Super Tenere mods

snakebasket

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
I collect a new Superten next month, and was wondering about a few of the mods guys here have already done:

Most important is to get rid of the huge exhaust, I have seen the Wasp bike Motoradd carbon can but it seems most have fitted Remus or Akropovic. Can you run the Remus and discard the huge exhaust guard?

The Yamaha panniers are a ridiculous price, and ideally I would like to get the exhaust tucked away and fit something like Metal Mule, with two balanced panniers; anybody done this? And discard the pillion seat and mount the top box further forward? I notice Nick Sanders XTZ has Touratech luggage, is this the better option?

Oxford heatd grips, presumably the original ones seem o be the choice (unless you have the £200 Yam ones). I believe there is a ready made connector on the loom by the battey, is this easy to conect to , and where is the best place to mount the control?

I saw in one of the threads that someone has turned the throttle upside down so that the cables are out of the way, is this is a simple process?

Have ordered SW Motec crash bars and bash plate.

Bought the Tenere as the prices are now more sensible, traded my XT660R in against it after a 2 month//15,000 mile trip on it this year, where it didn't miss a beat and convinced me of Yamaha reliability. (Won't part with my 1100GS though, )

Hope someone can offer me the benefit of their experienc..

I collect a new Superten next month, and was wondering about a few of the mods guys here have already done:

Probably on the wrong forum, try these:-

http://www.super-tenere.net/

http://www.yamahasupertenere.com/index.php?action=forum

Most important is to get rid of the huge exhaust, I have seen the Wasp bike Motoradd carbon can but it seems most have fitted Remus or Akropovic. Can you run the Remus and discard the huge exhaust guard?

Dunno, but I do know Geoff at Hilltop has already remapped a Super Tenere so he may have seen some aftermarket exhausts or know how they perform.

The Yamaha panniers are a ridiculous price, and ideally I would like to get the exhaust tucked away and fit something like Metal Mule, with two balanced panniers; anybody done this? And discard the pillion seat and mount the top box further forward? I notice Nick Sanders XTZ has Touratech luggage, is this the better option?

I am not too keen on Yamaha luggage either, got prices for Trekker and they ain't much cheaper - plus have a nasty reputation for leaking, be interested to hear what you do find.

Oxford heatd grips, presumably the original ones seem o be the choice (unless you have the £200 Yam ones). I believe there is a ready made connector on the loom by the battey, is this easy to conect to , and where is the best place to mount the control?

The Oxford stuff is not great quality from what I have seen / heard, and I have read in reviews the yamaha ones work very well and have a variable temp control - but they are bloody pricey and bolt on as an afterthought which annoys me, BMW for all their faults always do abloody good job on extra's and luggage - take note Yamaha!

Bought the Tenere as the prices are now more sensible, traded my XT660R in against it after a 2 month//15,000 mile trip on it this year, where it didn't miss a beat and convinced me of Yamaha reliability. (Won't part with my 1100GS though, )

I only want one for the reliability, the power is similar and handling on-par with the GS, but the luggage is pants as are the controls with no bar-operated computer, heated grips are bold-ons :blagblah The Jap engineers spent too much time, er, engineering and less (no) time thinking about the little things that make ownership / touring so much easier - will also miss easy wheel changes (But bet the Yamaha design won't have FD issues)

Hope someone can offer me the benefit of their experience

Likewise, let us know how you get on :thumb

Also Advrider has a number of threads , though these tend to migrate to the http://www.yamahasupertenere.com/index.php?action=forum mentioned already.

I recommend the Yam OEM LED indicators, they are shed loads better than the cheap as chips originals (even the 660Ten had better ones)

I also have the oxford (superbike?) heated grips. work a treat able to mount the control on the RHS bar (Brake M/C clamp) and at the price I could buy it a few times over compared to the price of yam oem. I connected mine to an ignition controlled relay taking juice from the battery to avoid ignition off flat battery moments and still have good current flow for high heat settings.

Luggage? I've got the yam side cases (came with bike) and are ok if a little fiddly on the locks. If I had to buy new i'd look at touratwats new ones. I also have an HB Xplorer topbox (leftover from my xt660z) its ok but not that good considering the price.. would look at touratwat again if I had to replace.

misc replies

have a look at xt660.com good advice and kevs mods worked well on the 660

have a look at the single system from MTC or ask if they are doing a 1200 yet

all expensive i had verm make a set of 9" that went on TT rails (still have them)

I saw in one of the threads that someone has turned the throttle upside down so that the cables are out of the way, is this is a simple process?

Have ordered SW Motec crash bars and bash plate.
better than the MM stuff i had screen clipped a tree off road and shattered and the engine bars kept coming loose:comfort

S10

Thanks for all the input guys, I am now reading 3 more forums, and getting inspired; just need to get the bike home.

BTW, my XT660R 2009, 18,000 miles, in fairly good condition will be for sale when it gets home from galveston.

Like Finn said reference the panniers, get a set of rails and have Vern knock you up a set of panniers to suit:thumb

I'm quite liking the Super Ten now the price is more sensible. It will be interesting to hear how you get on with it:thumb

Super Tenere

Had my Super Tenere for a couple of weeks. Just had it's first service. It's a fabulous bike and the more I ride it, the more I come to the conclusion that it is the ideal bike for me. Compared to my 1100GS it is smoother, more nimble and wiith the seat in the lower position I can get both feet flat on the ground (but I prefer it in the higher as it is comfier on the road). Haven't used its full performance as it is just run it, but it is quick enough, just don't expect sports bike power. Screen, handguards work well, no buffeting for my 5'10" - it's just a really nice ride. I bought it in standard trim, so no panniers etc., but it was good value at under £10,000 ( stil alot of money.....but I did want a new bike). Can recommend Groombridges in Sussex.

It is still pretty much standard other than SW Motec crash bars, fender extenders, tank pad and home made camel toe. I have bought some Yamaha FJR heated grips off ebay (new set, with all wiring, switch etc for £100 off ebay) as the S10 ones are a ridiculous £200+, so hoping to wire them into the connector already on the loom. I have also bought some led indicators and fog lights, so need to start wiring, but I am never too confident so will have to take it carefully and make sure everything is well protected by fuses/relays etc.

I have been to speak to Metal Mule as I have some of their mk2 45 litre panniers, and they are in the process of developing a balanced system for the Super10, using their Scorpion exhaust system. so as soon as they are available will get the panniers fitted. They are also developing a bash plate, so it will be one of theirs or a SW Motec. Going to the NEC show so will see if there are any deals. May buy some TTech heel guards and a brake lever extension.

Have sprayed the bike with ACF50, so hopefully it will survive the winter!!

Glad you like it :thumb

Still considering one myself, fancy running one next summer and then deciding if I want to keep it or revert to the GS.

I like the look of the SW Motec Trax luggage myself with the 37L / 45L pannier combination - bigger than Vario's by about 14L and a lot bigger than the Yamaha's paltry 61L combined capacity (one of the real Yamaha f*** ups with the bike - the other big one being Heated Grips not being standard). The SW rails are also quick detach, so although not as neat as the way the Yamaha luggage integrates they come off in seconds.

I would am currently seeing if anyone offers a shock with ride-height adjustment to sharpen the steering (another Yamaha error, surely they rode a GS and noticed how well it turns?) There are jackup kits out there already for this, but I understand you need to do a bit of welding on the bike which is a bit extreme for me.

I would also probably want to get the Diapson mapping done, it gives an extra 10BHP and lifts the restrictions in 1st - 3rd the bike has as standard, I would hope this also removes the dullness from the motor.

On the performance front, we’ve test ridden the ST1200 with Diapason R engine mapping at a pace not alltogether touring. This kind of technology gives greater torque and performance to the bike with Sport settings, but leaves the Touring settings as they are for a more relaxed ride. The new Sports setting is a more marked departure from the previous one and certainly highlights the difference between touring and sports riding much more.

http://www.twowheelsblog.com/post/6674/yamaha-super-tenere-diapason-racing-sporty-future-for-xt1200z

Apparently this does not void warranty as Diapson have developed it with Yamaha "in the loop". Hoping someone will offer the remap in the UK otherwise you have to ship your ECU to Italy, although they are close enough to the Alps for me to drop in when next on tour :)

If you have spoked wheels make sure you wipe them over with an oily rag as they won't take kindly to winter riding :thumb2

Oxford grips - wire them into the 4-pin plug that you'll find tucked behind the wiring in front of the battery. I just snipped the live and neutral wires from that plug and put another connector to go to the grips. Thats a switched live as well so no probs when the ignition is off.

Switch is mounted on the left mirror. I drilled a larger hole in the metal mount that comes with the grips, trimmed the excess off with a dremel, and put the mirror bolt through the mount. Sorted.

Heated grips

I have located the socket for the Yam heated grips, and am sure that I can figure out positive and earth feeds, but can I just connect the FJR set up that i bought off ebay (which has the Yamaha switch system the smae as the XTZ) without any need for relays, fuses etc. The wires seem fairly light gauge and I was going to use the positive feed to trigger a relay but just plug and play would be a whole lot easier.

BTW I have read somewhere that this positive feed is only live with the engine running.

Yes its a switched live so you're ok when the ignition is off. Wires are thin as the amps are small.

GSA screen on S-10

Apologies if this seems a little off subject, but , having ridden a GSA and enjoyed brilliant non-buffering riding, it seems the S-10 could do with a GSA mod. Anyone considered butchering a GSA sceen and winglets and see if it could be fitted to a S-10? The WASP mobile has a modified screen also, but wonder if there is anyone who could try a GSA equivalent. Just curious

Apologies if this seems a little off subject, but , having ridden a GSA and enjoyed brilliant non-buffering riding, it seems the S-10 could do with a GSA mod. Anyone considered butchering a GSA sceen and winglets and see if it could be fitted to a S-10? The WASP mobile has a modified screen also, but wonder if there is anyone who could try a GSA equivalent. Just curious

I've found the stock screen to work well, though this is coming from riding the occasional ducati (not multistroodles) and an XTz660 which tried to rip your head off at legal m-way speeds with its screen turbulance, so fairly used to the head in the windstream/and asociated noise (if I want car like tranqulity use a car?).
Ps Yam do offer a "different" screen (wider and more sloped not higher) and also have "winglet" type bits, both in the accessory catalogue.

Givi split screen

Good link , however, personally I think a Givi split screen like that looks a bit daft. The BM's are so well engineered and can't see why the japs couldn't have done more research on this ! I have ridden 100's of miles with mates on sports bikes and then stopped to find the GSA screen blasted with bugs and not a single one on my visor but my mates all have the equivalent on their visors. To me, this is one major flaw of the S-10. But I need to go for a test ride and make a personal comparison I guess.

I have got used to the Givi's looks now and if anything it suits the Yamaha a bit better.

The ease and range of adjustment on the Givi is very good and I would definately get one for the Yamaha.

A 1200 boxer engine
Telelever suspension.:thumb

You'll have a decent bike then :beerjug:

Back
Top Bottom