Harley on a Budget, Advice please?

The smudger

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
OK, Ive been thinking about this for a while but having looked after & ridden a mates 99 FatBoy for a while i have decided i want one.

I have been looking around and seen a lot of bikes & and sort of restricted to a budget so what about this?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1991-HARL...Motorcycles&hash=item1c1f5836c6#ht_500wt_1204

Ive looked at the whole range and if money was no object i'd have a Softail Deluxe, but it is and i want to keep my RT as well so i have to be realistic.

Budget could be up to about 5k but that would be stretching it.

I've looked at the Sportster range and quite like the 48, but their still a bit new & pricey!!!

Everyone ive spoken to says dont buy an 883 but why not??

I quite fancy a road king but would have to be an early one? I have been looking at the ebay one ive put a link to above. Its an UltraGlide, bit blingy for me but can all that fairing stuff be taken off??

Any advice or if you have one i might be interested in let me know. I dont mind a project??

Steve.

Avoid Ultra Glide spec. they're full of:-

Radio Cassette (front)
Intercom
Cruise Control
CB
Rear amplifier & speakers

etc. etc. It will go wrong...

Stick to a late 80's to mid 90's FXR or 'Glide, £5000 (or less) will get you a good 'un, but wait 'till the Summer is over!

Go for a rubber mounted engine, you'll find it far more useful :beerjug:

'Stick to a late 80's to mid 90's FXR or 'Glide,'

Both rubber mounted engines...

Softails are a pain over distance!

Dyna's are like FXR's, but newer.

Er, that's it :D

Hardtail frame and aftermarket engine casings:nenau

Looks nice but i'd need to see some detailed history before parting with my hard earned.

Hardtails? Not as bad as you'd think, look cool, handle well enough at low speed on smooth roads, they launch off from the lights like a demon but are prone to wheelspin if pushed hard, uncomfortable on long trips and don't even think about it if you have a bad back:blast

BTW, thanks for the advice guys, keep it comin!

Steve, I've got a mte in the village who's got an 87 FXLR Low Rider Custom (see photo in link)

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1989-Harl...374?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item519a96f50e

It's done less than 20k has Pretech calipers, forward controls, Screamin Eagle carb and about four different exhaust systems for it. He wants shot and is looking for offers in excess of £5000

I've known the bike from new. The original owner was Peter De Savary who used to own Littlecote House back in the 1980's. It sat in his museum unridden for many years untill another mate of mine took it from him in lieu of a debt. He then had it for about 5 years and then sold it on to my mate who owns it now. the current owner is now into WW2 stuff like Willys Jeeps etc so the Harley is just sat there doing sweet F.A.

Gimme a call if you want to see it :thumb

Steve, I've got a mte in the village who's got an 87 FXLR Low Rider Custom (see photo in link)

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1989-Harl...374?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item519a96f50e

It's done less than 20k has Pretech calipers, forward controls, Screamin Eagle carb and about four different exhaust systems for it. He wants shot and is looking for offers in excess of £5000

I've known the bike from new. The original owner was Peter De Savary who used to own Littlecote House back in the 1980's. It sat in his museum unridden for many years untill another mate of mine took it from him in lieu of a debt. He then had it for about 5 years and then sold it on to my mate who owns it now. the current owner is now into WW2 stuff like Willys Jeeps etc so the Harley is just sat there doing sweet F.A.

Gimme a call if you want to see it :thumb

Ooooooh!

Im off work till next week mate but i'd like to take a shufty, perhaps Friday?

Whats it worth?

Let me know.

Does he owe me a favour? (Ex-Italian crap car owner):D:D

Steve, AKA not the proud owner of an unreliable Italian people carrier.....

Not FXLR's there won't and this particular bike is a very nice example of a reasonably rare Harley with a known history

Stock FXLR's are rare, and if it's what you want, then I'm sure it's a good 'un...

My advice was to 'keep your powder dry', and learn what the HD market does.

Good advice, Paul knows I can 'peel an orange' in my pocket!

I'll take a look at the FXLR, wont hurt, might still be there in the winter.....

The original owner was Peter De Savary who used to own Littlecote House back in the 1980's. It sat in his museum unridden for many years untill another mate of mine took it from him in lieu of a debt.

I went to a harley rally organised by De savary held at littlecote house back in 1988, or it could have been 1989. :cool: They roasted a whole Ox on a spit :drool

And De savary has form for non payment. He still owes me £16 from the bill for my photographs he used in the advertising campaign in his attempt to win the 1983 americas cup yacht race :( You may scoff ( £16 was a good night out back then), but it's the principal. The mans a wanker.

nothing wrong with an ultra glide classic ,dont believe every thing you hear about the electrics will go wrong ,talk to some one who has owned one of these not ,a road king etc ,.
i have one previous owner 11 years no problems at all ,and i can name three others who have the same model no problems , a lot of it is hears say :blagblah

to say a certain model will go wrong is not right ,remember al models can go wrong , mmm remember final drives on 1200 gs ,a well known fault doesnt mean every one will break...
i think they have made enough of them that havent broken ,some of them are still running ,believe it or not :blagblah

Back
Top Bottom