would have to be an early one? I have been looking at the ebay one ive put a link to above. Its an UltraGlide, bit blingy for me but can all that fairing stuff be taken off??

Any advice or if you have one i might be interested in let me know. I dont mind a project??

Steve.

David Nimrod
27-09-11, 12:55
Avoid Ultra Glide spec. they're full of:-

Radio Cassette (front)
Intercom
Cruise Control
CB
Rear amplifier & speakers

etc. etc. It will go wrong...

Stick to a late 80's to mid 90's FXR or 'Glide, £5000 (or less) will get you a good 'un, but wait 'till the Summer is over!

luckylucian
27-09-11, 13:02
Go for a rubber mounted engine, you'll find it far more useful :beerjug:

David Nimrod
27-09-11, 13:04
Go for a rubber mounted engine, you'll find it far more useful :beerjug:

'Stick to a late 80's to mid 90's FXR or 'Glide,'

Both rubber mounted engines...

Softails are a pain over distance!

Dyna's are like FXR's, but newer.

Er, that's it :D

The smudger
27-09-11, 13:19
Is this an FXR?

Looks like a 'bitsa' to me, to be avoided?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1994-HARLEY-DAVIDSON-FXD-BLACK-/150667402814?pt=UK_Motorcycles&hash=item23147a1e3e#ht_500wt_1204

The smudger
27-09-11, 13:21
BTW, thanks for the advice guys, keep it comin!

David Nimrod
27-09-11, 13:26
Is this an FXR?

This is an FXR engine in a hardtail frame - can you believe how bad riding with no rear suspension is..?

And yes, I'd avoid it :augie

Shep
27-09-11, 13:34
Is this an FXR?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1994-HARLEY-DAVIDSON-FXD-BLACK-/150667402814?pt=UK_Motorcycles&hash=item23147a1e3e#ht_500wt_1204

Hardtail frame and aftermarket engine casings:nenau

Looks nice but i'd need to see some detailed history before parting with my hard earned.

Hardtails? Not as bad as you'd think, look cool, handle well enough at low speed on smooth roads, they launch off from the lights like a demon but are prone to wheelspin if pushed hard, uncomfortable on long trips and don't even think about it if you have a bad back:blast

David Nimrod
27-09-11, 13:36
...don't even think about it if you have a bad back:blast

or a bad hangover :D

Nice 'n' Fat
27-09-11, 13:40
BTW, thanks for the advice guys, keep it comin!

Steve, I've got a mte in the village who's got an 87 FXLR Low Rider Custom (see photo in link)

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1989-Harley-Davidson-FXLR-Low-Rider-Custom-Photo-/350485935374?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item519a96f50e

It's done less than 20k has Pretech calipers, forward controls, Screamin Eagle carb and about four different exhaust systems for it. He wants shot and is looking for offers in excess of £5000

I've known the bike from new. The original owner was Peter De Savary who used to own Littlecote House back in the 1980's. It sat in his museum unridden for many years untill another mate of mine took it from him in lieu of a debt. He then had it for about 5 years and then sold it on to my mate who owns it now. the current owner is now into WW2 stuff like Willys Jeeps etc so the Harley is just sat there doing sweet F.A.

Gimme a call if you want to see it :thumb

Mutley
27-09-11, 13:43
don't even think about it if you have a bad back:blast

or a bad hangover :D

but good if you have gallstones :hide

David Nimrod
27-09-11, 13:47
but good if you have gallstones :hide

Or if you need to leave your Kidneys by the side of the road... :augie

The smudger
27-09-11, 13:50
Steve, I've got a mte in the village who's got an 87 FXLR Low Rider Custom (see photo in link)

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1989-Harley-Davidson-FXLR-Low-Rider-Custom-Photo-/350485935374?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item519a96f50e

It's done less than 20k has Pretech calipers, forward controls, Screamin Eagle carb and about four different exhaust systems for it. He wants shot and is looking for offers in excess of £5000

I've known the bike from new. The original owner was Peter De Savary who used to own Littlecote House back in the 1980's. It sat in his museum unridden for many years untill another mate of mine took it from him in lieu of a debt. He then had it for about 5 years and then sold it on to my mate who owns it now. the current owner is now into WW2 stuff like Willys Jeeps etc so the Harley is just sat there doing sweet F.A.

Gimme a call if you want to see it :thumb

Ooooooh!

Im off work till next week mate but i'd like to take a shufty, perhaps Friday?

Whats it worth?

Let me know.

Does he owe me a favour? (Ex-Italian crap car owner):D:D

Steve, AKA not the proud owner of an unreliable Italian people carrier.....

David Nimrod
27-09-11, 13:56
Ooooooh! Im off work till next week mate but i'd like to take a shufty, perhaps Friday?

See, you've got all excited, like a teenager in a brothel :D

Wait 'till Winter... there'll be lots around then, and cheaper!

Nice 'n' Fat
27-09-11, 14:16
Not FXLR's there won't and this particular bike is a very nice example of a reasonably rare Harley with a known history

David Nimrod
27-09-11, 14:20
Not FXLR's there won't...

Stock FXLR's are rare, and if it's what you want, then I'm sure it's a good 'un...

My advice was to 'keep your powder dry', and learn what the HD market does.

The smudger
27-09-11, 14:45
Stock FXLR's are rare, and if it's what you want, then I'm sure it's a good 'un...

My advice was to 'keep your powder dry', and learn what the HD market does.

Good advice, Paul knows I can 'peel an orange' in my pocket!

I'll take a look at the FXLR, wont hurt, might still be there in the winter.....

Steptoe
27-09-11, 18:43
The original owner was Peter De Savary who used to own Littlecote House back in the 1980's. It sat in his museum unridden for many years untill another mate of mine took it from him in lieu of a debt.

I went to a harley rally organised by De savary held at littlecote house back in 1988, or it could have been 1989. :cool: They roasted a whole Ox on a spit :drool

And De savary has form for non payment. He still owes me £16 from the bill for my photographs he used in the advertising campaign in his attempt to win the 1983 americas cup yacht race :( You may scoff ( £16 was a good night out back then), but it's the principal. The mans a wanker.

jackass dave
27-09-11, 19:09
nothing wrong with an ultra glide classic ,dont believe every thing you hear about the electrics will go wrong ,talk to some one who has owned one of these not ,a road king etc ,.
i have one previous owner 11 years no problems at all ,and i can name three others who have the same model no problems , a lot of it is hears say :blagblah

jackass dave
27-09-11, 19:42
to say a certain model will go wrong is not right ,remember al models can go wrong , mmm remember final drives on 1200 gs ,a well known fault doesnt mean every one will break...
i think they have made enough of them that havent broken ,some of them are still running ,believe it or not :blagblah

daveg
27-09-11, 19:55
I went to a harley rally organised by De savary held at littlecote house back in 1988, or it could have been 1989. :cool: They roasted a whole Ox on a spit :drool

And De savary has form for non payment. He still owes me £16 from the bill for my photographs he used in the advertising campaign in his attempt to win the 1983 americas cup yacht race :( You may scoff ( £16 was a good night out back then), but it's the principal. The mans a wanker.

I (representing THROB -The Harley Riders of Berkshire) and HDRCGB had several meetings with him in the early 90's to try and get a rally organised. I went to the last one there in 1990. I think he was struggling then to stay afloat financially and in fact Littlecote was sold soon after. They were hard times especially for anybody involved in property. If I recollect there were a lot of rumours about him at the time but he seems to have survived and thrived!

Definitely need to keep a count of your fingers when dealing with him.....

bowser
27-09-11, 19:58
Is this an FXR?

no fxr, is a hardtail frame, its aftermarket seat, rear mudguard and stays, and front end, its got softail tanks and clocks, softail gearbox and softail primary case, so yep its a bitsa, and its had a chain drive conversion. £4,000 would be a fair price but I wouldn't pay much more than that

David Nimrod
27-09-11, 20:11
nothing wrong with an ultra glide classic ,dont believe every thing you hear about the electrics will go wrong ,talk to some one who has owned one of these...

I've owned 2 Ultra's, a '95 and a '96... both bought new.

The '95 was so bad (purely electrical problems) that after huge amounts of warranty work, HD UK actually replaced the bike, for a '96 one...

The '96 never went wrong in the short time I owned it.

But the '95 left me stranded so many times (inc. in France) that it just had to go...

Rob Farmer
27-09-11, 20:19
Put a few more pennies in the Harley jar today. Just need one of you guys to sell me a bargain and I'll be sorted :thumb

The smudger
28-09-11, 14:53
Ive been looking around and in fact been to Riders of Bristol. They were surprisingly unhelpful?

I ride in on a Fat Boy EVO, 99(T), wonder around the bikes, look closely at a few including demo's, have a cuppa, wonder round a bit more, looking closely at a Softail Deluxe, spent about 20 minutes in total, not one salesman made an attempt to ask me if i needed anything/help etc.

Business must be good......

Found this,

http://www.motorcyclenews.com/MCN/bikes-for-sale/searchresults/detail/Harley-Davidson/LOW-RIDER/1996/_/R-NXGN-7567573?mfy=52.547187

Looks too cheap? tried to contact the guy to no avail.....

My initial idea was to buy a cheaper HD to compliment the RT, using the RT for long distances and the HD as a 'toy'. Now ive done a bit of research it would appear the ones i can afford, i dont like :confused:

So, a 'quandry'. Should i sell the RT & buy the HD I really want?

I know i would miss the RT but winters coming, plus the RT will depreciate quicker than a Harley, i think?

Someone help me!!!!!!:blast:blast:blast

David Nimrod
28-09-11, 14:58

Call me - I'll PM you :thumb2

The smudger
28-09-11, 15:16
Thanks David, just helping the kids with there homework, i'll call you later if thats OK?

David Nimrod
28-09-11, 15:17
i'll call you later if thats OK?

No problem, speak later :thumb2

Nice 'n' Fat
28-09-11, 17:31
So, a 'quandry'. Should i sell the RT & buy the HD I really want?

I know i would miss the RT but winters coming, plus the RT will depreciate quicker than a Harley, i think?

I've tried to help you but you are clearly more stupid than even I thought :kissy2

The smudger
28-09-11, 20:53
I've tried to help you but you are clearly more stupid than even I am :kissy2

Dont do yourself down mate, any chance of a bacon sarnie tomorrow?:jibber

The smudger
28-09-11, 21:19
Who else likes this?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1999-HARLEY-DAVIDSON-FLHRCI-ROAD-KING-CLA-BLUE-CREAM-/320764711857?pt=UK_Motorcycles&hash=item4aaf1113b1#ht_924wt_1189

:drool:drool:drool:drool:drool

Kaister
28-09-11, 22:21
fully fully GAY as a gay thing

go for it

oblertone
28-09-11, 22:24
Who else likes this?

... they be copies of Wank :eek:

Buy it and spray the poor thing black asap :rob

Mutley
29-09-11, 06:28
Who else likes this?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1999-HARLEY-DAVIDSON-FLHRCI-ROAD-KING-CLA-BLUE-CREAM-/320764711857?pt=UK_Motorcycles&hash=item4aaf1113b1#ht_924wt_1189

:drool:drool:drool:drool:drool

Nothing that a quick respray and a de chrome wouldn't fix! :P

twizzle
29-09-11, 07:42
if i hadn't have just bought the glide i'd be off to look at this.... been a bit messed with but seems a good price for year/model... its near me if you want me to have a look round it??

http://atsearch.autotrader.co.uk/uvl/popup.jsp?currentaction=searchresults&e2w=27048&sort=5&did=27048&partner=TMG&postcode=po198tt&dropdowntype=uvl&configfile=http://dealerservices.autotrader.co.uk/dealers/27048/27048_template27_config.xml&miles=1500&csslocation=http://dealerservices.autotrader.co.uk/dealers/27048/27048_template27&max_records=200&id=201137415434664&distance=3

widget
29-09-11, 08:10
Everyone ive spoken to says dont buy an 883 but why not??

My missus had an 883 as her first big bike. Not exactly the most powerful bike on the road. It was an 05 bike, the finish was apalling, rusted before your eyes. didnt handle, didnt stop. uncomfortable... oh and did i mention, not exactly the most powerful bike on the road!!!

David Nimrod
29-09-11, 11:13
It was an 05 bike, the finish was apalling, rusted before your eyes...

HD's have had this problem for decades...

Either buy one that's had the frame & swingarm (at the very least) powder coated, or accept that if you use it at all, the bloody thing will deteriorate alarmingly fast.

Some engine finishes are better than others, but the alloy wheels, hubs, spokes, anything chrome, fasteners, steel fenders, etc. are all vulnerable to what I would call 'reasonable use'.

How much worse they are than a new 1200GS, is open to question :augie

David Nimrod
29-09-11, 11:18
Nothing that a quick respray and a de chrome wouldn't fix! :P

Agreed, but after doing all that, you'd end up with a pretty expensive Road King...

Still, there's a certain type of Harley rider that'll love this bike, just as it is :blast

The smudger
29-09-11, 14:47
Still, there's a certain type of Harley rider that'll love this bike, just as it is :blast

That'll be me then!!!

David Nimrod
29-09-11, 14:50
That'll be me then!!!

I can arrange counseling :comfort

(RIP) Proff
29-09-11, 15:43
Agreed, but after doing all that, you'd end up with a pretty expensive Road King...

I love the paint job :thumb2
40's glamour models :drool:drool

Shame it's not on a '47 knuckle head tho':ymca

David Nimrod
29-09-11, 15:46
Shame it's not on a '47 knuckle head tho':ymca

Now that would be classy :thumb2

oblertone
29-09-11, 17:03
... but it is a Hardley; is it just me that thinks this is OTT :confused:

David Nimrod
29-09-11, 17:17

Not OTT at all, just an old Panhead, not original but a classic nonetheless...

(RIP) Proff
29-09-11, 17:19

The "Glam" paint job would look bloody brilliant on that PanHead :drool:drool

The smudger
29-09-11, 17:22
Oh dear,

I appear to have arranged to view that Road King with the girlie paint job tomorrow.:augie:augie:augie:augie:augie

Can i be saved?

In all seriousness how different is the FLHR to the FLSTF to ride? ive been riding the FLSTF for a few days now and got to say i bloody love it!!!

David Nimrod
29-09-11, 17:24
Oh dear, I appear to have arranged to view that Road King with the girlie paint job tomorrow. Can i be saved?

It's not too late! FFS gimme a call, I'll talk you out of it :blast

Steptoe
29-09-11, 17:46
Oh dear,

I appear to have arranged to view that Road King with the girlie paint job tomorrow.:augie:augie:augie:augie:augie

Just to let you know it's been on sale for a looong time. So bare that in mind if your anticipating making an offer.

David Nimrod
29-09-11, 17:48
Just to let you know it's been on sale for a looong time. So bare that in mind if your anticipating making an offer.

Good Advice... paint jobs like that do NOT sell easily...

Mutley
29-09-11, 18:24

I think I recognise that bike and I think it's an S&S so not really a Harley :rob

but yes it is only you :hide

Devon
29-09-11, 19:00

The best advice on the whole thread :D Dec/Jan/Feb is the the time to buy a bargain :thumb2

David Nimrod
29-09-11, 19:20
The best advice on the whole thread :D Dec/Jan/Feb is the the time to buy a bargain :thumb2

I keep telling him, but he just won't listen :blast

The smudger
29-09-11, 19:48
I keep telling him, but he just won't listen :blast

Have guests round, (well outlaws) at the Mo David, i will call you tomorrow!

I am listening chaps, really! You know ive got that Harley bug!

The smudger
29-09-11, 19:49

Interesting mate! How long has it been around for, do you know?

The smudger
29-09-11, 19:50
Good Advice... paint jobs like that do NOT sell easily...

Another good shout. I realise that a paint job like that makes it a bit of a 'Marmite' bike, guess what? I like Marmite......

David Nimrod
29-09-11, 19:51
Have guests round, (well outlaws) at the Mo David, i will call you tomorrow!

Let's just hope it's not too late :augie

You're like a moth to a candle :bounce1

:beerjug:

The smudger
29-09-11, 19:55
See, you've got all excited, like a teenager in a brothel :D

Well i looked at the FXLR today and although it is a lovely bike it's not for me:(

I'm sure that its worth the money and anyone interested contact Nice & Fat.

The smudger
29-09-11, 20:00
if i hadn't have just bought the glide i'd be off to look at this.... been a bit messed with but seems a good price for year/model... its near me if you want me to have a look round it??

http://atsearch.autotrader.co.uk/uvl/popup.jsp?currentaction=searchresults&e2w=27048&sort=5&did=27048&partner=TMG&postcode=po198tt&dropdowntype=uvl&configfile=http://dealerservices.autotrader.co.uk/dealers/27048/27048_template27_config.xml&miles=1500&csslocation=http://dealerservices.autotrader.co.uk/dealers/27048/27048_template27&max_records=200&id=201137415434664&distance=3

Thanks Twizzle, might take you up on that mate. I'll let you know.

:thumb Steve.

The smudger
29-09-11, 20:02
My missus had an 883 as her first big bike. Not exactly the most powerful bike on the road. It was an 05 bike, the finish was apalling, rusted before your eyes. didnt handle, didnt stop. uncomfortable... oh and did i mention, not exactly the most powerful bike on the road!!!

Thanks Widget. I'd almost put a line through the Sportster range anyway, thats the proverbial final 'nail in the coffin' for me, cheers mate.

The smudger
29-09-11, 20:09
Here's what ive been riding around for the last few weeks, i love it!

This is the reason i want one.....

deaninkl
30-09-11, 03:19
I've had a couple of Harleys and like them, sporters are slow and viby, fun, but if you do serious miles they are limited. I had a 93 softail custom and would have another, engines are bullet proof, electerics can be a problem, but only loose connections...vibration....bits do drop off, but you get use to looking them over when cleaning.

Imence fun. I'd look at the road king (strip it down of all the unnessesary crap and they are stunning), a 90's softail or Dyna. should find a few in your price range.

David Nimrod
30-09-11, 07:10
I'd look at the road king (strip it down of all the unnessesary crap and they are stunning), a 90's softail or Dyna. should find a few in your price range.

Good advice :thumb2

(But remember that Softail's didn't use 'rubber mount' engines, so aren't nearly as good at distance as the Dyna's or FLH family of bikes...)

Shep
30-09-11, 07:26
Good advice :thumb2

(But remember that Softail's didn't use 'rubber mount' engines, so aren't nearly as good at distance as the Dyna's or FLH family of bikes...)

My last HD, the Fat Boy, was a softtail and I liked that, did a few big tours on it with few issues. Since then, when tyre kicking, I liked the look of twin shock models but they have felt so small in comparison when you sit on them, are they really that much smaller???

David Nimrod
30-09-11, 07:31
My last HD, the Fat Boy, was a softtail and I liked that, did a few big tours on it with few issues. Since then, when tyre kicking, I liked the look of twin shock models but they have felt so small in comparison when you sit on them, are they really that much smaller???

People do of course go touring on Softails, but I always found the vibes on the Evo engined ones to be too much after a while.

The Twin Cam ones got balanced engines to smooth things out...

A lot of people buy a Softail for 'the look' (they have that 'iconic HD style') and worry about the rest of it later, if at all!

The Dyna's are a bit smaller I guess, but not by much...

The bottom line is, you can tour on anything, as long as it holds together :augie

twizzle
30-09-11, 10:08
http://www.ukgser.com/forums/showthread.php?t=280714

:thumb

The smudger
30-09-11, 18:22
Thought long and hard about Daves bike Twizzle and i think it will be just too big & heavy for me, it does look fantastic though!

Right,

Had a few weeks thinking about this and ive narrowed things down a bit.

1. Sportsters are out.
2. FXR/FXLR/ULTRA GLIDE/WIDE GLIDE etc.. are out.
3. I would love either a FLHR/FLSTF.
4. I would sell an organ for an FLSTN :drool:drool:drool

So, Looks like the original idea, i.e. buy a cheaper HD and keep the RT was a bad one as all the cheaper bikes I dont like/want, and i'm not into buying a bike 'just because its cheap', it HAS to be the bike I want. I have done 150 + miles each day for the last 2 days on the FLSTF and apart from my arse turning into a lump of steak, i really found it very comfy!

The initial thoughts about keeping the RT was that if I fancy a weekend in France with the missus I would have a bike comfortable enough to go on, but i have to be honest and say i could have easily done that on the Fat Boy, although we would have had to fit panniers etc..

So i am now thinking, if i want an FLSTF/FLHR/FLSTN the RT will have to go:(

Not a really bad thing, I can always get another at a later date? I do use the RT to commute into work in the summer (130 ml round trip) and am increasingly concerned about the amount of accidents i see on the M4 everyday, such that i was considering just using the car anyway, making the RT a leisure tool anyway, and if i want a leisure tool i'd rather have a HD.

There, is this making sense?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2006-Harley-Davidson-Softail-FLSTN-1450-Deluxe-/330616923935?pt=UK_Motorcycles&hash=item4cfa4de71f#ht_1072wt_1189

:drool:drool

If i sold/traded the RT i could have this.........AND keep all my organs:eek:

David Nimrod
30-09-11, 18:29
I would love either a FLHR/FLSTF.

There, is this making sense?

Not really :D

FLHR - Electra Glide

FLSTF - Softail

These two are very different bikes! (for Harleys...)

What age/budget are you looking at; Evo's or Twin Cam's..?

I'd go for the FLHR out of those two :thumb2

The smudger
30-09-11, 18:49
Sorry, still getting used to all the letters etc...

When i said FLHR i thought that was a Road King :augie

Anyway, anyone ridden one of these?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2000-Harley-Davidson-Softail-FXSTD-1450-Deuce-/330610210605?pt=UK_Motorcycles&hash=item4cf9e7772d#ht_1072wt_1189

I like the look of this, and its a Softail (?) plus loads of extras???

My intial budget for the 'extra' bike was 5k abs max.

Age dont bother me really David, condition is king!

Mutley
30-09-11, 18:57
FWIW you are really unlikely to fit panniers to a Softail Deluxe. Hard luggage will look really horrible and soft luggage will probably damage the really expensive paint. These things are tinsel barges and not touring bikes.

I'd test ride a Glide. Street Glides aren't that big and heavy, however that Ultra above without the Tour Pak is pretty much a Street Glide with nice paint. Road Kings are also a decent half way house.

£12k buys an awfull lot of 'Glide ;)

Mutley
30-09-11, 19:01
Anyway, anyone ridden one of these?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2000-Harley-Davidson-Softail-FXSTD-1450-Deuce-/330610210605?pt=UK_Motorcycles&hash=item4cf9e7772d#ht_1072wt_1189

I like the look of this, and its a Softail (?) plus loads of extras???

The Deuce is a bit of a wierd bike. That tail piece is plenty odd for a start. Not a popular model :(

The smudger
30-09-11, 19:04
FWIW you are really unlikely to fit panniers to a Softail Deluxe. Hard luggage will look really horrible and soft luggage will probably damage the really expensive paint. These things are tinsel barges and not touring bikes.

I'd test ride a Glide. Street Glides aren't that big and heavy, however that Ultra above without the Tour Pak is pretty much a Street Glide with nice paint. Road Kings are also a decent half way house.

£12k buys an awfull lot of 'Glide ;)

Good point re the panniers on the Deluxe! never thought of that.

What about the Softail Deuce? they have 2 for sale, 1 silver/1 blue multi. The silver one comes with luggage and a screen?

When you say weird, do you mean styling or handling/riding?

Mutley
30-09-11, 20:23
What about the Softail Deuce? they have 2 for sale, 1 silver/1 blue multi. The silver one comes with luggage and a screen?

When you say weird, do you mean styling or handling/riding?

There are a few appearing in the custom world now and some people have made them look quite nice. The thing is they don't have many interchangeable parts with the rest of the range so custom stuff will also be hard to find. They are a bit 'marmite' to the conservative HD world so they look good VFM to the new comer.

As for riding, I've never ridden a Deuce. Softails aren't my bag, poor handling and zero ground clearance. I have ridden a softail with a 21" skinny front wheel. Best you try before you buy :eek

David Nimrod
30-09-11, 20:33
I have ridden a softail with a 21" skinny front wheel. Best you try before you buy :eek

I'd agree, 21" front wheels are really an acquired taste :augie

(Another problem with that FXLR... that had a 21" too...)

The smudger
30-09-11, 20:36
I'd agree, 21" front wheels are really an acquired taste :augie

(Another problem with that FXLR... that had a 21" too...)

I know, Nice n Fat swears by that 21" front wheel set up, he's a big DWG fan. Can a fat front wheel be fitted to the Deuce?

David Nimrod
30-09-11, 20:39
Can a fat front wheel be fitted to the Deuce?

16" front wheel in 'wide glide' forks..? It wouldn't really look good IMHO.

I'm sure it can be done, but why not get the right bike in the first place..?

This could all be so simple... :blast

The smudger
30-09-11, 20:44
16" front wheel in 'wide glide' forks..? It wouldn't really look good IMHO.

I'm sure it can be done, but why not get the right bike in the first place..?

This could all be so simple... :blast

The 'right bike' is 12k mate! You are right, if i had 12k to spend it would be simple, i'd go and buy a Deluxe and keep the RT, but i haven't so have to look at options unfortunately..:(:(

David Nimrod
30-09-11, 20:51
The 'right bike' is 12k mate! You are right, if i had 12k to spend it would be simple, i'd go and buy a Deluxe and keep the RT, but i haven't so have to look at options unfortunately..:(:(

Bollocks :D

You can get a lovely Harley for £5-7k no problem (as I've been saying...)

Buy a bike, ride it for a year, then see how you feel...

You'll not go wrong with an Evo or early Twin Cam Road King...

Even a totally stock one will be ready to tour, or whatever it is you want to do :augie

jackass dave
30-09-11, 21:19
dont get one with a solid front wheel ,they just look wrong wrong wrong ,harleys should really have spoked wheels ,cast as a second option ,but never ever solid wheels.
who in there right mind would ride any other model with a solid front /back wheel .
its just wrong

Trippy
30-09-11, 21:40

And where is the best place to find them, fleabay?

I like the (and I don't know the real name) classic big one with no fairing or just a screen, like NYPD but without all the shite.

David Nimrod
30-09-11, 21:46
don't get one with a solid front wheel... its just wrong

Tons of unsprung weight... Bad in crosswinds too :blast

Did Harley care..? No!

The Fatboy was a huge styling success :D

David Nimrod
30-09-11, 21:47

eBay is usually the best place to look... plus BikeTrader...

The HDRCGB site has Ads too here (http://www.hdrcgb.org.uk/classifieds/index.php)

Devon
30-09-11, 21:47

I like the (and I don't know the real name) classic big one with no fairing or just a screen, like NYPD but without all the shite.

MCN, Autotrader or ebay but You need to be the first on the phone.

jackass dave
30-09-11, 21:50
just remember what suits one ,doesnt suit another ,harleys are such a personel choice ,so no ones choice ;ie fairing /no fairing /bling /no bling /its a personell choice .
BUT SOLID WHEELS ARE STILL WRONG !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

David Nimrod
30-09-11, 21:50
MCN, Autotrader or ebay but You need to be the first on the phone.

Too right, when I got my FLHS for £3750 it'd been on Biketrader for a matter of hours :augie

David Nimrod
30-09-11, 21:51
BUT SOLID WHEELS ARE STILL WRONG !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Time for another bottle of that excellent Red I think :D

jackass dave
30-09-11, 21:58
im doing your cds tommorrow,

twizzle
30-09-11, 22:21
im doing your cds tommorrow,
:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

daveg
01-10-11, 00:17
Time for another bottle of that excellent Red I think :D

:jager

Nice 'n' Fat
01-10-11, 15:42
Not really :D

FLHR - Electra Glide

FLSTF - Softail

These two are very different bikes! (for Harleys...)

What age/budget are you looking at; Evo's or Twin Cam's..?

I'd go for the FLHR out of those two :thumb2

Nope not quite correct

FLHR = Road King

FLHT = Electra Glide

FLSTF = Fatboy

FL is tourer style so 16 inch wheels and likely to have running boards etc

FX is a cruiser so likely to have 19 or 21 in front wheel may have raked frame etc

ST denotes Soft Tail :blagblah

It all makes sense if you study it long and hard enough :D

Pete D
01-10-11, 15:58
How many motorcycle spec books have you 'devoured' over the years?

Trumpet, Hardley and BMW......any more?

Took me all of 5 mins to link your bike forums personas......though I think PtB has a better ring to it.

Hope you are well:thumb

GSA is going very well indeed.

Nice 'n' Fat
01-10-11, 16:12
How many motorcycle spec books have you 'devoured' over the years?

Trumpet, Hardley and BMW......any more?

Took me all of 5 mins to link your bike forums personas......though I think PtB has a better ring to it.

Hope you are well:thumb

GSA is going very well indeed.

Only a few Pete :D

David Nimrod
01-10-11, 16:16
Nope not quite correct

Apologies for being pedantic, but a Road King (FLHR) is an Electra Glide - it's the FLH bit that tells you that...

All the FL bikes are from the same basic 'Family' (called 'Touring').

All the Softails are another 'Family'.

All the Dyna's... etc. etc. etc.

The smudger
01-10-11, 16:21
Went down to Riders in Bridgewater today, nice place & some nice bikes. A good hearted salesman offered me £5800 for the RT against a 34k ml 1998 Road King he had literally just taken in PX.

It was good to see before it had been through the workshops but boy was it a rough one! looked as if it had been ridden all through the winter then parked in the sea...

He valued the RK at 7995 when all done, that basically meant 2k to change.

I think not.....

David Nimrod
01-10-11, 16:25
Went down to Riders in Bridgwater today...

He valued the RK at 7995 when all done, that basically meant 2k to change.

I think not.....

Good Call...

The flippin' 'Dealers' are just that... ready to make money out of you :eek:

I'd live on your wits and find one yourself... Sell the BMW on here, look for a Harley in the usual places...

No way would I buy a s/h HD from a Dealer!

The smudger
01-10-11, 16:29
Anything on here worth a punt?

http://www.moto-uno.co.uk/our_current_range_of_motorcycles.htm

Anyone know of these guys/bought one from them? They all look fairly clean and keenly priced.

I like the look of the 10k Softail Deluxe, and the 11k Road King Custom....:cool:

I think i might wait till the winter sets in and money gets tight! Will i get a decent early Road King for less than 5k?

David Nimrod
01-10-11, 16:38
I think i might wait till the winter sets in and money gets tight! Will i get a decent early Road King for less than 5k?

With the economic situation going the way it's going, I'd say you have every chance :thumb2

Also, as I've said before, an FLHR is a good choice of bike.

Nice 'n' Fat
01-10-11, 16:38
Apologies for being pedantic, but a Road King (FLHR) is an Electra Glide - it's the FLH bit that tells you that...

All the FL bikes are from the same basic 'Family' (called 'Touring').

All the Softails are another 'Family'.

All the Dyna's... etc. etc. etc.

I can see how you made the mistake and accept your apology :thumb2

David Nimrod
01-10-11, 16:39
I can see how you made the mistake and accept your apology :thumb2

That's very gracious of me :D

The smudger
01-10-11, 16:39
Good Call...

The flippin' 'Dealers' are just that... ready to make money out of you :eek:

I'd live on your wits and find one yourself... Sell the BMW on here, look for a Harley in the usual places...

No way would I buy a s/h HD from a Dealer!

I know what youre saying but to be honest 5800 is not a bad price for the RT.

In all honesty i would be happy if I got 6k for the RT, and i think in some cases having a p/x is a good thing when buying.

As i've said, i would like to keep the RT if poss but its not looking likely.....

Nice 'n' Fat
01-10-11, 16:41
Went down to Riders in Bridgewater today, nice place & some nice bikes. A good hearted salesman offered me £5800 for the RT against a 34k ml 1998 Road King he had literally just taken in PX.

Was his name Jerry? :augie

David Nimrod
01-10-11, 16:41
I know what youre saying but to be honest 5800 is not a bad price for the RT.

In all honesty i would be happy if I got 6k for the RT, and i think in some cases having a p/x is a good thing when buying.

As i've said, i would like to keep the RT if poss but its not looking likely.....

Right, the Sun's shining, I'm off out :D

The smudger
01-10-11, 16:43
With the economic situation going the way it's going, I'd say you have every chance :thumb2

Also, as I've said before, an FLHR is a good choice of bike.

Got to say the only thing i wasnt sure about on the Road King is the bars, dont think the standard ones are wide enough, but they can be changed?

What about that fire engine red one on that Moto-Uno website?

The smudger
01-10-11, 16:44
Was his name Jerry? :augie

Didnt get his name mate, youngish guy, bit sure of himself....

Trippy
01-10-11, 16:44
Only the 2nd HD I have ever sat on.

http://i80.photobucket.com/albums/j176/Wivey/New%20York%20April%2010/NewYorkApril2010172.jpg

Melch
01-10-11, 16:46
I went and had a look at a bike at Moto Uno. He is a one man band and runs the business from his home in leafy Surrey. He imports the bikes from the good ol US of A. Although, wether they all come from there I don't know.
He seems a nice straight up sort of guy. He didn't really have what I was looking for at the time so I didn't buy but he does seem to shift some nice stuff. I think his prices are a little high personally. Having said that his prices will be market driven so if too high he aint gonna sell nuthin.
He also has a gorgeous old Buick on the drive.

Nice 'n' Fat
02-10-11, 10:44
Didnt get his name mate, youngish guy, bit sure of himself....

Now if you'd have said "smarmy cnut, thinks he knows it all" I could have retorted with "well that's all of them in the sales dept" :D

The smudger
02-10-11, 17:21
does anyone know what colours the 100th anniv FLHR came in?

David Nimrod
02-10-11, 17:35
does anyone know what colours the 100th anniv FLHR came in?

You'll find some info here (http://www.carpictures.com/Harley-Davidson/Motorcycles-100-Year-Anniversary-Models-2003-02GEC495133593) :thumb2

And here (http://www.totalmotorcycle.com/photos/2003models/2003models-Harley-Davidson-FLHR-FLHRIRoadKing.htm)...

And even here (http://www.hotautoweb.com/classics/2003-harley-davidson-100th-anniversary-road-king-classic-fihrci)

And here's some blurb:-

CELEBRATING 100 YEARS OF GREAT MOTORCYCLES

No other model year in the history of Harley-Davidson has been more anticipated. The Harley-Davidson Motor Company will celebrate its 100th Anniversary next year and for Harley Owners Group members, enthusiasts, employees, authorised dealers and everyone involved with the brand it will be a very special year.

Every bike produced during the 2003 model year will be a
limited edition work of motorcycle art, featuring unique colours, detailing and centenary motifs that immediately make every 2003 Harley-Davidson a collector’s item. Harley-Davidson has gone to extraordinary lengths to offer something extra special for its extended 14-month Anniversary model year. With demand expected to be extremely strong, the decision to extend the normally 12-month model year allows more customers the opportunity to purchase one of the 100th Anniversary motorcycles.

While the new models celebrate the past 100 years, it is technology developed for the next 100 years that underpins the new machines. The model year 2003 motorcycles collectively celebrate a century of classic styling with Harley-Davidson pursuing a policy of developing and using the latest technologies in a way that does not compromise the styling and design for which its motorcycles are so prized.

As a clear statement of authenticity, each 100th Anniversary model will feature a commemorative medallion insert on the engine crankcase. New crankcase castings and adhesion methods were specially developed to make this feature possible. In addition, there’s a 100th Anniversary model nameplate and the choice of three Anniversary colours with a high level of Anniversary detailing as well as three carry-over colours, also with Anniversary content. Sterling Silver and Vivid Black Two-Tone; Vivid Black; and Gunmetal Pearl models feature significant Anniversary detailing. These colours are complemented by broad Anniversary decal striping with a fine detail block pattern of the Harley-Davidson name. The overall effect closely resembles a watermark.

Sterling Silver is a new type of paint finish for the motorcycle industry and the Harley-Davidson styling and manufacturing teams had to develop and implement totally new paint application processes to create it. The end result is a very thin metallic coat over a reflective gloss base coat to give a unique, liquid metal look in bright sunlight.

The three colours carried over from 2002 – Luxury Rich Red Pearl, Luxury Blue Pearl and White Pearl – all carry more subtle 100th Anniversary identification and will be offered on selected models only. The VRSCA V-Rod, introduced in 2001, is an exception with a choice of either Sterling Silver and Vivid Black Two-Tone or its original Anodized Aluminium. Each colour option has its own individual set of 100th Anniversary decals.

The Sportster 883R will continue to be offered in the only appropriate colour for this motorcycle: Harley-Davidson Racing Orange with checker graphics and subtle Anniversary markings.

“We wanted to deliver something really special to our customers in 2003,” said Willie G. Davidson, vice president of styling, and grandson of one of the Motor Company’s founders William A. Davidson. “To achieve this, Harley-Davidson is offering customers 100th Anniversary identification on all 2003 models. With their stunning colours and unique styling elements, the 100th Anniversary models illustrate why Harley-Davidson motorcycles are permanent fixtures on highways everywhere.”

Steptoe
03-10-11, 09:20
This 2002 road king sold for £6200 on ebay as a buy it now about 2 months ago. :eek: It was in london and i was just about on the way :D.

There was a 2004 road king that had a buy it now at £6k and sold within 30 minutes.
So if you do see one at a good price you have to make a grown up decision and not fanny about.

http://i55.tinypic.com/20h0vuc.jpg

http://i56.tinypic.com/21e82fl.jpg

David Nimrod
03-10-11, 09:22
So if you do see one at a good price you have to make a grown up decision and not fanny about...

carpe diem :thumb2

Mutley
03-10-11, 09:25
A mate of mine has bought a very neat kit from the U.S. That fits a pattern Batwing to a Road King. :cool

As the RK has all the clocks in the tank, unlike a Glide, the fairing can then be filled with speakers. The result is a very cool looking bike with a deafening stereo :green gri

David Nimrod
03-10-11, 09:36
The result is a very cool looking bike with a deafening stereo...

For serial attention seekers :D

twizzle
03-10-11, 11:18
i like my "batwing".... also first bike with a Radio!!

Still pulling up at the lights, Black Glide, Leathers, Helmet blasting out "the candy man can" on Radio 2 was a bit of a problem as i quickly tried to stop, change down, turn the radio down etc.....whilst getting strange looks from passers by....

att
03-10-11, 11:49
I bought a Harley on a budgie.....This is what I did:

Friday afternoon, started drinking beer, this then progressed to Red Wine.
After a few hours of drinking, start to trawel e bay.....Fuck knows why I was looking at Harleys, didn`t want one, didn`t want to be associated with the gayboys that generally ride them(They really are complete wankers usually)

Anyways, found myself looking at a fairground ride Harley...Electra Glide Ultra Classic, it was cheap, fucking cheap.....So I called the missus into the office to have a look, she liked it, especially the seat! I pressed the button in a drunken haze, thinking that I would never win it for such a low price!

I forgot all about it untill the following Sunday.....Thought I had better check the status, well bugger me if I hadn`t won it.:blast

So I contacted the geezer, only 30 miles from me, got the cash, drove over there and did the deal.

What a peice of shit I thought it was, rode like a bastard (This is normal for two wheel tractors) Chucked it in the shed until April, this was October when I had bought it.

In April, I took it to a specialist to check it over and service it for our journey to Madrid...Seems I had bought a good one:eek

Took it to Madrid, had a brilliant time. Now use it just for two up riding and the odd spin when I am feeling gay.:D

Still a fucking horrible peice of shit to me though.

David Nimrod
03-10-11, 13:13
whilst getting strange looks from passers by....

I'm not surprised...

Radio 2 :blast

twizzle
03-10-11, 16:16
:thumb2 none of that high brow radio 4 tosh for me!

I'm not surprised...

Radio 2 :blast

David Nimrod
03-10-11, 16:22
:thumb2 none of that high brow radio 4 tosh for me!

Radio 4, pah! World Service for me mate :thumb2

The smudger
06-10-11, 13:47
OK, I think ive seen the bike i want so the RT is for sale. Ive posted it in the for sale section.

HD here i come...

David Nimrod
06-10-11, 16:26
OK, I think ive seen the bike i want...

I used to be indecisive, now I'm not so sure... :D

Good Luck & check it out thoroughly...

kurtz
06-10-11, 17:19
Hi all,

Im in a similar postion to Smudger, Decided to get a Harley with no real

idea of models etc...:confused:

Im also working to a budget. Hard to justify spending more than 6k..

I fancy a late 1200 sportster or an earlier Dyna Glide..:cool: Anyones

ideas on the various merits/cons on these models welcome...:thumb

I have seen a 2004 Dyna Super Glide 1450cc for sale..

11,000 miles with Stage one tune, it appears to be quite clean..:thumb

Any thoughts what would be a fair ballpark price for it?..:confused:

See I told you I had no idea..:D

Any thoughts most welcome thanks..:beerjug:

The smudger
06-10-11, 19:53
Hi all,

Im in a similar postion to Smudger, Decided to get a Harley with no real

idea of models etc...:confused:

Im also working to a budget. Hard to justify spending more than 6k..

I fancy a late 1200 sportster or an earlier Dyna Glide..:cool: Anyones

ideas on the various merits/cons on these models welcome...:thumb

I have seen a 2004 Dyna Super Glide 1450cc for sale..

11,000 miles with Stage one tune, it appears to be quite clean..:thumb

Any thoughts what would be a fair ballpark price for it?..:confused:

See I told you I had no idea..:D

Any thoughts most welcome thanks..:beerjug:

Just keep trawling ebay and follow some of the advice from here, i knew nothing about Harleys a couple of months ago, know i know a little bit more.....

I would check MCN/AUTOTRADER/EBAY and compare prices. They really do vary so much though!

And DEFINATELY ride one first!!!

Doris
07-10-11, 06:25
i like my "batwing".... also first bike with a Radio!!

Still pulling up at the lights, Black Glide, Leathers, Helmet blasting out "the candy man can" on Radio 2 was a bit of a problem as i quickly tried to stop, change down, turn the radio down etc.....whilst getting strange looks from passers by....

Me thinks the "strange looks" were fuck all to do with the bike ..or radio...:D

twizzle
07-10-11, 07:20
Me thinks the "strange looks" were fuck all to do with the bike ..or radio...:D

just let me dream......

David Nimrod
07-10-11, 07:21
Mate, it's a 'suspension of disbelief' :D

kurtz
10-10-11, 17:01
And DEFINATELY ride one first!!!

I took two 883s out from my local dealer, they chugged about quite nicely..

reminded me of my old Bonnie..:thumb

would like more torque though, so a 1200 would do nicely..

I have seen a very clean 04 Super glide Custom mind.:cool:.. similar sort of price to a late 1200.

whats the concensus on these,, any good..:confused:

Mutley
10-10-11, 18:56
Superglide: all the handling of a sporty, all the fun of a big twin. Great basis for any type of custom you want to build. :cool